If Aunt Judy Were Mayor...

Old January 5th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default If Aunt Judy Were Mayor...

Scott en Aztlán wrote: <brevity snip>
> And it appears the sign ain't lying, either - as we passed the sign
> (it's on the NB side of I-5 near Buttonwillow), a cop was writing a
> ticket to the driver of a white BMW.

-----
Not picking nits here but... how do you know the driver was receiving a
ticket...? I have no doubt the Bimmer was speeding but, judging from
the "stories" I've heard, the CHP will often stop speeding vehicle,
check it out and hold it up for 15-30 minutes, read the driver the riot
act and then turn them loose with a warning or less.

That sign's been there for quite a while. Drivers from the LA Basin
hit that portion of the 5 and, so rarely seeing a stretch of pavement
not clogged with cars, proceed to drive as if they are totally out of
their ****ing minds. The crashes that occur between the Grapevine and
the 580 are sometimes quite spectacular and almost always completely
shut down that side of the highway for hours... sometimes both sides.

In my experience the CHP is *the* most professional, knowledgeable and
understanding LE group in the country... to a point. I'd guess that
point is about 16 over the 75 limit in that area and I know there's no
shortage of vehicles doing 95-100+.

They were kind enough to place that sign... perhaps blowing a small
hole in the theory held by some that speed limits are solely intended
for revenue generation. If some had to respond to the aftermath of
high-speed crashes, some's perspectives might widen a tad.
-----

- gpsman

Old January 5th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

> In my experience the CHP is *the* most professional, knowledgeable and
> understanding LE group in the country... to a point.

When you compare LE to other LE, it's like comparing one dictator to
another "Well, he didn't brutalize AS MANY people as the other guy...."

Old January 5th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article .com>, gpsman wrote:

> their ****ing minds. The crashes that occur between the Grapevine and
> the 580 are sometimes quite spectacular and almost always completely
> shut down that side of the highway for hours... sometimes both sides.

Sure you weren't watching a re-run of CHiPs?

> In my experience the CHP is *the* most professional, knowledgeable and
> understanding LE group in the country... to a point. I'd guess that
> point is about 16 over the 75 limit in that area and I know there's no
> shortage of vehicles doing 95-100+.

In IL on I294, those doing 95-100+ are the ISP more often than not.