98 Honda CRV engine quits

Old December 17th 04, 09:43 PM

Default 98 Honda CRV engine quits

My wife has a 98 Honda CRV. I drive it periodically. On many
occasions the engine just quits. It always (except for one time) quits
at very low speeds with the engine at idle and the car barely moving.
I have hardly given it any gas. All of the lights on the instrument
cluster go dark. I put the transmission into neutral and start the
engine and the car runs without a problem for the remained of the trip.
This always (except for one time) occurs just after I start the car
and head out. The one occasion that it did not occur at idle was when
I was driving down the interstate at 70 mph. The engine quit and tried
to start and quit in rapid succession a few times. I put it into
neutral, moved off to the side of the road and restarted the car. The
car continued without further problem. The only other clue that might
help determine the problem is that my wife drives with a heavier foot
than I do. I give the car just a slight amount of gas to get it going
and she gives it much more. She has never had the problem.

Old December 17th 04, 10:15 PM
remcow

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> My wife has a 98 Honda CRV. I drive it periodically. On many
> occasions the engine just quits. It always (except for one time) quits
> at very low speeds with the engine at idle and the car barely moving.
> I have hardly given it any gas. All of the lights on the instrument
> cluster go dark. I put the transmission into neutral and start the
> engine and the car runs without a problem for the remained of the trip.
> This always (except for one time) occurs just after I start the car
> and head out. The one occasion that it did not occur at idle was when
> I was driving down the interstate at 70 mph. The engine quit and tried
> to start and quit in rapid succession a few times. I put it into
> neutral, moved off to the side of the road and restarted the car. The
> car continued without further problem. The only other clue that might
> help determine the problem is that my wife drives with a heavier foot
> than I do. I give the car just a slight amount of gas to get it going
> and she gives it much more. She has never had the problem.

When you say the lights go out, do other things stop working as well?
(Radio, dome light, headlights, etc)
If so, I'd make sure that both postive and ground wires to the battery are
well seated and properly attached on both sides.

Regards,
Remco