What I want vs. what the reality could support

Old February 12th 11, 11:39 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
Dave Plowman (News)

Default What I want vs. what the reality could support

In article >,
dizzy > wrote:
> I also have a perception that they don't work as well in colder
> climates - because they are so efficient, they are slow to warm up and
> the heaters have poor output.

You fit a diesel burning cabin heater - which also means it can be on a
timer so the car is warm first thing.

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old April 6th 11, 11:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Feb 12, 1:39*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:
> In article >,
> * *dizzy > wrote:
>
> > I also have a perception that they don't work as well in colder
> > climates - because they are so efficient, they are slow to warm up and
> > the heaters have poor output.

> You fit a diesel burning cabin heater - which also means it can be on a
> timer so the car is warm first thing.

Maybe for some users the novelty of tinkering with the menus through a
knob is a sell,
but I;m sick of computers at work. But, then it could be that MMI and
iDrive came a long way since 2003
A6 where I saw webasto configuration in action.

A default of now plus 24 hours minus 15 minutes on webasto seems
completely arbitrary to me.
After I saw the system in action I thought to myself "thanks, but no
thanks".

I'd leave diesels+webasto to drivers with patience.

Still, there are a ton of sunbelt states where 25/75 diesel/petrol mix
just does not make sense.
On the other hand there is nothing, aside from cost, preventing brain
challenged customers in snowbelt from buying a diesel.

Hence to sell diesels only on top of the line models in the states
makes a lot of sense.
335d -> sunbelt car
325xi -> snowbelt

I have visions of next vevrsion of iDrive greeting a user of 335d with
"you are an idiot" message on the dash
once 0F and lower outside temp is detected.
Old April 6th 11, 11:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

Old April 6th 11, 04:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
Zathras

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 03:28:04 -0700 (PDT), AD > wrote:

>I have visions of next vevrsion of iDrive greeting a user of 335d with
>"you are an idiot" message on the dash
>once 0F and lower outside temp is detected.

...then if the speedometer goes above 5mph the sign would change to
"you are a genius!" :-)

Old April 6th 11, 04:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
Zathras

Old April 7th 11, 03:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2011-04-06 06:28:04 -0400, AD > said:

> On Feb 12, 1:39*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
> wrote:
>> In article >,
>> * *dizzy > wrote:
>>
>>> I also have a perception that they don't work as well in colder
>>> climates - because they are so efficient, they are slow to warm up and
>>> the heaters have poor output.

>> You fit a diesel burning cabin heater - which also means it can be on a
>> timer so the car is warm first thing.
>>

> Maybe for some users the novelty of tinkering with the menus through a
> knob is a sell,
> but I;m sick of computers at work. But, then it could be that MMI and
> iDrive came a long way since 2003
> A6 where I saw webasto configuration in action.
>
> A default of now plus 24 hours minus 15 minutes on webasto seems
> completely arbitrary to me.
> After I saw the system in action I thought to myself "thanks, but no
> thanks".
>
> I'd leave diesels+webasto to drivers with patience.
>
> Still, there are a ton of sunbelt states where 25/75 diesel/petrol mix
> just does not make sense.
> On the other hand there is nothing, aside from cost, preventing brain
> challenged customers in snowbelt from buying a diesel.
>
> Hence to sell diesels only on top of the line models in the states
> makes a lot of sense.
> 335d -> sunbelt car
> 325xi -> snowbelt
>
> I have visions of next vevrsion of iDrive greeting a user of 335d with
> "you are an idiot" message on the dash
> once 0F and lower outside temp is detected.

Horse caca. The 335D has got plenty of ooomph with tons of torque.
Put four good snow tires on it and it will survive very nicely in the
snowbelt states. With mileage in the high 30s (I believe BMW quotes
37mpg), you have a good looking, sporty car, *and* economy.

I drove the new Audi A8L, A7, and the Porsche Panamera 4s today. Very
impressed with all three of them. Decisions, decisions.

Dave (Istand)
RS6

Old April 7th 11, 03:27 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

Old April 7th 11, 11:53 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
Zathras

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 22:27:42 -0400, D. LaCourse >
wrote:

> The 335D has got plenty of ooomph with tons of torque.
>Put four good snow tires on it and it will survive very nicely in the
>snowbelt states.

You *are* joking?! My 325d is the only car I've ever driven that is
capable of failing to move off *downhill* in snow! Yes, if you can get
it going, it handles impeccably in snow but stopping and starting in
snow often requires divine intervention in these things.

Yes, with preparation and skill these things can go from a to b in
snow but no way is a rear wheel drive automatic BMW going to "survive
very nicely" in a snowbelt. They are for keen drivers who relish a
challenge.

Old April 7th 11, 11:53 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
Zathras

Old April 7th 11, 12:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Apr 7, 1:53*pm, Zathras >
wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 22:27:42 -0400, D. LaCourse >
> wrote:
>
> > The 335D has got plenty of ooomph with tons of torque. *
> >Put four good snow tires on it and it will survive very nicely in the
> >snowbelt states.

> You *are* joking?! My 325d is the only car I've ever driven that is
> capable of failing to move off *downhill* in snow! Yes, if you can get

Let me guess: all seasons on the rear axle?
That or the bold snow tires.

> it going, it handles impeccably in snow but stopping and starting in
> snow often requires divine intervention in these things.
>
> Yes, with preparation and skill these things can go from a to b in
> snow but no way is a rear wheel drive automatic BMW going to "survive
> very nicely" in a snowbelt. They are for keen drivers who relish a
> challenge.

What challenge there is in xi? For all I care you can probably drive
(and stop) on winter slicks with awd.
The tread pattern only comes into play on snow/slush.

Reality of success visittosucceed Technology 0 March 15th 09 01:22 PM
Reality Check-In teem[_1_] Saturn 0 September 23rd 06 03:32 AM
Ford GT vs. GT4 (Reality vs. Virtual Reality) [email protected] Simulators 1 October 12th 05 04:13 AM
Reality check Bob Buchanan Corvette 66 September 23rd 04 03:53 PM