Pink Kate

Old April 17th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default the reported bear attack

"Kate" (please ask)> wrote in message
> If you carry the right ammunition, most calibers will mushroom.

agreed, but remember to match the ammunition to the weapon. for example,
when i carry a 5" 1911 i carry 230 grain hollowpoint +P .45 acp ammunition.
when i carry a 4" 1911 though, i drop down to a 200 grain hollowpoint +P .45
acp bullet because the shorter barrel doesnt give the 230 grain bullet
enough speed to ensure adequate expansion. the 200 grain in the 4" barrel
is similar in speed to the 230 grain in the 5" barrel.

> the
> .45 is slower than the .357 thus giving it better knock down power

its not that its slower, its that its bigger and heavier.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

Old April 17th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

30-06 in a hand gun? My whole arm aches just thinking about it - no
need for more than one round unless you intend to sacrifice the other
arm for the second shot. Damn! I'm sitting here visualizing the
recoil of a Garand with one tenth the mass to absord recoil and no
shoulder stock.

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:53:00 UTC "Grumman-581"

--
Will Honea
Old April 17th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

my secondary weapon is a 629 classic loaded with 240 grain
> soft points. the soft point doesnt expand as much as a hollowpoint, but
> it still expands while still having awesome penetration. another option
> is the truncated cone from PMC....but for grizzly bear you dont want a
> hollow point or ball, you want a soft point.

Ahh, the Smith and Wesson stainless .44mag. Brings back memories of the old
Sheriffs Dept days when we had to supply our own weapons. I switched over to
the Dan Wesson Pistol pack later.

I believe by soft point, you're referring to a semi-jacketed wadcutter.

Later,

Spdloader

Old IPSC Veteran.
Police / Deputy Sheriff E.R.T. Sniper1985/1992
U.S. Army 3RD 75th Abn.Ranger Rgt.Sniper Bosnia/Sarajevo 1992/1994

Old April 17th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

God, I hate the way my 44 spits. There's a compression ridge in the
cylinder that make slivers, so I have to clean it after each shot.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 17th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

???????

Spdloader

Old April 17th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Im shy, and shallow.

Old April 18th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Because the .45 will mushroom.

The .38 was jacketed round nose... Didn't mushroom at all... Went a few
inches into my thigh and didn't even hit the bone... The doc at the clinic
just put a small bandage over it and told me that it would work its way
through the leg to the back in a few months and I could get it removed at
that time -- like lancing a zit... A couple of months later, I was in Navy
boot camp and went to sick bay and told them I wanted to get the bullet
removed from my leg... They looked at me rather strangely... Apparently,
removing bullets from recruits is not a common occurrence for them...

In case you're wondering how I managed to acquire the .38 in my thigh, it
was due to making the mistake of stopping at a Jack-in-the-Box in Compton
for midnight munchies while driving along the freeway... Apparently, I was
the *only * person in SoCal that didn't know not to go into Compton,
especially at night...

Old April 18th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Will Honea" > wrote in message
> 30-06 in a hand gun? My whole arm aches just thinking about it - no
> need for more than one round unless you intend to sacrifice the other
> arm for the second shot. Damn! I'm sitting here visualizing the
> recoil of a Garand with one tenth the mass to absord recoil and no
> shoulder stock.

After I bought my Winchester 1300 "Defender" with the pistol grip quite a
few years ago, I took it out for some 'plinking'... In the process, I of
course had to try firing it single handed like a pistol... As if just
holding it up wasn't bad enough with all the weight of the ammo out towards
the end, once I fired it, I quickly realized that this was not a good
idea... It tends to destroy your wrist...

A 3" magnum 12-gauge 1-5/8 oz fired at 1280 fps gives you about 2586
ft-lbs... A 9mm *can* give 425 ft-lbs with the right round...
http://www.fiocchiusa.com/cat_centerfire.php
So, *if* someone could empty 50 rounds into the charging bear before
becoming his dinner, you have 21,250 ft-lbs to work with... All in all, I'm
rather glad that I live in Texas where I don't have to make this choice...
<grin>

Old April 18th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You may just see the ridge that squeezes the bullet down shaving a
sliver off of each bullet and spitting it out on the next shot:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/44cyl.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old April 18th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Feel like I'm cracking up.