Safety Recall - Bonnet Closure - 156

Old July 31st 06, 03:19 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
cupra

Default Safety Recall - Bonnet Closure - 156

John, UK. wrote:
> cupra wrote:
>> John, UK. wrote:

>>> Surely it will just need adjustment and a bit of greese, I had my
>>> 147 in for service and they said it was under a recall notice for
>>> the same. All they did was smear greese on it. They said it was due
>>> to running dry of lube during the winter plus salt off the roads.
>>> And if people didn't close them securely the could release.
>>> John,UK.

>> That reminds me - must de-grease and re-apply mine, the grease has
>> turned into a paste and it stops the catch from resetting when I
>> close the bonnet (have to manually reset it with a screwdriver!)

> If you have to get a scewdriver out of your toolbox to reset it, you
> may as well do the adjustment necessary to fix the problem.
> John,UK.

Problem is whenever I pop the bonnet it tends to be just before I'm setting
off (check oil/water etc...) and I always forget by the time I get back!

(and I'm away tonight so I'll forget by tomorrow!)

Old August 4th 06, 12:34 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Ian Reid

Hmmm. This actually happened to me, in a T reg156 in 2003. At 70mph on the
A90 in Scotland. I know the speed, because Tayside Police were one car
behind. You can still see through the windscreen when the bonnet is up
(there's a space), but the fact you have just **** yourself messes with your
attention. Made my way to the next layby: cops draw in - very kind, making
sure I'm ok. "Looks like I need a new bonnet, officer", I quip. Cop looks at
me and says "aye sir - you'll no have seen the roof then?" - you can imagine
the damage as the bonnet flips up and curls back into the roof.

I used to be a big Alfa fan - 2.5 V6 for me anytime etc, but that was the
last straw. All that "well that's the charm of owning an Alfa sir" from the
dealer as they fixed the electrical fault; replaced the fuel injection chip;
replaced the undertray (156); replaced god knows what in the suspension for
the hundredth time. I thought seriously of connecting my salary directly to
the dealer- cut out the middle man! Now, at considerably less cost, I drive
an MX5 for fun (yes, it has a lipstick holder) and a Subaru forester XT for
work and even more fun. At 0-60 in about 5.5 secs, the forester (which,
admittedly, looks like Aunt Jemima's crappy estate - that's the amusing
point) blows Alfas away - it's a laugh. You should see their faces.... and
my wallet.

Ian
" cupra" > wrote in message
> John, UK. wrote:
>> cupra wrote:

>>> That reminds me - must de-grease and re-apply mine, the grease has
>>> turned into a paste and it stops the catch from resetting when I
>>> close the bonnet (have to manually reset it with a screwdriver!)

>> If you have to get a scewdriver out of your toolbox to reset it, you
>> may as well do the adjustment necessary to fix the problem.
>> John,UK.

> Problem is whenever I pop the bonnet it tends to be just before I'm
> setting off (check oil/water etc...) and I always forget by the time I get
> back!
>
> (and I'm away tonight so I'll forget by tomorrow!)

GAO: Highway Safety: Further Opportunities Exist to Improve Data on Crashes Involving Commercial Motor Vehicles. Mike Driving 0 November 18th 05 08:03 PM
Buick coolant recall suren Technology 4 April 6th 05 03:55 PM
looking for information on vehicle safety inspections Peter D. Hipson 4x4 0 January 17th 05 03:44 PM
Vehicle Safety Recall Notification Doug Alfa Romeo 5 December 13th 04 11:02 PM
Access denied! (Bloody bonnet release) Hughes. Alfa Romeo 5 August 12th 04 09:37 PM