'88 325 - Is my air compressor working?

Old May 27th 08, 05:48 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
cosmo[_20_]

Default '88 325 - Is my air compressor working?

Having A/C troubles here. I turn the temp dial to the left, push the
air vent slides to the middle and push the a/c button. The engine rpm
comes up about 200 and the engine sounds like it's working way harder.
Air that's not hot comes out of the console but there's no air
conditioning going on here to speak of. I ran it about 10 minutes
without any change.
Does this mean that the compressor is ok but the R12 has leaked out,
melting the polar ice caps? I can't see anything in the sight glass
located near the passenger side headlight bucket but if I push the
fill thingy that's next to it with my keys you can hear air leaking
out. Any advice for do it yourselfers?
Old May 27th 08, 08:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:48:20 -0800, cosmo > wrote:

>Having A/C troubles here. I turn the temp dial to the left, push the
>air vent slides to the middle and push the a/c button. The engine rpm
>comes up about 200

The engine speed should stay the same as the extra fueling and revs are there to
compensate for the compressor drag.

If you have no liquid to compress then the compressor will not run as the
pressure switch will not allow the clutch to engage and if there is JUST enough
pressure there to let it run there won't be any cooling and the compressor ha
very little to compress.

>and the engine sounds like it's working way harder.
>Air that's not hot comes out of the console but there's no air
>conditioning going on here to speak of. I ran it about 10 minutes
>without any change.
>Does this mean that the compressor is ok but the R12 has leaked out,

If you're are still running on R12 then you really need to get it re gassed with
R134a I think but any 1/2 decent AC guy would know the exact drop in replacement
gas. You will also need a filter/drier and possible an new condenser and O
rings

>melting the polar ice caps?

Do you really think that is actually happening????

It's all a great big con to hike the price of fuel and to reduce the use of
leisure time and to ban cars from city centers in the name of conservation....
load of old ********!

>I can't see anything in the sight glass

Therefore you are EMPTY

>located near the passenger side headlight bucket but if I push the
>fill thingy that's next to it with my keys you can hear air leaking
>out. Any advice for do it yourselfers?

If you live in Alaska do nothing - if you live in CA or FL then get it fixed.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old May 27th 08, 01:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:48:20 -0800, cosmo > wrote:
>
>>Having A/C troubles here. I turn the temp dial to the left, push the
>>air vent slides to the middle and push the a/c button. The engine rpm
>>comes up about 200

> The engine speed should stay the same as the extra fueling and revs are
> there to
> compensate for the compressor drag.

How many BMW's have you had? All five of mine have done this.

My guess is that you have very little refrigerant left, so you will need to
find the leak and refill.

> If you live in Alaska do nothing - if you live in CA or FL then get it
> fixed.

If you live in FL, move away from the coast...

Old May 27th 08, 05:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 27 May 2008 13:27:25 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:48:20 -0800, cosmo > wrote:
>>
>>>Having A/C troubles here. I turn the temp dial to the left, push the
>>>air vent slides to the middle and push the a/c button. The engine rpm
>>>comes up about 200

>> The engine speed should stay the same as the extra fueling and revs are
>> there to
>> compensate for the compressor drag.

>How many BMW's have you had? All five of mine have done this.

5 or 6 starting with a '76 E3 - you probably never heard of that one. 3.3Csi 323
x 2 730 & 735 then E38 740i x 2 and now an E65 730d SE + the odd Lambo and a
couple of Ferraris not to mention a whole host of Mercedes, UK Fords and a few
Nissan Skylines.

How many have you had....?

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

AC compressor oil Martin Krumpholz Audi 10 July 19th 06 12:59 AM
low break pedal, non-working parking break - self-adjusters not working? [email protected] Technology 13 December 24th 05 12:32 PM
AC Compressor Gone? hokie BMW 3 September 4th 05 04:01 PM
Help - ID my A/C Compressor Bob-O Technology 3 June 20th 05 05:19 PM