Saw a retarded LLBer pull in front of a fire truck with it's lights flashing and it's siren blaring.

Old November 23rd 05, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Saw a retarded LLBer pull in front of a fire truck with it's lights flashing and it's siren blaring.

In article >, Sir Lex wrote:
> I have a red light camera outside my office, the road my office is on is
> a main road often used by emergency vehicles. I have seen many clueless
> drivers who absolutely refuse to budge when their light is red and there
> is an emergency vehicle behind them under lights and sirens, even when
> it is clear that all other traffic has stopped. I can only assume these
> drivers are worried about getting fined by the camera for proceeding
> through the red light (of course, this won't happen when there is an
> emergency vehicle in the photo),

If you think that is the case you are naive at best. It's a machine. It
doesn't know the emergency vehicle is there. Neither will the
drone-like-person who -might- review the picture before sending out the
citation. These people know best, stay put, let the emergency vehicle go
around. It will be endless hassles for them if they go through the red
light or they get to pay the fine. Well actually with lost wages they'll
pay either way.

> and are obviously completely oblivious
> to the fact that they are possibly endangering the life of someone in
> need of urgent medical assistance.

Maybe, maybe not. If slowing emergency vehicles is such an issue then
maybe RLCs shouldn't be used. They are safety negative and revenue
positive.

> I look forward to the day when I'm sitting at a red light camera
> enforced intersection and an emergency vehicle comes up behind me. I
> will do my best to smoke it up through the intersection, then acquire
> the picture from the city's camera office and frame it :-D

Aquire? They'll send it to you. You'll be able to pay up or end up taking
days off to try and clear it.

BTW, there are these gizmos that change the lights to green for emergency
vehicles. I seriously question the priorities of a municpality that puts
in RLCs but not the devices to change the lights to green for the
emergency vehicles.

Old November 23rd 05, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Sir Lex wrote:
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > People this ****ing clueless really have no reason to be alive.
> >

> This illustrates another problem with red light cameras...
>
> I have a red light camera outside my office, the road my office is on is
> a main road often used by emergency vehicles. I have seen many clueless
> drivers who absolutely refuse to budge when their light is red and there
> is an emergency vehicle behind them under lights and sirens, even when
> it is clear that all other traffic has stopped. I can only assume these
> drivers are worried about getting fined by the camera for proceeding
> through the red light (of course, this won't happen when there is an
> emergency vehicle in the photo), and are obviously completely oblivious
> to the fact that they are possibly endangering the life of someone in
> need of urgent medical assistance.
>
> I look forward to the day when I'm sitting at a red light camera
> enforced intersection and an emergency vehicle comes up behind me. I
> will do my best to smoke it up through the intersection, then acquire
> the picture from the city's camera office and frame it :-D

The real problem is that people don't realize you have to be going over
10-15 mph (depending on the system) to trigger it. You can run an RLC
without being photographed. There's a number of reasons for a minimum
speed to trigger the system, I'd assume this is one that hasn't been
mentioned before.

Dave