Truckers Nab Pursuit Suspect on Live TV

Old November 19th 05, 01:20 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,alt.true-crime

Default Truckers Nab Pursuit Suspect on Live TV

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:
>Matthew Russotto wrote:
>

>> >I am not playing around with random definitions. I checked dictionary.com and it
>> >confirmed what I thought I already knew.

>> You're using a general, imprecise, definition of the term where a more
>> precise -- and conflicting -- definition applies.

>WTF are you smoking?

Nothing that detonates, I assure you.

>They are the definitions I found and cited for you.

And they're inapplicable, as anyone with a clue will tell you.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old November 19th 05, 01:37 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,alt.true-crime

"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
?
> Nothing that detonates, I assure you.

<cough>

> >They are the definitions I found and cited for you.

> And they're inapplicable, as anyone with a clue will tell you.

Bingo.

Deflagration and detonation are separated by the speed of sound at sea
level.

Detonation velocity of some compounds of HE can go as high as 26k to 30k
feet per second.

Obviously, nuclear detonation is much more energetic.

The only thing that happens in a diesel or gasoline engine is deflagration,
and in the case of cataclysmic failure, it is simply a mechanical failure.

Detonation is possible, and in fact invited, in engines running
nitromethane.

Ask any kid that tried running Cox airplane fuel in Dads Lawnboy.

Old November 19th 05, 02:55 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,alt.true-crime

Matthew Russotto wrote:

> >They are the definitions I found and cited for you.

> And they're inapplicable, as anyone with a clue will tell you.
> --

Then go ahead and make up whatever definitions you want to suit your purpose.

Old November 20th 05, 11:33 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,alt.true-crime

You're all saying the same thing, basically. Dave S. is right about explosions and the meaning of detonation is the act of detonating or exploding. It all gets down to burn rates and the confinement of the pressure when the gases are released. If you confine the explosion you're transfering the enengy to another area. In an engine it goes to the piston. Stop the piston from moving and the gases have to go somewhere. Ask John Force!!! And when the engine pings that is detonation but so is all of the combustion. Pinging is caused by pre-ignition, that's all.

Spill gasoline on the ground and ignite it and it explodes. But it explodes at a slow rate so we all say it's just burning. It all has to do with burn rates. PETN with burn faster that C4 and C4 will burn faster than TNT.
Old November 20th 05, 11:34 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,alt.true-crime

"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message

> At least one school of thought claims detonation doesn't happen in
> even malfunctioning automobile engines, and that knock and ping are
> caused by intersection of multiple combustion fronts rather than
> detonation.

Now that's a fancy way of saying it pre-ignites.

Old November 24th 05, 04:40 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,alt.true-crime

In article >,
gashauler > wrote:

>You're all saying the same thing, basically.

Err, no, we're not.

>Dave S. is right about explosions and the meaning of detonation is
>the act of detonating or exploding.

He's wrong.

>It all gets down to burn rates and the confinement of the
>pressure when the gases are released.

Burn rates, yes.

>If you confine the explosion you're transfering the enengy to another area.

In this case, if you confine the gases, you don't get an explosion.

>the piston. Stop the piston from moving and the gases have to go
>somewhere.

THEN you get an explosion. But still no detonation.

>Ask John Force!!! And when the engine pings that is =
>detonation but so is all of the combustion.

Nope. The combustion which goes on in an automobile engine is deflagration
combustion, not detonation combustion. The burn rate is FAR too slow
for detonation.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old November 24th 05, 04:41 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,alt.true-crime

In article >,
gashauler > wrote:

>"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
>
>> At least one school of thought claims detonation doesn't happen in
>> even malfunctioning automobile engines, and that knock and ping are
>> caused by intersection of multiple combustion fronts rather than
>> detonation.

>Now that's a fancy way of saying it pre-ignites.

Not necessarily pre-ignition; it could be ignition that occurs after
the spark but in a part of the combustion chamber the main flame front
hasn't yet reached.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old November 24th 05, 03:06 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,alt.true-crime

Matthew Russotto wrote:

> >Dave S. is right about explosions and the meaning of detonation is
> >the act of detonating or exploding.

> He's wrong.
>
> >It all gets down to burn rates and the confinement of the
> >pressure when the gases are released.

> Burn rates, yes.

WTF do you think an explosion is?

> THEN you get an explosion. But still no detonation.

As previously explained, detonation is explosion