Fan only works on highest setting - 2000 Caravan

Old November 25th 04, 03:20 PM
Gary

Default Fan only works on highest setting - 2000 Caravan

I boosted my 2000 Caravan a couple of years ago (3.8L) and had the fan
switch set at the 2nd highest setting during the boost. Shortly after I
noticed a burning smell that would come and go, smelled like burning
plastic. Then about 2 weeks later the 2nd highest setting on the fan quit
working and the burning smell stopped too. I put 2 and 2 together and
realized I smelled the burning smell when the fan was on the second highest
setting.

Now a few weeks ago all fan settings quit working except the highest. I am
assuming that that is related too to my boosting of the van. Where would be
a good place to start trouble shooting this problem? Help starting to
tackle this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Gary.

Old November 25th 04, 03:28 PM
maxpower

I dont think it has anything to do with it since it has a been a few yrs
ago, more then likely the resistor block is bad, when it goes bad the fan
motor defaults to the highest setting

Old November 25th 04, 03:28 PM
maxpower

Old November 25th 04, 05:10 PM
Gary

Is that something I can check out on my own?

Old November 25th 04, 05:10 PM
Gary

Old November 25th 04, 05:12 PM
Gary

Resistors control the speed of the AC/Heater fan. These resistors are
switched on and off in various combinations to create the different fan
speeds. When the resistors burn out your fan will only work on the "HI"
setting. The "HI" setting doesn't use any of the resistors and that's why it
works. These resistors are near the blower and the blower is beneath the
dashboard on the passenger side.

Found the above, would this be a good place to start if so what do I ask for
at the dealer for a replacement unit?

Thx

Old November 25th 04, 05:12 PM
Gary

Old November 25th 04, 05:29 PM
Gary

I did a search on resistor block and it seems to be a common problem and an
easy replacement. Thanks Maxpower!

Now when I replace the resistor block, I will get my other speeds back
except the second position which was my original problem. Where would I
begin looking to get that 2nd position back? Would the switch itself be
damaged?

Thx again
Gary

Old November 25th 04, 05:29 PM
Gary

Old November 25th 04, 07:35 PM
High Sierra

Gary wrote:
> I did a search on resistor block and it seems to be a common problem and an
> easy replacement. Thanks Maxpower!
>
> Now when I replace the resistor block, I will get my other speeds back
> except the second position which was my original problem. Where would I
> begin looking to get that 2nd position back? Would the switch itself be
> damaged?
>
> Thx again
> Gary
>
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>
>>Resistors control the speed of the AC/Heater fan. These resistors are
>>switched on and off in various combinations to create the different fan
>>speeds. When the resistors burn out your fan will only work on the "HI"
>>setting. The "HI" setting doesn't use any of the resistors and that's why
>>it works. These resistors are near the blower and the blower is beneath
>>the dashboard on the passenger side.
>>
>>Found the above, would this be a good place to start if so what do I ask
>>for at the dealer for a replacement unit?
>>
>>Thx
>>
>>"maxpower" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I dont think it has anything to do with it since it has a been a few yrs
>>>ago, more then likely the resistor block is bad, when it goes bad the fan
>>>motor defaults to the highest setting
>>>"Gary" > wrote in message

>>>highest

>>>am