Another Florida, "Jury Gone Wild."

Old February 1st 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Default Another Florida, "Jury Gone Wild."

Ref: http://www.news4jax.com/news/10903669/detail.html

<< note: above was kinda slow to download. >>

The short of it, The teen driver blew a stop sign and got Darwinized for
it. Grieving parents sue seemingly everyone in sight and get $4 Million
for their daughter's ****ty driving. Ka-CHING!!!

Scott, Brent and a few others, you might want to brace (as I will) for
the inevitable posts from the kids "relatives," that will emminate from
various web based servers.

--
"Who the hell you calling crazy? You wouldn't know what crazy was
If Charles Manson was eating Froot Loops on your front porch...."
Old February 1st 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Peter Lawrence

necromancer wrote:
> Ref: http://www.news4jax.com/news/10903669/detail.html
>
> << note: above was kinda slow to download. >>
>
> The short of it, The teen driver blew a stop sign and got Darwinized for
> it. Grieving parents sue seemingly everyone in sight and get $4 Million
> for their daughter's ****ty driving. Ka-CHING!!!
>
> Scott, Brent and a few others, you might want to brace (as I will) for
> the inevitable posts from the kids "relatives," that will emminate from
> various web based servers.

This link has a bit more detail about the actual accident:
http://www.news4jax.com/news/10882304/detail.html

- Peter
Old February 1st 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article k.net>, Peter Lawrence wrote:
> This link has a bit more detail about the actual accident:
> http://www.news4jax.com/news/10882304/detail.html

Hmm...

"Ladue's family, represented by attorney Bob Spohrer, claims the
intersection was cluttered with debris, barrels, building material and
10-foot high mound of crushed rock that made it nearly impossible for
Ladue to see the oncoming truck."

This sounds like my daily commute home for the last year. I wonder if I
have a lawsuit for emotional distress and lost time when I passed up gaps
because I couldn't see well enough. Seriously, it sounds like she just
didn't have proper training and/or sufficent experience behind the wheel
to deal with that sort of situation.

She may have even been tought to drive by someone who follows the 'other
people will brake for me' method of driving we see all too often on the
road. These are people who take any gap where they feel the traffic
closing in on them has enough time to react and brake for them. Those
sort of drivers who count on "consideration" from other road users to
keep their sheet metal straight.

If they can prove:
"Also, in a complaint filed by the family's attorney, they said the truck
driver had been driving too many hours that day, was speeding and that
the truck only had one working headlight at the time of the crash."

They might have something for a contribution to the collision with the
headlamp and fatigue parts. The speeding part if they can show the
trucker was overdriving his sightlines, which it sounds as though he may
have. Of course that doesn't outweigh the teenager violating
right-of-way rules.

Old February 2nd 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave[_4_]

"necromancer" > wrote in message
th.net...
> Ref: http://www.news4jax.com/news/10903669/detail.html
>
> << note: above was kinda slow to download. >>
>
> The short of it, The teen driver blew a stop sign and got Darwinized for
> it. Grieving parents sue seemingly everyone in sight and get $4 Million
> for their daughter's ****ty driving. Ka-CHING!!!
>
> Scott, Brent and a few others, you might want to brace (as I will) for
> the inevitable posts from the kids "relatives," that will emminate from
> various web based servers.
>
> --
> "Who the hell you calling crazy? You wouldn't know what crazy was
> If Charles Manson was eating Froot Loops on your front porch...."
> --Suicidal Tendencies

"JB Coxwell Construction was found 25.5 percent at fault. Margie Woods
Trucking was found 12 percent at fault. And Brooke Ladue was found 62.5
percent at fault in the collision that took her life.

The jury awarded the Ladue family $4 million in damages."

Let's see here...37.5% of this collision is worth $4 million. $4 mill /
37.5 = $X / 62.5. Unless my math skills are rusty, the dead girl's family
now owes about $6.66 million to JB Coxwell Construction and Margie Woods
Trucking. Hey, fair is fair. If Brooke Ladue was mostly at fault, and
money must change hands, then the Ladue family owes the companies a lot more
than the companies owe the Ladue family. -Dave

Old February 2nd 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Brent P said in
rec.autos.driving:
> If they can prove:
> "Also, in a complaint filed by the family's attorney, they said the truck
> driver had been driving too many hours that day, was speeding and that
> the truck only had one working headlight at the time of the crash."

I have to disagree on this point. After all, motorcycles only have one
working headlight. If could see a motorcycle comming, then she should
beable to see the truck. Granted, the trucker probablly was overdriving
his sightlines, but he did have right of way, which to me makes the girl
100% at fault for the accident.

--
Aunt Judy demonstrates its lack of understanding
of the concept of "</killfile>," and "<killfile>,"

"Now that takes nerve. You claim to killfile
me TWICE in the same thread and you expect
people to take you seriously???"

Ref: http://tinyurl.com/r5qp9
Old February 2nd 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ulf

Brent P wrote:
> In article k.net>, Peter Lawrence wrote:
>> This link has a bit more detail about the actual accident:
>> http://www.news4jax.com/news/10882304/detail.html

> Hmm...
>
> "Ladue's family, represented by attorney Bob Spohrer, claims the
> intersection was cluttered with debris, barrels, building material and
> 10-foot high mound of crushed rock that made it nearly impossible for
> Ladue to see the oncoming truck."
>
> This sounds like my daily commute home for the last year. I wonder if I
> have a lawsuit for emotional distress and lost time when I passed up gaps
> because I couldn't see well enough. Seriously, it sounds like she just
> didn't have proper training and/or sufficent experience behind the wheel
> to deal with that sort of situation.

Yup.

> She may have even been tought to drive by someone who follows the 'other
> people will brake for me' method of driving we see all too often on the
> road. These are people who take any gap where they feel the traffic
> closing in on them has enough time to react and brake for them. Those
> sort of drivers who count on "consideration" from other road users to
> keep their sheet metal straight.
>
> If they can prove:
> "Also, in a complaint filed by the family's attorney, they said the truck
> driver had been driving too many hours that day, was speeding and that
> the truck only had one working headlight at the time of the crash."
>
> They might have something for a contribution to the collision with the
> headlamp and fatigue parts. The speeding part if they can show the
> trucker was overdriving his sightlines, which it sounds as though he may
> have. Of course that doesn't outweigh the teenager violating
> right-of-way rules.

Even with only one working headlight she shouldn't have had any problem
seeing the truck. What if it had been a motorcycle instead? Judging by
the pictures it looks like she pulled out right in front of it too. I
feel bad for the truck driver, think about how he feels after this,
maybe he should sue her family instead...

Ulf
Old February 2nd 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article et>, necromancer wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Brent P said in
> rec.autos.driving:
>> If they can prove:
>> "Also, in a complaint filed by the family's attorney, they said the truck
>> driver had been driving too many hours that day, was speeding and that
>> the truck only had one working headlight at the time of the crash."

> I have to disagree on this point. After all, motorcycles only have one
> working headlight. If could see a motorcycle comming, then she should
> beable to see the truck. Granted, the trucker probablly was overdriving
> his sightlines, but he did have right of way, which to me makes the girl
> 100% at fault for the accident.

Motorcyclists are in the center of the lane and much more visible than a
single headlamp vehicle. I've encountered vehicles that were dark on one
side and because of that, I could not tell they were there as soon as I
would have been able to otherwise. It's not so much that it's one
headlamp, but where that one headlamp is relative to the obstructions.

When a particular teenager took out my passenger side headlamp and
turnsignal/marker light on my mustang the first thing I did was put a spare
maverick turn signal lamp in place of the marker/turnsignal lamp that
was smashed. Shortly after I was able to put a spare headlamp in as
well. I wasn't going to drive around with one light. It looked like ass,
but it worked.

Old February 2nd 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

On Feb 1, 7:59 pm, "Dave" > wrote:
> "necromancer" > wrote in message
>
> th.net...
>

> > Ref:http://www.news4jax.com/news/10903669/detail.html

> > << note: above was kinda slow to download. >>

> > The short of it, The teen driver blew a stop sign and got Darwinized for
> > it. Grieving parents sue seemingly everyone in sight and get $4 Million
> > for their daughter's ****ty driving. Ka-CHING!!!

> > Scott, Brent and a few others, you might want to brace (as I will) for
> > the inevitable posts from the kids "relatives," that will emminate from
> > various web based servers.

> > --
> > "Who the hell you calling crazy? You wouldn't know what crazy was
> > If Charles Manson was eating Froot Loops on your front porch...."
> > --Suicidal Tendencies

> "JB Coxwell Construction was found 25.5 percent at fault. Margie Woods
> Trucking was found 12 percent at fault. And Brooke Ladue was found 62.5
> percent at fault in the collision that took her life.
>
> The jury awarded the Ladue family $4 million in damages."
>
> Let's see here...37.5% of this collision is worth $4 million. $4 mill /
> 37.5 = $X / 62.5. Unless my math skills are rusty, the dead girl's family
> now owes about $6.66 million to JB Coxwell Construction and Margie Woods
> Trucking. Hey, fair is fair. If Brooke Ladue was mostly at fault, and
> money must change hands, then the Ladue family owes the companies a lot more
> than the companies owe the Ladue family.

Based on...?
-----

- gpsman

Old February 2nd 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

necromancer wrote:

> Ref: http://www.news4jax.com/news/10903669/detail.html
>
> << note: above was kinda slow to download. >>
>
> The short of it, The teen driver blew a stop sign and got Darwinized for
> it. Grieving parents sue seemingly everyone in sight and get $4 Million
> for their daughter's ****ty driving. Ka-CHING!!!

If the kid ran a stop sign how can she be only 62.5% to blame ?

Roundabouts would stop this kind of thing happening of course. Expect ambulance
chasers to lobby against them.

Graham

Old February 2nd 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

Ulf wrote:

> Judging by the pictures it looks like she pulled out right in front of it too.

Eh ?

It's hardly touched !

Graham