325 AC - where do you put the R-12?

Old July 1st 08, 04:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
cosmo[_21_]

Default 325 AC - where do you put the R-12?

When recharging the AC on a 1988 325 where do you screw the can in? If
I'm standing at the passenger side fender looking down into the engine
compartment I can see three obvious fittings; one on a line on top of
the fender near the strut tower, one on the rear end of the compressor
body and one near the sight glass. Which one is it? Thanks as always.
Old July 2nd 08, 04:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Michael Yeager

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 07:46:41 -0800, cosmo > wrote:

>When recharging the AC on a 1988 325 where do you screw the can in? If
>I'm standing at the passenger side fender looking down into the engine
>compartment I can see three obvious fittings; one on a line on top of
>the fender near the strut tower, one on the rear end of the compressor
>body and one near the sight glass. Which one is it? Thanks as always.

You want the low pressure side which is the one by the strut tower.
I may catch heat for this but if you have to ask which port to use, I
would like to point out that adding refridgerant can be a hazardous
activity. Try not to get hurt...
Old July 3rd 08, 11:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Michael Yeager" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 07:46:41 -0800, cosmo > wrote:
>
>>When recharging the AC on a 1988 325 where do you screw the can in? If
>>I'm standing at the passenger side fender looking down into the engine
>>compartment I can see three obvious fittings; one on a line on top of
>>the fender near the strut tower, one on the rear end of the compressor
>>body and one near the sight glass. Which one is it? Thanks as always.

> You want the low pressure side which is the one by the strut tower.
> I may catch heat for this but if you have to ask which port to use, I
> would like to point out that adding refridgerant can be a hazardous
> activity. Try not to get hurt...

I have done this, but usually if you need to add refrigerant more than once
in a blue moon*, you probably have a leak and will waste your money.

Usually the top up can comes with full instructions.

If you have some other fault (like failed compressor or just the belt off)
then you might overpressurise the system :-(.

A proper service removes the old refrigerant (for recycling), adds new and
lubricant. They can also insert dye markers to trace leaks.

Make sure you work in a well ventilated area, wear goggles etc., because as
the man says you don't want to get hurt or worse.