Teen driver falls asleep, dies, gets $61M

Old November 20th 05, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default The Explorer is Super-Safe (this time) was Teen driver falls asleep, dies, gets $61M

Old Wolf wrote:
> http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14014165
>
> 17 year old driver FALLS ASLEEP at the wheel, and his Exploder
> ends up flipping, killing him. Any normal parent would bemoan
> their son's carelessness and driving while tired. But no, this lot
> gets $61 million from the car manufacturer. I wonder if the parents
> are now contemplating clever ways to off their other children and
> double their money.
>
> I hope (for the sake of US residents who'll end up paying the price)
> that this loses on appeal. God forbid that all cars will now have
> to be designed to not kill their driver if the driver falls asleep.

I've now twice on CBS during football seen 2006 Explorer ads about how
safe it is, with it's Intelligent Safety Systems, meeting federal
standards early, etc.

Maybe they learned something from all these lawsuits.

Dave

Old November 20th 05, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave wrote:
> Old Wolf wrote:
> > http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14014165
> >
> > 17 year old driver FALLS ASLEEP at the wheel, and his Exploder
> > ends up flipping, killing him. Any normal parent would bemoan
> > their son's carelessness and driving while tired. But no, this lot
> > gets $61 million from the car manufacturer. I wonder if the parents
> > are now contemplating clever ways to off their other children and
> > double their money.
> >
> > I hope (for the sake of US residents who'll end up paying the price)
> > that this loses on appeal. God forbid that all cars will now have
> > to be designed to not kill their driver if the driver falls asleep.

> I've now twice on CBS during football seen 2006 Explorer ads about how
> safe it is, with it's Intelligent Safety Systems, meeting federal
> standards early, etc.
>
> Maybe they learned something from all these lawsuits.
>
> Dave

I'm surprised, actually - advertising all those "safety" features seems
to invite lawsuits when morons do what comes naturally.

nate

Old November 21st 05, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dave wrote:
>> Old Wolf wrote:
>> > http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14014165
>> >
>> > 17 year old driver FALLS ASLEEP at the wheel, and his Exploder
>> > ends up flipping, killing him. Any normal parent would bemoan
>> > their son's carelessness and driving while tired. But no, this lot
>> > gets $61 million from the car manufacturer. I wonder if the parents
>> > are now contemplating clever ways to off their other children and
>> > double their money.
>> >
>> > I hope (for the sake of US residents who'll end up paying the price)
>> > that this loses on appeal. God forbid that all cars will now have
>> > to be designed to not kill their driver if the driver falls asleep.

>> I've now twice on CBS during football seen 2006 Explorer ads about how
>> safe it is, with it's Intelligent Safety Systems, meeting federal
>> standards early, etc.
>>
>> Maybe they learned something from all these lawsuits.
>>
>> Dave

> I'm surprised, actually - advertising all those "safety" features seems
> to invite lawsuits when morons do what comes naturally.
>
> nate

I agree. Even a sports car can flip under the right conditions. Fall
asleep at the wheel and the odds are high someone will kick the bucket.
Matters not the vehicle. I suppose had this individual been driving a Civic
and the passenger died from slamming a tree, they would sue Honda for making
a car too small and too light to plow the tree over. Please!

Sloth driver almost dies DTJ Driving 101 November 4th 05 05:07 AM
Lunatic falls asleep at wheel, goes airborne and lands on doodin bed The Man Behind The Curtain Driving 2 June 21st 05 11:20 PM
A Back-Seat Driver For Your Teen's Car MrPepper11 Driving 5 February 28th 05 01:47 PM
BIG BROTHER IS COMING!! (was: teen driver alert) GPSMike Driving 92 December 19th 04 10:50 PM