hardwiring electrical 12v accessories in dash ? 98 accord coupe ex

Old February 3rd 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default hardwiring electrical 12v accessories in dash ? 98 accord coupe ex

Hi guys,

So I upgraded from my 91 hatchback civic std to a nice 98 accord coupe
ex
stick shift with leather and coolness.
Now my old car didnt even have a lighter which hurt me like hell being
the
gadget freak that I am. So more than anything else , I was most happy
about
the 12v outlet that I got. I can finally charge my cell phone like
everyone
else Goddammit.
OK the next problem was how to plug in the mp3 player, which I did with
an
pie aux input converter. Now I have a few other devices which are
demanding
that 12v socket for themselves. For eg: gps, pocket pc, cell phone, AA
charger, mp3 player, digital camera etc etc.
I thought that the best way to solve this without making an
entanglement of
wires was to hard wire them in to the electrical system somehow and
hide the
wires. So I can keep the 12v outlet free and hardwire other regualar
stuff
under the dash. I also foresee that i may replace/remove/upgrade/sell
some
of the devices, so their chargers cant exactly be soldered in directly.
So I
bought this thing
http://www.lenmar.com/details.asp?model=SPP04
intending to wire it to the car and sticking it hidden under the dash
somewhere. This way I am only cutting off one lighter head and not all
of
all the chargers. And this also allows me to unplug and remove a
charger if
needed(the hidden wiring will be done is a semi-permanent kind of way)

About the current requirements, since most devices are electronic, I
dont
foresee more than the standard 10amps fuse being needed.

Now I want to ask you experts how I should hardwire this 4 socket cigg
outlet to the car 12v system?
I did lots of research and found about fuse-taps , but I found it was
not
recommended cuz it damages the fuse holder. Even when I decided to do
it
anyway, I found that my car actually has those tiny fuses, not the same
size
as my old civic! I dont even know if there are fuse taps for this size.
was also hoping there would be some unused fuse in there that I could
use?
like the seat heater, which my car doesnt have? Do such fuses have no
power
connected at all?

Is there any other way which does not involve cutting up factory wiring
and
that I can do as an amateur?
and if you do have to splice wires, which ones?
Please help

Thanks,
3ntropy