Tyres: Best foot forward? or back?

Old August 20th 04, 11:04 PM
Thomas Strandtoft

Buzzardous Cross wrote:

> But maybe now I should ask:
> Is it better to have the handbrakes at the front or back!!!

In the front ofcourse, why else would the Alfasud have it?? :-)

--
Hygge..
Thomas

<http://www.carftp.com> - a library of car videos.
Old August 20th 04, 11:19 PM
Thomas Strandtoft

Zathras wrote:

> Keep up to date my man! Did you do your test when most cars had drum
> brakes on the rear?

A lot of cars has drum brakes on the rear these days, it's rather
common.. People say that rear disc brakes tends to rust, my
opinion is that they should learn to use their brakes properly..

Personally, I only use neutral when I am pushing my car, tweaking
something in the engine compartment with the engine running or
scraping ice of the windows while the car is heating up.

Old August 21st 04, 08:19 AM
Catman

Thomas Strandtoft wrote:

> Catman wrote:
>
>> Not sure about that, old chap. I understood that the reason that front
>> brakes are more powerful than rears was simply because when you brake,
>> the weight of your vehicle shifts forwards, reducing the donwforce on the
>> rear
>> wheels. You learn about this in a hurry when biking.

> Yeah, but as a biker you also know how important rear brakes are
> for stability while stopping, they make quite a difference in
> combination with the front brake even if they are lousy on their
> own..

Indeed so

>> There is simply no point in having more powerful brakes on the rear since
>> they will always lock before the fronts (in a straight line of course)

> And if the lock, you lose stability, again proving my point that
> it is important to make sure they don't lock easily = put on good
> tyres.. :-)

Indeed, I was certainly not arguing that, I was just questioning a 'device'
that reduces braking power to the rear wheels, or whatever it was.

>> However, I may have misunderstood / not explained very well. But I do
>> have
>> an excuse for the latter: It's my birthday and I'm rather well down this
>> rather good bottle of wine

> Greetings, mate..

TYVM

>> Triumph Speed Triple: Black with extra black bits

> No more Monster 600?

Not since December last. Sadly it was loosing out in brakes, suspension
and power terms to my riding. Plus it was doing a passable impression of
an 80s Alfa. There were som other econmic reasons as well. I woul *love*
another one if I get to a situations where I can have a toy bike as well as
toy cars
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old August 21st 04, 08:30 AM
Zathras

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:19:54 +0200, Thomas Strandtoft
> wrote:

>Zathras wrote:
>
>> Keep up to date my man! Did you do your test when most cars had drum
>> brakes on the rear?

>A lot of cars has drum brakes on the rear these days, it's rather
>common..

IMHO, not as common as it was.

>People say that rear disc brakes tends to rust,

The issue I've experienced with rear disks brakes (particularly with
single caliper type) is sticking and so squeaking. The *fix* is a
clean out then copper grease. I've never had a problem with rust on
them...yet!

<Snip>

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old August 21st 04, 08:43 AM
Thomas Strandtoft

Zathras wrote:

> >A lot of cars has drum brakes on the rear these days, it's rather
> >common..

> IMHO, not as common as it was.

Rear disc brakes are starting to reappear on "sporty" cars,
typically the top of the line for a model. If you live in Monaco,
most cars will propably be the powerfull ones with rear discs, but
in Denmark, I'd say that 7 of 10 cars in a parking lot has drums
in the rear..

> The issue I've experienced with rear disks brakes (particularly with
> single caliper type) is sticking and so squeaking. The *fix* is a
> clean out then copper grease. I've never had a problem with rust on
> them...yet!

The grease lasts until the first time you get the brakes really
hot, them it melts away.. The *fix*, in my opinion, is frequent
use.. A driving style that includes the use of the rear brakes are
also a lot funnier than spending the weekend under the car,
greasing the brakes.. :-)

Old August 21st 04, 11:03 AM
Alfistagj

"Thomas Strandtoft" > schreef in bericht
> Zathras wrote:
>
> > The issue I've experienced with rear disks brakes (particularly with
> > single caliper type) is sticking and so squeaking. The *fix* is a
> > clean out then copper grease. I've never had a problem with rust on
> > them...yet!

You never grease the braking surface of the pads (or at least you
shouldn't), but the assembly parts.
It is not the braking surface that squeeks, but the vibration in the pad
that makes that sound.
Thats why the so called anti-squeek spring plate is there.
Just a matter of correct assembly.
After the braking action, the pads should come free from the disc; this can
only happen when
1. they are correctly mounted in the first place
2. clearance between brake caliper and pads is sufficent, so when assembling
new pads see to it that the caliper is absolutely clear to the bare metal
and the pads are cot covered with a huge layer of paint on the sides. after
the braking. When you grease the sides or rear of the pad, normal street
dirt, but worse, the worn off "dust" from the pads' friction material and
the worn off steel dust from the discs can nicely attach to the grease and
do exactly the opposite of what you are trying to obtain.
Brake pads will stick, resulting in more brake force has to be applied to
get a good brake action (= less braking power) as well as brake pads will
not come loose from the disc completely so the will keep rubbing against the
disc (=extra wear & additional "drag"which costs power!) and you may hear
the sound that goes with it. And when eventually the pads are worn to the
steel, they will start making a squeeking sound which goes with the
steel-to-steel rubbing

> The grease lasts until the first time you get the brakes really
> hot, them it melts away.. The *fix*, in my opinion, is frequent
> use.. A driving style that includes the use of the rear brakes are
> also a lot funnier than spending the weekend under the car,
> greasing the brakes.. :-)

Now you're my friend!!

--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old August 21st 04, 11:05 AM
Alfistagj

"Catman" > schreef in bericht
> Thomas Strandtoft wrote:
>
> > Yeah, but as a biker you also know how important rear brakes are
> > for stability while stopping, they make quite a difference in
> > combination with the front brake even if they are lousy on their
> > own..

> Indeed so

And that's what in driving a car they call a "rear wheel slip"

Old August 21st 04, 09:34 PM
Thomas Strandtoft

Alfistagj wrote:

> > also a lot funnier than spending the weekend under the car,
> > greasing the brakes.. :-)

> Now you're my friend!!

Thanks, and right back at you.. :-)

Old August 21st 04, 10:31 PM
Zathras

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:03:28 +0200, "Alfistagj"
> wrote:

>"Thomas Strandtoft" > schreef in bericht
>> Zathras wrote:
>>
>> > The issue I've experienced with rear disks brakes (particularly with
>> > single caliper type) is sticking and so squeaking. The *fix* is a
>> > clean out then copper grease. I've never had a problem with rust on
>> > them...yet!

>You never grease the braking surface of the pads (or at least you
>shouldn't), but the assembly parts.
>It is not the braking surface that squeeks, but the vibration in the pad
>that makes that sound.
>Thats why the so called anti-squeek spring plate is there.
>Just a matter of correct assembly.
>After the braking action, the pads should come free from the disc; this can
>only happen when
>1. they are correctly mounted in the first place
>2. clearance between brake caliper and pads is sufficent, so when assembling
>new pads see to it that the caliper is absolutely clear to the bare metal
>and the pads are cot covered with a huge layer of paint on the sides. after
>the braking. When you grease the sides or rear of the pad, normal street
>dirt, but worse, the worn off "dust" from the pads' friction material and
>the worn off steel dust from the discs can nicely attach to the grease and
>do exactly the opposite of what you are trying to obtain.
>Brake pads will stick, resulting in more brake force has to be applied to
>get a good brake action (= less braking power) as well as brake pads will
>not come loose from the disc completely so the will keep rubbing against the
>disc (=extra wear & additional "drag"which costs power!) and you may hear
>the sound that goes with it. And when eventually the pads are worn to the
>steel, they will start making a squeeking sound which goes with the
>steel-to-steel rubbing

My brakes have been fine for 2.5 years since their last *clean out and
copper grease*!

>> The grease lasts until the first time you get the brakes really
>> hot, them it melts away..

Seems to work ok for me though.