Do it yourself alignment

Old July 26th 13, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

Default Do it yourself alignment

On 2013-07-24, jim beam > wrote:
> [...]

>> length of the coiled bar stock, plotted on the bar stock cross-section.
>> With reference to Fig. 1, this is the tangential direction. This map
>> represents the as-cold- coiled spring. The left and right side of the
>> map represent the convex and concave sides respectively"
>>
>> "FIGURE 3. Same as Fig. 2, these data representing the as-tempered
>> spring. The data for the as-bulldozed spring, though not given here,
>> look essentially the same."
>>
>>> * the effect if tempering, as evidenced by #2 is NOT to relieve residual
>>> stress in this frod process. #2 cannot possibly evidence any more
>>> clearly on this. to keep bleating about tempering as somehow relevant
>>> to the residual stress difference between #2 and #3 is a fundamental
>>> misunderstanding. if you were color blind, that might explain, but i
>>> somehow doubt it.

>> I'm not going to argue with you. I am just going to keep cutting and
>> pasting the parts you can't comprehend.
>>
>> "Generally, there are two ways to coil a spring: hot coiling
>> and cold-coiling. Hot coiling implies that the spring is wound from
>> stock at or above the recrystallization temperature. The strength
>> and fatigue resistance are controlled afterwards by an appropriate
>> heat treatment. Cold-coiling means that the helical winding takes
>> place at a low temperature after the spring has been hardened and
>> tempered. Cold-coiling allows the high temperature heat treatments
>> to take place on the bar stock, which is easier to handle than the
>> coiled end-product. _The resulting residual stresses can be essentially
>> eliminated by a relatively low temperature tempering treatment fol-
>> lowing the cold coiling._ "
>>
>> "We have looked at three cold-coiled springs. The first spring
>> is an as-cold coiled spring. The second one is cold-coiled followed
>> by a relatively low temper. The third one is identical to the second
>> one, but _in addition_ to being tempered the spring has been com-
>> pressed to the point where the length of the spring is equal to the
>> number of windings times the wire thickness. After this the spring
>> was allowed to relax. A small part of this torsion strain is in the
>> plastic region, so this spring is slightly shorter than all the others.
>> In the automotive industry this process is known as .bulldozing.."

>> "FIGURE 2. Contour map of the residual stress in the direction of the
>> length of the coiled bar stock, plotted on the bar stock cross-section.
>> With reference to Fig. 1, this is the tangential direction. This map
>> represents the as-cold- coiled spring. The left and right side of the
>> map represent the convex and concave sides respectively"
>>
>> "FIGURE 3. Same as Fig. 2, these data representing the _as-tempered
>> spring_. The data for the as-bulldozed spring, though not given here,
>> look essentially the same."
>>

> why are you repeating stuff you clearly don't understand???
> [rhetorical] it doesn't support what you think you're saying.

You need to re-read it. Eventually you'll grasp it. Maybe.

Old July 26th 13, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 07/25/2013 07:55 PM, Brent wrote:
> [...]
>>> plastic region, so this spring is slightly shorter than all the others.
>>> In the automotive industry this process is known as .bulldozing.."

>>> "FIGURE 2. Contour map of the residual stress in the direction of the
>>> length of the coiled bar stock, plotted on the bar stock cross-section.
>>> With reference to Fig. 1, this is the tangential direction. This map
>>> represents the as-cold- coiled spring. The left and right side of the
>>> map represent the convex and concave sides respectively"
>>>
>>> "FIGURE 3. Same as Fig. 2, these data representing the _as-tempered
>>> spring_. The data for the as-bulldozed spring, though not given here,
>>> look essentially the same."
>>>

>> why are you repeating stuff you clearly don't understand???
>> [rhetorical] it doesn't support what you think you're saying.

> You need to re-read it. Eventually you'll grasp it. Maybe.

"although lacking in academic ability or desire to learn, brent is at
least consistent in his trenchant determination to remain at the bottom
of the class. this stalwart quality will doubtless serve him well in
his prospective career in parking enforcement."

--
fact check required
Old July 27th 13, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2013-07-26, jim beam > wrote:
> On 07/25/2013 07:55 PM, Brent wrote:

>>> why are you repeating stuff you clearly don't understand???
>>> [rhetorical] it doesn't support what you think you're saying.

>> You need to re-read it. Eventually you'll grasp it. Maybe.
>>

> "although lacking in academic ability or desire to learn, brent is at
> least consistent in his trenchant determination to remain at the bottom
> of the class. this stalwart quality will doubtless serve him well in
> his prospective career in parking enforcement."

*yawn*

Keep re-reading it.
Perhaps some day you'll get it. Maybe you'll learn how to communicate
properly too.

Old July 28th 13, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Geoff Welsh

Default not Do it yourself alignment

jim beam wrote:
> ......<big snip>
> prospective career in parking enforcement."

you guys ever see that "reality" show about parking enforcement in some
town (IDK where). Sure makes drivers (parkers) look stupid.

GW