Grocery cart damages

Old November 21st 05, 03:35 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving

Default Grocery cart damages

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:55:34 GMT, "ameijers"
> wrote:

>I've only seen the gate thing in bad parts of major urban areas, and not in
>many years. If you shop alone, who watches your cart while you get the car?
>No way am I leaving 75 bucks of pre-bagged groceries sitting, with people
>walking by. Way too easy a target of opprotunity.

When I lived in Central Illinois, there was an Eagle grocery store
which had a conveyor belt system much like the luggage conveyors in
airports. You would drive up in your car, the belt would bring your
groceries out of the building, and the attendant would load them into
your car.

Old November 21st 05, 06:29 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving

Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!! wrote:
> zeez wrote:
> > Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!! wrote:

> > > Which is probably why none of the major stores in LA has instituted it.
> > > They don't want to inconvenience shoppers because if they don't have a
> > > quarter, they'll simply walk 50 ft to the competitor next door.

> > On that note, many supermarkets in So Cal have a device built into the
> > shopping carts
> > that locks one of the wheels if you try to take it out of the perimeter
> > that the shop owner
> > has set up.

> Yeah, they have it at some Smart & Final stores.
>

> The electronics side of the system works simaler to the
> > "invisible fence"
> > systems used to keep a dog in the yard without a physical fence.

> I don't know about that. Don't dogs wear collars that shocks them if
> they go over the invisible fence? I believe they can still go over it
> if they're in hot pursuit of a car or an animal.

The dog is shocked. It can go through the invisible fence. It just
doesn't want to get shocked. But when they are chasing things, they
often go through it anyway.

Supposedly the carts have brakes and the invisible fence triggers the
brakes. If you really want to steal the cart, just pick it up and
carry it across the invisible fence.

> This
> > was supposedly
> > done to prevent theft of shopping carts. I wonder what people think of
> > the system, and if
> > they had any problems with it. It would **** me off if the mechanism
> > tripped while in
> > the middle of the store with a cart full of groceries. On the other
> > hand, if it was set up correctly, at least it would prevent runaway
> > shopping carts (me imagines the specticle of the mechanism tripping
> > while one of these carts are flying down the parking lot unattended
> > at 15+MPH
> >

> Wouldn't really matter at the Smart & Final store, since carts don't
> lock up until the entrance/exit of the parking lot.

In theory, the brakes could be fitted with a speed detector. So they
get applied when the cart is going too fast. They could also put the
invisible fence around parking spots. If you are parked legally the
invisible fence will protect you from dings. OTH if you park across
two spaces, then you are vulnerable to dinging. Since these ideas
would cost money to implement, they are unlikely to move forward.

Old November 22nd 05, 12:17 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.misc

Matthew Russotto wrote:

>>The cart is chained to the cart in front in the cart stand. To release it, you
>>must put a local coin worth ($1-$2) in a slot. To get your coin back, you return
>>the cart to the cart stand and plug it back into the cart in front.

> The first supermarket to implement it would lose businesses to other
> supermarkets who did not.

It would attract the people who are sick of getting trolley dents in
their car, though.

Old November 22nd 05, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Old Wolf" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Matthew Russotto wrote:
>>>
>>>The cart is chained to the cart in front in the cart stand. To
>>>release it, you must put a local coin worth ($1-$2) in a slot. To get
>>>your coin back, you return the cart to the cart stand and plug it
>>>back into the cart in front.

>> The first supermarket to implement it would lose businesses to other
>> supermarkets who did not.

> It would attract the people who are sick of getting trolley dents in
> their car, though.

If such machines returned a deposit,kids [or winos]would be returning
abandoned carts for the deposits,and there would be zero carts left in
their parking lots.
People would be pestered by the kids [or winos]for their carts. 8-)

It's also better for the shoppers,as they are virtually guaranteed carts
being there for their use.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old November 23rd 05, 03:29 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.misc

begin quotation
from Clark W. Griswold, Jr. >
in message >
posted at 2005-11-18T15:35
> laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE > wrote:

>>What system is that?

> The cart is chained to the cart in front in the cart stand. To release
> it, you must put a local coin worth ($1-$2) in a slot. To get your
> coin back, you return the cart to the cart stand and plug it back into
> the cart in front.

When we had two Auchan hypermarkets were here in Houston, they had this
system, except using a US quarter as the dollar coins weren't yet in
wide circulation. Surprisingly enough, both of them have since closed,
and none of the other retailers adopted this system.

--
/ __| |/ / _ \ |*| Shawn K. Quinn

S-E Games Announces Long-Awaited "Cart" Sim jason moyer Simulators 1 September 23rd 05 08:04 AM
Buying BMW parts via onine shopping cart Paul Aspinall BMW 0 July 13th 05 01:05 PM
Sloth at grocery stores Tim Driving 6 January 17th 05 03:44 PM
Supreme Court Limits Damages to $1,000 for Misleading Loans MrPepper11 General 14 December 4th 04 06:21 PM
Are auto repair shops liable for damages? sean General 1 May 20th 04 01:10 AM