Giulietta - new photos

Old December 30th 09, 03:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

Default Giulietta - new photos

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:22:43 +0000, Catman
> wrote:

>Although the design is not the only
>reason, it's a *very* substantial one. The new Alfas (Mito and
>Giulietta) are ugly IMHO.
>
>[1] 12[3] I *think*. I might be more, but I've been celebrating
>birthdays so I may have missed a few.

You must be quite ancient by now.. ;-)

>[2] 4 currently
>[3]
>116 series Giulietta
>116 series Giulietta
>1.5 Sud Sprint
>1.7 Sud Sprint
>3l 75
>2l 75
>2l 75
>2l 155
>2l 156
>2.5l 156
>3.2l GT
>2l 145
>2l GTV
>
>so 13 then in all.
>
>I think that qualifies me to voice my opinion.

I think you're omitting some explanation here. The 75 is no looker
and, to a much lesser extent. neither is the 116. I guess the
reasoning for having one is the engines, handling and character? So
you have traded looks for something else in the past or you're taste
has improved over the years, which I doubt. ;-)

Leaving aside the looks then, I assume you're simply not expecting the
compensations (as there were in the 75 and 116) to be able to overcome
the looks of the latest models? Surely the rot set in many years ago
when Alfa had to migrate their larger cars to front wheel drive?

IIRC, many years ago (before you could type), you weren't that keen on
the front wheel drive 156..maybe the new models will grow on you?

I've another theory which is that, the 156 seriously increased the
expectations many Alfisti have for their Alfas designs and when the,
perhaps, unattainable isn't delivered, the disappointment is
particularly severe?

Anyway, have a good new year..I've got a birthday coming up in the
next few days but I'm so old and senile now, I've no idea which one it
is... At least the bevvy will stop me minding how old and senile I am.
Having said that, I'm at a tender age where hangovers last for days
instead of hours!!!!! :-(

Just a final quick one..out of all your Alfas, which *unmodified* one
did you like the most? 3 litre 75 would be mine.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old December 30th 09, 04:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:20:09 +0000, (SteveH)
wrote:

>Acceleration is very much down to the ratios of the first 1-3 gears - it
>may be that the Alfa looks slow on paper because it needs a gearchange
>where the BMW doesn't - it's not unknown (stares at Citroen in
>particular) for makers to deliberately gear their cars to post
>acceleration times quicker than the opposition (Saab were also very good
>at this in the 80s).

Could be..I don't know if mine will do 100kph in second. I'll try it
once the snow has gone and the stupid thing can negotiate hills!

>Can't really comment on the economy other than what I've posted above -
>I don't know what your real world figures are, but I never get anywhere
>near what the Krauts quote in their official figures (actually, I'm
>nowhere near what the Japs quote, either) - however, I do seem to get
>close to what the Italians quote.

I hear you..I've not enough experience of the 2.4 159 other than
seeing a fair number of complaints that the economy (low thirties) was
nothing like what they were getting on the 156 2.4 (low forties) even
though the official figures are very similar.

>Also off-set the cost, too - if you're leasing, the price gap doesn't
>look too large, but if you're buying, a 159 is significantly cheaper
>than the equivalent BMW. (The 320d SE Auto I was looking at ordering in
>my last job had a list price of £28k..... a 159 2.4JTD Auto was the best
>part of £5k cheaper at the time, and significantly better equipped)

That's also true. However, this time I followed a bit of advice from a
work colleague who advised buying secondhand where the previous owner
was of Indian/Pakistani origins. He recons they look after their
posing machines like no others and, having taken his advice, I do
believe it.

My car is utterly immaculate. On its private plate, everybody thought
it was brand new even though it was a year old and had 8500 miles on
the clock. It was in significantly better condition that my 156 was
when a transporter delivered it with 11 miles on the clock to my house
in 2001. The 12000UKP saving took it well below all the 159 TIs I
looked at and because of the demands of the first owner, it's quite
well equipped too.

>I was also not impressed by the refinement and trim quality of the 320d
>- the 4-pot diesel is quite rough, especially at low revs, and even
>decently specced cars have lots of cheap plastics in them - as well as
>being incredibly sparsely equipped.

Agreed..but quite avoidable if you're prepared to go second hand with
similar money and get a better model.

Old December 30th 09, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

J.D. wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>
>> Sorry. I have no idea how old you are, but I am going to go out on a limb.
>> I have *probably* owned more Alfas than you[1], simply because I have
>> owned more Alfas than most on this group[4]. I probably own more Alfas
>> than you now[2]. Unless Alfa do something about their designs, I won't be
>> buying another 'new' one. Although the design is not the only reason, it's
>> a *very* substantial one. The new Alfas (Mito and Giulietta) are ugly
>> IMHO.

> 1. Old enough. I am young in my head (think so) and that's all.
> 2. Now I have my 8th Alfa Romeo in life. Every one was bought new.
> 3. About "ugly" I said everything I had in my last answer to Zathras.
> 4. Wish you all the best in New year.

And you

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old December 30th 09, 07:30 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:22:43 +0000, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>> Although the design is not the only
>> reason, it's a *very* substantial one. The new Alfas (Mito and
>> Giulietta) are ugly IMHO.
>>
>> [1] 12[3] I *think*. I might be more, but I've been celebrating
>> birthdays so I may have missed a few.

> You must be quite ancient by now.. ;-)

They're like cocktails. When you've had a few, you stop counting

>> [2] 4 currently
>> [3]
>> 116 series Giulietta
>> 116 series Giulietta
>> 1.5 Sud Sprint
>> 1.7 Sud Sprint
>> 3l 75
>> 2l 75
>> 2l 75
>> 2l 155
>> 2l 156
>> 2.5l 156
>> 3.2l GT
>> 2l 145
>> 2l GTV
>>
>> so 13 then in all.
>>
>> I think that qualifies me to voice my opinion.

> I think you're omitting some explanation here. The 75 is no looker
> and, to a much lesser extent. neither is the 116. I guess the
> reasoning for having one is the engines, handling and character? So
> you have traded looks for something else in the past or you're taste
> has improved over the years, which I doubt. ;-)

Heh. Actually I like the looks of both the 116 and the 75. I don't like
pretty cars, as I've said before, but I would say that both had a
certain presence. And they were, in my memory, at least, *different*

I saw a 159 in Lakeside today. I actually thought it was a VW or a Ford
from the back

> Leaving aside the looks then, I assume you're simply not expecting the
> compensations (as there were in the 75 and 116) to be able to overcome
> the looks of the latest models? Surely the rot set in many years ago
> when Alfa had to migrate their larger cars to front wheel drive?

See above.

> IIRC, many years ago (before you could type), you weren't that keen on
> the front wheel drive 156..maybe the new models will grow on you?

I'm still not keen on the 'basic' version. I know everyone takes the
mickey for the pram handle that I liked, but I *always* wanted one with
the sport pack.

> I've another theory which is that, the 156 seriously increased the
> expectations many Alfisti have for their Alfas designs and when the,
> perhaps, unattainable isn't delivered, the disappointment is
> particularly severe?

That is also possible. I just think they've lost the spark. Or seem to have.

> Anyway, have a good new year..I've got a birthday coming up in the
> next few days but I'm so old and senile now, I've no idea which one it
> is... At least the bevvy will stop me minding how old and senile I am.
> Having said that, I'm at a tender age where hangovers last for days
> instead of hours!!!!! :-(

Have a damned good one, old chap (no offence)

> Just a final quick one..out of all your Alfas, which *unmodified* one
> did you like the most? 3 litre 75 would be mine.

Yes. Without a doubt. Sadly it was a total death trap and more air than
steel.

I think it looked the *second* best. The 156s looked the best of the
un-modded ones

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

For sale: Giulietta '78 Monét Alfa Romeo 2 March 17th 06 06:01 PM
Giulietta '78 Monét Alfa Romeo 5 February 13th 06 10:50 AM
GTV and Giulietta SteveH Alfa Romeo 2 September 19th 05 04:39 PM
Giulietta is purring again :) Gordon Alfa Romeo 1 July 7th 04 04:15 PM
I 50 anni di Giulietta Bourne Alfa Romeo 2 May 13th 04 07:30 PM