car quits

Old June 9th 07, 12:13 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
DD Adkins

Default car quits

HELP!!! My 86 has the check engine light on,on bad days,,on good days it
runs fine,,,anyway somedays it starts out running fine all day then some
it wants to sputter and quit,,,,some times it will sputter and it will
start running fine,,my husband has tried alot of the simple things,air
filter the key ect,,will you guys give me a list of the simple things to
look for and then some harder ones to look for???Also my gas reading is
wrong,,I try to keep it past 3/4 tank,,maybe that had somthing to do
with it,HELP,,I have had it for 5 yrs now,,,he drove it from Tenn,and
handed me the keys and said happy everything. thank you anything
helps!!!!!

Old June 9th 07, 01:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
fweddybear

"DD Adkins" > wrote in message
> HELP!!! My 86 has the check engine light on,on bad days,,on good days it
> runs fine,,,anyway somedays it starts out running fine all day then some
> it wants to sputter and quit,,,,some times it will sputter and it will
> start running fine,,my husband has tried alot of the simple things,air
> filter the key ect,,will you guys give me a list of the simple things to
> look for and then some harder ones to look for???Also my gas reading is
> wrong,,I try to keep it past 3/4 tank,,maybe that had somthing to do
> with it,HELP,,I have had it for 5 yrs now,,,he drove it from Tenn,and
> handed me the keys and said happy everything. thank you anything
> helps!!!!!

It would help if we knew exactly what kind of car you are talking about
here..for instance, an 86 chevy impala that has a certain size engine.
MIleage would also help.
The check engine light can mean alot of things.....usually though (the
simple things) are sensors that are not functioning anymore such as your
egr, or even your catalytic converter has seen its life. you really need to
run a diagnostics on the thing to find out exactly whats wrong with it, then
you can fix it. If you can't diagnose it, you might want to bring it to
auto zone or pep boys, or napa...etc. to have them diagnose it for you.... I
believe its free, but not sure.
If you can smell a rotten egg smell when your car quits, that would be
the catalytic converter that needs replacing.

Hope this helps a little.. its hard to tell you exactly whats wrong
without the diagnostics being done though.

Fwed

Old June 9th 07, 01:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
fweddybear

"DD Adkins" > wrote in message
> HELP!!! My 86 has the check engine light on,on bad days,,on good days it
> runs fine,,,anyway somedays it starts out running fine all day then some
> it wants to sputter and quit,,,,some times it will sputter and it will
> start running fine,,my husband has tried alot of the simple things,air
> filter the key ect,,will you guys give me a list of the simple things to
> look for and then some harder ones to look for???Also my gas reading is
> wrong,,I try to keep it past 3/4 tank,,maybe that had somthing to do
> with it,HELP,,I have had it for 5 yrs now,,,he drove it from Tenn,and
> handed me the keys and said happy everything. thank you anything
> helps!!!!!

Ok.. I thought I was reading the auto tech group..... I now realize its
an 86 vette... but you will still need to run diagnositcs to pinpoint the
trouble...

Fwed

Old June 9th 07, 03:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Diane Adkins

thank you,,forgot to put what kind it was....I know that auto zone does
it free,,when I know a few things at least I can ask and let him think I
know a little,haha,, vette girl 86

Old June 9th 07, 05:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
fweddybear

"Diane Adkins" > wrote in message
> thank you,,forgot to put what kind it was....I know that auto zone does
> it free,,when I know a few things at least I can ask and let him think I
> know a little,haha,, vette girl 86

If its something easy, they can probably tell you how to fix it if its
just a part replacement.....I read a few auto related groups, and should
have realized this was the corvette newsgroup....duh....

Let us know how you make out...

Fwed

Old June 10th 07, 04:37 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Diane Adkins" > wrote in message
> thank you,,forgot to put what kind it was....I know that
> auto zone does
> it free,,when I know a few things at least I can ask and
> let him think I
> know a little,haha,, vette girl 86

going out on a limb here but,
are ya blond, is you name Paris ?
just kiddin :-)

agree with "Fwed".
could be a number of things.
get a diagnostic run and see the results..

g'luck
--
"Key"
=====

Old June 10th 07, 12:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
DD Adkins

thanks guys,I asked about alot of things and yes he did do the
test,,,,changed alot of things,,he really is a good mechanic,,,and maybe
he thinks maybe the calistic converter?? He says the transmision is not
shifting like it use to,,,,it is an auto,,he has even changed stuff in
the computer,,,,some days it just runs fine all day!!!!!!!!!!
frustrating!!!! all well,,thanks guys,I do read just about everyone of
the letters and what Key and dads response is,,,,,and no Key my name
isnt Paris,,,haha,,thanks again!! Diane

Old June 10th 07, 12:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"DD Adkins" > wrote in message
> thanks guys,I asked about alot of things and yes he did do the
> test,,,,changed alot of things,,he really is a good mechanic,,,and
> maybe
> he thinks maybe the calistic converter?? He says the transmision is
> not
> shifting like it use to,,,,it is an auto,,he has even changed stuff
> in
> the computer,,,,some days it just runs fine all day!!!!!!!!!!
> frustrating!!!! all well,,thanks guys,I do read just about everyone
> of
> the letters and what Key and dads response is,,,,,and no Key my name
> isnt Paris,,,haha,,thanks again!! Diane

Do check that converter(s) and for a blocked muffler(s); vacuum test
should do it. Some times the muffler can block and then free up for a
while and then block again.

Old June 12th 07, 01:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
~Di~ ~Di~

Thank you dad I will bring it up in a round a bout way!!!!!!! I will let
you know when and if I get it fixed,,,,Diane

starts then quits blk98cobra Ford Mustang 3 February 12th 07 04:19 AM
97 Caravan quits & won't re-start Ed Chrysler 4 October 9th 05 04:07 PM
Mustang Quits! Dean Ford Mustang 10 April 7th 05 04:08 AM
98 Honda CRV engine quits [email protected] Honda 3 December 17th 04 10:37 PM
windstar quits while driving joedotcom General 0 July 22nd 04 01:27 PM