73 Spider - SPICA

Old June 8th 05, 02:36 PM
Paulus-Milanomotorsport

"~Zaitsev" wrote:
> The engine runs rich and back fires on deceleration. Someone
> said that
> it had to be tuned to run rich so that it would start cold. I
> was
> wondering if this might be the Thermostatic Actuator? Now for
> more
> questions:
> 1. What does this actuator do?
> 2. Where the heck is it? I've looked at the engine and the two
> books
> that I have. The books don't even mention it.
> 3.Since it rarely gets that cold here in Texas, I was
> wondering if I
> could lean it out a little...if so, how?
>
> Thanks.
>
> W Roberts
> San Antonio, TX

I know of several Alfa Spiders with SPICA fuel injection that were
imported here (UK) from the USA, mainly around 1990, and all were
converted to twin dual-choke carbs because of the problems that the
injection used to give.

Over here you can pick up a set of carbs with manifold etc fairly
cheap from a scrap yard ’cos all the bodies have rusted away from the
mechanical bits! Although they may be getting scarce now!

If you are having REAL problems then a carb conversion may well be
worth thinking about, although it will work out more expensive than
the $40 you are looking towards at present!

Paulus

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Alfa-Romeo...ict121545.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=601690
Old June 8th 05, 05:19 PM
alfistagj

"0_Qed" > schreef in bericht

> Seems to me the Montreal/Spyder cyl 'volume', and comp ratios, differ
> ..
> yes/no ???
> Calls for a differently 'tuned' pump ... ???
> yes/no ???

NO!!
The poor/rich setting is completely identical and there is only one (1)
device that is operated by the TA.
So TA's are identical as well (but some have a straight in stead of a 90dgr
connection of the tube)
Extension is the same (see graph in earlier mail)
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old June 9th 05, 01:49 AM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:42:37 -0500, ~Zaitsev >
wrote:

>I'm having a machinist fabricate a dummy TA ($40 bucks). If it
>doesn't work, I'll spring for a remanufactured one. But when I
>remount it, should I add change any lube oil in this section or just
>reinsert it and bolt it down?
>
>Tnx,
>
>WR

You might want to take a look at this thread on the AlfaBB: Making a
Dummy Thermostatic Actuator
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/show...ht=dummy+SPICA

A quick search of the board using "dummy" and SPICA kick up a number
of threads that might prove of interest to you.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sear...earchid=135954

There are some real SPICA pros over there, and I'm sure they'd be glad
to answer more of your questions.
--Vic