toyo tires scoring low in a test

Old December 3rd 05, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default toyo tires scoring low in a test

Hey all
When I bought my Miata a few years back, I had to put tires on it
immediately when I got it, so I just got whatever was cheap at VIP, since I
didn't have time to shop around and find out what might be best. But since
then, I've kept my eyes and ears open for what might be a good tire for the
next time. I know there are a lot of people here that have liked the Toyo
T1S, enough so that I figured I might try to track them down when the time
comes, (which I guess would mean the T1R now, which is the replacement for
the T1S, isn't it?)

Anyway, anybody see this article?
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....age_num ber=1

The T1Rs scored fairly low in this comparison. I was just curious what the
group thinks about this, especially those who liked the T1S.

Tonyrama
'93 Crystal White

Old December 3rd 05, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Tonyrama" > wrote:

>Hey all
>When I bought my Miata a few years back, I had to put tires on it
>immediately when I got it, so I just got whatever was cheap at VIP, since I
>didn't have time to shop around and find out what might be best. But since
>then, I've kept my eyes and ears open for what might be a good tire for the
>next time. I know there are a lot of people here that have liked the Toyo
>T1S, enough so that I figured I might try to track them down when the time
>comes, (which I guess would mean the T1R now, which is the replacement for
>the T1S, isn't it?)
>
>Anyway, anybody see this article?
>http://www.caranddriver.com/article....age_num ber=1
>
>The T1Rs scored fairly low in this comparison. I was just curious what the
>group thinks about this, especially those who liked the T1S.

Darn. The Goodyear F1 GS D3 sounds interesting, and I just replaced my
tires. Maybe the new Miata will come with junky tires?

Leon

>Tonyrama
>'93 Crystal White

>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old December 3rd 05, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Tonyrama" > wrote:

> The T1Rs scored fairly low in this comparison. I was just curious what the
> group thinks about this, especially those who liked the T1S.

The test was heavily biased toward autocross-type performance
parameters, with little attention paid to living with the tires on a
daily basis, on real roads. Of course, that would have been much harder
to test objectively, and generated its own spate of arguments.

The differences among the various tires were not very great--all were
good performers, some slightly better than others in the tests used. I
wonder if their "livability" ratings would be as close? Of course, it's
also a matter of personal tolerance; the Toyo ride is worth a lot to me,
but may not be important at all to someone who lives where roads aren't
full of patches and potholes.

I'm assuming the higher placement of tires that Tire Rack sells was
sheer coincidence.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old December 3rd 05, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

The tires tested in the article are all excellent choices. Personal
preferences of the testers play a part in the subjective portions of the
test.

The T1-S or the new T1-R tires are great choices for a Miata. Just because
the Toyo tires did not get rated as highly as some of the others, this
review should not lead you to the conclusion that the performance of any
these tires is poor.

Old December 3rd 05, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

All the above is true but after I read the test, I printed off the summary
sheet on the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 (long name eh?). It's performance
seemed very good, it's price was great and it's main down side was wet
traction. For someone like me who's trying to keep a bunch of cars up, it
looked worth further investigation at least.

Chris
99BBB

ink.net...

Old December 3rd 05, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

For what its worth
I'm running Toyo proxes T1R 195/50 15
Grip is excellent
The car is lowered, with 15inch wheels and Mazdaspeed springs and the ride
is great, even on the crap roads around here.
They are also light and comparativly cheap.
"Would buy again"
Cheers

Neil.

Old December 3rd 05, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Tonyrama wrote:
> Hey all
> When I bought my Miata a few years back, I had to put tires on it
> immediately when I got it, so I just got whatever was cheap at VIP, since I
> didn't have time to shop around and find out what might be best. But since
> then, I've kept my eyes and ears open for what might be a good tire for the
> next time. I know there are a lot of people here that have liked the Toyo
> T1S, enough so that I figured I might try to track them down when the time
> comes, (which I guess would mean the T1R now, which is the replacement for
> the T1S, isn't it?)
>
> Anyway, anybody see this article?
> http://www.caranddriver.com/article....age_num ber=1
>
> The T1Rs scored fairly low in this comparison. I was just curious what the
> group thinks about this, especially those who liked the T1S.

The UK MX-5 owners' club members usually recommend the Eagle F1 (GSD2 or
GSD3 depending on size) or the Toyos.

The F1's do have remarkable grip wet or dry - despite trying, I still
cannot get the rear end to break away.
Old December 3rd 05, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Tonyrama" > wrote:
>
>> The T1Rs scored fairly low in this comparison. I was just curious what the
>> group thinks about this, especially those who liked the T1S.

>The test was heavily biased toward autocross-type performance
>parameters, with little attention paid to living with the tires on a
>daily basis, on real roads. Of course, that would have been much harder
>to test objectively, and generated its own spate of arguments.
>
>The differences among the various tires were not very great--all were
>good performers, some slightly better than others in the tests used. I
>wonder if their "livability" ratings would be as close? Of course, it's
>also a matter of personal tolerance; the Toyo ride is worth a lot to me,
>but may not be important at all to someone who lives where roads aren't
>full of patches and potholes.
>
>I'm assuming the higher placement of tires that Tire Rack sells was
>sheer coincidence.

Your aspersion of dishonesty of the test lacks merit. There are
only two tires that Tire Rack does not sell, the Hankook and
the Toyo. The Hankook ranked 5th, which makes it better than 5 of the
tires that Tire Rack sells, and lower than only four it sells. You
might note that there is already one potential customer here.

The Toyo ranked eight, which is pretty good in view of the fact
that "it never placed higher than eight in any test" and
it finished last in two quite objective tests, the skidpad
and the autocross.

Furthermore, even if the two tires that Tire Rack did not sell
would both have come in last, it would have been unjustified to
insinuate dishonesty. Tire Rack performs its own tire testing;
obviously the choice of the tires that they sell will be based
at least in part on how well the tires perform in their tests.
So there is noting unusual that an independent test, but using
the Tire Rack cars, the Tire Rack track, and some Tire Rack
consulting would come to similar conclusions, even when conducted
by an independent agency.

Leon
Old December 3rd 05, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> "Tonyrama" > wrote:

> I'm assuming the higher placement of tires that Tire Rack sells was
> sheer coincidence.

Why are you assuming this? Perhaps there's nothing to do with
coincidence here at all - perhaps TireRack sells tires that
are popular?

:-)