Error Code 54 -- '96 Civic

Old July 25th 06, 10:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Ducksoup

Default Error Code 54 -- '96 Civic

Hi All,

My Civic's check engine light came on yesterday. I extracted the MIL-blink
code, 5 longs 4 shorts. But I'm having problem deciphering the meaning. Is
this plain 54, which reportedly is the "CKF Sensor (Crankshaft Speed
Fluctuation) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor" or P0054
which means "HO2S Bank 1 Sen 2 Heater Resistance"?

If it is the CKF Sensor. Anyway to check the sensor? Do these go bad often?

Thank you

Old July 25th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Ducksoup" > wrote in
. com:

> Hi All,
>
> My Civic's check engine light came on yesterday. I extracted the
> MIL-blink code, 5 longs 4 shorts. But I'm having problem deciphering
> the meaning. Is this plain 54, which reportedly is the "CKF Sensor
> (Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation) defective circuit or unplugged /
> defective sensor"

Yes.

> or P0054 which means "HO2S Bank 1 Sen 2 Heater
> Resistance"?

No. The MIL-flash is not part of the OBD-II specification and does not
return OBD-complaint codes.

> If it is the CKF Sensor. Anyway to check the sensor? Do these go bad
> often?

FIRST: Clear the code from the ECM. You need to use an OBD-II scanner to do
that properly. Alternatively, you can disconnect the battery for thirty
seconds, but then you need to have your radio anti-theft code handy. Also
you'd need to wait a few days (or longer) for all the readiness flags to be
reset before you could bring it in for a smog check.

If you clear the code and the error does not recur, then it was just
intermittent and may be ignored. It is highly likely that you will discover
the error does not come back.

The CKF is at the rear of the block, just inboard of the timing belt cover,
about in line with the crankshaft's axis. The electrical connector has
three wires. You check it by unplugging the sensor, then checking for 1.6
to 3.3 K ohms between the two outboard wires.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 25th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

Note that in my experience, any problems reported about the CKF sensor could
mean problems with timing belt.

Code was thrown on my sister's 99 civic, cleared the code, next day the
timing belt snapped.

My theory is that the t-belt must have been fraying, and contacted the CKF
sensor causing a fault.

Old July 25th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

PS, when the t-belt popped, it took out the whole CKF assembly, BIG BUCKS
from honda and not available anywhere else. Like $260 for the sensor.

Old July 25th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote in news:63c68029c078d@uwe:

> Note that in my experience, any problems reported about the CKF sensor
> could mean problems with timing belt.
>
> Code was thrown on my sister's 99 civic, cleared the code, next day
> the timing belt snapped.
>
> My theory is that the t-belt must have been fraying, and contacted the
> CKF sensor causing a fault.

Then the OP had better report how many miles and months on his current
belt!

Old July 25th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Ducksoup

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> Then the OP had better report how many miles and months on his current
> belt!

About 4yr. and 40k miles on this belt. The belt didn't looked frayed couple
of months ago, when I had the top timing belt cover and valve cover off.
Not that really means anything...

I wonder though how does a failing belt trip up a magnetic sensor?

Was hoping it was the O2 sensor, if anthing.

Old July 25th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Ducksoup" > wrote in
t:

> "TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
>> Then the OP had better report how many miles and months on his
>> current belt!
>>

> About 4yr. and 40k miles on this belt. The belt didn't looked frayed
> couple of months ago, when I had the top timing belt cover and valve
> cover off. Not that really means anything...
>
> I wonder though how does a failing belt trip up a magnetic sensor?

It might flap around and hit the sensor (guessing here).

In your case I'd say the belt is not the problem, unless it's incorrectly
installed. Incorrect installation can be diagnosed by removing the valve
cover so you can look at the belt.

> Was hoping it was the O2 sensor, if anthing.

Not with that code.

Before you panic and empty your wallet in the nearest auto parts emporium,
try clearing the code and see if it comes back.