hey

Old November 17th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
anthonywilliamschindler

Default hey

I currently own a 1985 toyota pickup 5 speed manual 2wd. It has 125k and
doesnt have alot of power, i was wondering if anyone knew how i could
manually tune up the engine to get more horse power without spending alot of
money. I would like some instructions on how to do that if anyone could help.
.. Thank You

Old November 17th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Al Bundy

anthonywilliamschindler wrote:
> I currently own a 1985 toyota pickup 5 speed manual 2wd. It has 125k and
> doesnt have alot of power, i was wondering if anyone knew how i could
> manually tune up the engine to get more horse power without spending alot of
> money. I would like some instructions on how to do that if anyone could help.
> . Thank You

There must be all kids of ways to get another 30-50 horsepower out of
that engine with some twist of a screw. I'll let others enumerate
them. (I believe on that a metric screwdriver will be needed. )

I'm reminded of dreams that I have had about being seven feet tall and
running so fast nobody could catch me. It was fun while it lasted and
didn't cost me a dime. Dreams are very powerful as you know.

Old November 17th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve B.

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:32:03 GMT, "anthonywilliamschindler"
<u29254@uwe> wrote:

> I currently own a 1985 toyota pickup 5 speed manual 2wd. It has 125k and
>doesnt have alot of power, i was wondering if anyone knew how i could
>manually tune up the engine to get more horse power without spending alot of
>money. I would like some instructions on how to do that if anyone could help.
>. Thank You

Step 1 - Jack trunk up about 5 feet from the floor
Step 2 - Acquire new faster vehicle
Step 3 - Drive said new faster vehicle under truck
Step 4 - Lower truck on to new vehicle and affix with duct tape and
bailing wire.

That's about the only practical way to get more power out of it.

Steve B.
Old November 17th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
anumber1

anthonywilliamschindler wrote:
> I currently own a 1985 toyota pickup 5 speed manual 2wd. It has 125k and
> doesnt have alot of power, i was wondering if anyone knew how i could
> manually tune up the engine to get more horse power without spending alot of
> money. I would like some instructions on how to do that if anyone could help.
> . Thank You

Make sure everything is exactly up to snuff! Are the plugs in good shape
and gapped correctly? Is the secondary ignition system (Dist cap if
applicable and plug wires) in good shape?

Check the carb (I am Assuming a '85 Toyota P/U still has a carb), is it
good and clean? How about all the various filters? How are the vacuum lines?

I dunno if Toyota's of that vintage need valve lash adjustments but my
Nissan truck of that vintage did.

Make everything is as "tip-top" as it can be before you go mounting
crappy oiled cotton air filters and coffee can mufflers.

Good luck
Old November 17th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

"Al Bundy" > wrote in
oups.com:

> anthonywilliamschindler wrote:
>> I currently own a 1985 toyota pickup 5 speed manual 2wd. It has 125k
>> and doesnt have alot of power, i was wondering if anyone knew how i
>> could manually tune up the engine to get more horse power without
>> spending alot of money. I would like some instructions on how to do
>> that if anyone could help. . Thank You

> There must be all kids of ways to get another 30-50 horsepower out of
> that engine with some twist of a screw. I'll let others enumerate
> them. (I believe on that a metric screwdriver will be needed. )

I don't think so. Millimeters are smaller than inches, so the use of a
metric screwdriver will result in *lower* power.

Now if you use a screwdriver calibrated in old Bulgarian prikladoms, hey,
the world's your oyster.

--
TeGGeR®

Old November 17th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Steve B. > wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:32:03 GMT, "anthonywilliamschindler"
><u29254@uwe> wrote:
>
>> I currently own a 1985 toyota pickup 5 speed manual 2wd. It has 125k and
>>doesnt have alot of power, i was wondering if anyone knew how i could
>>manually tune up the engine to get more horse power without spending alot of
>>money. I would like some instructions on how to do that if anyone could help.
>>. Thank You

>Step 1 - Jack trunk up about 5 feet from the floor
>Step 2 - Acquire new faster vehicle
>Step 3 - Drive said new faster vehicle under truck
>Step 4 - Lower truck on to new vehicle and affix with duct tape and
>bailing wire.
>
>That's about the only practical way to get more power out of it.

Well, if it were mine, I'd do a compression test on the engine first. And
then I'd decide what to do. If I saw any leakage on any cylinder, though,
I think I'd probaly try the 4-step method above because it would probably
be the simplest and cheapest route to fix the problem.
--scott
Old November 17th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

anumber1 > wrote:
>I dunno if Toyota's of that vintage need valve lash adjustments but my
>Nissan truck of that vintage did.

They do. And if you make the regularly and you keep your oil changed
regularly, the engine should be just as fine at 125,000 as it was when
it was new.

If you DON'T make them according to the schedule and you DON'T keep your
oil changed regularly, the 2TC engine turns into a slag heap by that time.
--scott
Old November 17th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TomO[_1_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Steve B. > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:32:03 GMT, "anthonywilliamschindler"
>><u29254@uwe> wrote:
>>

>>> I currently own a 1985 toyota pickup 5 speed manual 2wd. It has 125k and
>>>doesnt have alot of power, i was wondering if anyone knew how i could
>>>manually tune up the engine to get more horse power without spending alot of
>>>money. I would like some instructions on how to do that if anyone could help.
>>>. Thank You

>>Step 1 - Jack trunk up about 5 feet from the floor
>>Step 2 - Acquire new faster vehicle
>>Step 3 - Drive said new faster vehicle under truck
>>Step 4 - Lower truck on to new vehicle and affix with duct tape and
>>bailing wire.
>>
>>That's about the only practical way to get more power out of it.

> Well, if it were mine, I'd do a compression test on the engine first. And
> then I'd decide what to do. If I saw any leakage on any cylinder, though,
> I think I'd probaly try the 4-step method above because it would probably
> be the simplest and cheapest route to fix the problem.
> --scott

The main problem with this method being that it is a pickup so it does
not have a trunk.

That's not a big deal though since the additional weight will be minimal
with only duck tape and bailing wire sans actual trunk.

I was thinking that a radiator cap jack may be necessary instead. Same
plan but it is the radiator cap that gets jacked to 5' then lowered onto
the replacement parts. Just be sure to test the rad. cap before driving
off. It may be bad too.

--
TomO