200,200 - Frog update

Old November 16th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

Default 200,200 - Frog update

TFrog has moved well past 200,000 miles, and I do mean moved well. Fixing
that leaky intake gasket makes TFrog run every bit as well as it did at
150,000. It's been rejuvenated. It also passed the emissions test with
FLYING colors, once the new Dynomax H-pipe was installed. Should be good for
at least another ten years. I don't notice any difference in power or
quickness, but it's nice to know that I can suck on the exhaust pipes
without getting a headache.

CFrog, of course, has just had the transmission overhaul with shift kit
installed. The one-two shift was, at first, very hard, and it was easy
enough to chirp the tires going into second. After about one week, that
seems to have smoothed out. Still shifts faster than it used to, but without
the jarring lurch forward. And I haven't heard that tire chirp since... Is
this normal with a shift kit? Or is this change a bad sign?

Oh... adding insult to injury, the back window on CFrog has now come
separated from the curtain along the bottom. I won't be driving that car in
inclement weather anytime soon. Looks like it's getting a new convertible
top well before the spring, as I'd planned...

dwight
www.tfrog93.com
TFrog 1993 LX 5.0 hatchback 5-speed
CFrog 1993 GT convertible automatic
Inspections & repairs in October: $3,500

Old November 16th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Gator

dwight wrote:
> TFrog has moved well past 200,000 miles, and I do mean moved well. Fixing
> that leaky intake gasket makes TFrog run every bit as well as it did at
> 150,000. It's been rejuvenated. It also passed the emissions test with
> FLYING colors, once the new Dynomax H-pipe was installed. Should be good for
> at least another ten years. I don't notice any difference in power or
> quickness, but it's nice to know that I can suck on the exhaust pipes
> without getting a headache.
>
> CFrog, of course, has just had the transmission overhaul with shift kit
> installed. The one-two shift was, at first, very hard, and it was easy
> enough to chirp the tires going into second. After about one week, that
> seems to have smoothed out. Still shifts faster than it used to, but without
> the jarring lurch forward. And I haven't heard that tire chirp since... Is
> this normal with a shift kit? Or is this change a bad sign?
>
> Oh... adding insult to injury, the back window on CFrog has now come
> separated from the curtain along the bottom. I won't be driving that car in
> inclement weather anytime soon. Looks like it's getting a new convertible
> top well before the spring, as I'd planned...
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog93.com
> TFrog 1993 LX 5.0 hatchback 5-speed
> CFrog 1993 GT convertible automatic
> Inspections & repairs in October: $3,500

I installed a B&M Shift Improver kit in my 89 back around 91, it did the
same thing except the hard shifts stopped suddenly after a really hard
shift making a left turn across traffic. I had stepped into it a
little, it shifted really hard, breaking the tires loose for a moment,
then it shifted smoother for the next 100k miles.

Arlie
Old November 16th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Richard[_1_]

> CFrog, of course, has just had the transmission overhaul with shift kit
> installed. The one-two shift was, at first, very hard, and it was easy
> enough to chirp the tires going into second. After about one week, that
> seems to have smoothed out. Still shifts faster than it used to, but

without
> the jarring lurch forward. And I haven't heard that tire chirp since... Is
> this normal with a shift kit? Or is this change a bad sign?

I suspect that you've learned to slighly ease off the throttle just as it
shifts. Make a point of holding the throttle at about 1/4 throttle and it
should still chirp on the 1 - 2 shift.

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
3:73 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Old November 16th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

dwight wrote:
> TFrog has moved well past 200,000 miles, and I do mean moved well. Fixing
> that leaky intake gasket makes TFrog run every bit as well as it did at
> 150,000. It's been rejuvenated. It also passed the emissions test with
> FLYING colors, once the new Dynomax H-pipe was installed. Should be good for
> at least another ten years. I don't notice any difference in power or
> quickness, but it's nice to know that I can suck on the exhaust pipes
> without getting a headache.
>
> CFrog, of course, has just had the transmission overhaul with shift kit
> installed. The one-two shift was, at first, very hard, and it was easy
> enough to chirp the tires going into second. After about one week, that
> seems to have smoothed out. Still shifts faster than it used to, but without
> the jarring lurch forward. And I haven't heard that tire chirp since... Is
> this normal with a shift kit? Or is this change a bad sign?
>
> Oh... adding insult to injury, the back window on CFrog has now come
> separated from the curtain along the bottom. I won't be driving that car in
> inclement weather anytime soon. Looks like it's getting a new convertible
> top well before the spring, as I'd planned...
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog93.com
> TFrog 1993 LX 5.0 hatchback 5-speed
> CFrog 1993 GT convertible automatic
> Inspections & repairs in October: $3,500

Well I'm glad to hear the Frog's ails have been repaired.

--

"wow you guys are still in business ?

I still have all of your ip ranges in my "firewalled
until second coming of christ" list. The antics and
lies of your esteemed CEO saw to that." - Some *******
Old November 17th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Blue Gator" > wrote in message
. ..
> dwight wrote:
>> TFrog has moved well past 200,000 miles, and I do mean moved well. Fixing
>> that leaky intake gasket makes TFrog run every bit as well as it did at
>> 150,000. It's been rejuvenated. It also passed the emissions test with
>> FLYING colors, once the new Dynomax H-pipe was installed. Should be good
>> for at least another ten years. I don't notice any difference in power or
>> quickness, but it's nice to know that I can suck on the exhaust pipes
>> without getting a headache.
>>
>> CFrog, of course, has just had the transmission overhaul with shift kit
>> installed. The one-two shift was, at first, very hard, and it was easy
>> enough to chirp the tires going into second. After about one week, that
>> seems to have smoothed out. Still shifts faster than it used to, but
>> without the jarring lurch forward. And I haven't heard that tire chirp
>> since... Is this normal with a shift kit? Or is this change a bad sign?
>>
>> Oh... adding insult to injury, the back window on CFrog has now come
>> separated from the curtain along the bottom. I won't be driving that car
>> in inclement weather anytime soon. Looks like it's getting a new
>> convertible top well before the spring, as I'd planned...
>>
>> dwight
>> www.tfrog93.com
>> TFrog 1993 LX 5.0 hatchback 5-speed
>> CFrog 1993 GT convertible automatic
>> Inspections & repairs in October: $3,500
>>

> I installed a B&M Shift Improver kit in my 89 back around 91, it did the
> same thing except the hard shifts stopped suddenly after a really hard
> shift making a left turn across traffic. I had stepped into it a little,
> it shifted really hard, breaking the tires loose for a moment, then it
> shifted smoother for the next 100k miles.
>
> Arlie

Yeah, I was hoping this was "normal" for a shift kit. I was having fun,
launching at WOT to get that satisfying shift, then it stopped doing it...
Oh, well.

dwight

Old November 17th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Richard" > wrote in message

>> CFrog, of course, has just had the transmission overhaul with shift kit
>> installed. The one-two shift was, at first, very hard, and it was easy
>> enough to chirp the tires going into second. After about one week, that
>> seems to have smoothed out. Still shifts faster than it used to, but

> without
>> the jarring lurch forward. And I haven't heard that tire chirp since...
>> Is
>> this normal with a shift kit? Or is this change a bad sign?

> I suspect that you've learned to slighly ease off the throttle just as it
> shifts. Make a point of holding the throttle at about 1/4 throttle and it
> should still chirp on the 1 - 2 shift.
>
> --
> Richard

I'll let y'all know if I can replicate it. But, believe me, while I WAS
practicing controlling that shift point, I was talking about holding the go
pedal to the floor here. I lost my chirp.

dwight

Old November 17th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"WindsorFox" > wrote in message
> dwight wrote:
>> TFrog has moved well past 200,000 miles, and I do mean moved well. Fixing
>> that leaky intake gasket makes TFrog run every bit as well as it did at
>> 150,000. It's been rejuvenated. It also passed the emissions test with
>> FLYING colors, once the new Dynomax H-pipe was installed. Should be good
>> for at least another ten years. I don't notice any difference in power or
>> quickness, but it's nice to know that I can suck on the exhaust pipes
>> without getting a headache.
>>
>> CFrog, of course, has just had the transmission overhaul with shift kit
>> installed. The one-two shift was, at first, very hard, and it was easy
>> enough to chirp the tires going into second. After about one week, that
>> seems to have smoothed out. Still shifts faster than it used to, but
>> without the jarring lurch forward. And I haven't heard that tire chirp
>> since... Is this normal with a shift kit? Or is this change a bad sign?
>>
>> Oh... adding insult to injury, the back window on CFrog has now come
>> separated from the curtain along the bottom. I won't be driving that car
>> in inclement weather anytime soon. Looks like it's getting a new
>> convertible top well before the spring, as I'd planned...
>>
>> dwight
>> www.tfrog93.com
>> TFrog 1993 LX 5.0 hatchback 5-speed
>> CFrog 1993 GT convertible automatic
>> Inspections & repairs in October: $3,500
>>

> Well I'm glad to hear the Frog's ails have been repaired.

Hah! Not all of 'em. There's always something else on a 13-year-old daily
driver.

I need to have the defroster motor replaced (and this is getting more
urgent, as the weather gets colder), and I'm getting a noise up front that
sounds like another water pump is getting ready to go. Of course, that could
just be the serpentine belt (fingers crossed), but I think not.

dwight

Old November 17th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

dwight wrote:

Hey, Froggy, do you keep good maintenece records? If so, any chance
you post wear out points/mileage numbers for components like
alternator, water & fuel pumps, brake parts, sensors, etc.

Patrick
'93 Mustang

Old November 17th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> dwight wrote:
>
> Hey, Froggy, do you keep good maintenece records? If so, any chance
> you post wear out points/mileage numbers for components like
> alternator, water & fuel pumps, brake parts, sensors, etc.
>
> Patrick
> '93 Mustang

Are you kidding? Hell, man, we MOVED last year. Somewhere, there's a
cardboard box with a BULGING file folder of bills from the previous years. I
tried to keep every receipt from TFrog...

Might make an interesting project for some cold, winter day when I dare not
venture outside.

)

Old November 17th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Richard[_1_]

> >> CFrog, of course, has just had the transmission overhaul with shift kit
> >> installed. The one-two shift was, at first, very hard, and it was easy
> >> enough to chirp the tires going into second. After about one week, that
> >> seems to have smoothed out. Still shifts faster than it used to, but
> >> without the jarring lurch forward. And I haven't heard that tire chirp
> >> since... Is this normal with a shift kit? Or is this change a bad sign?

> > I installed a B&M Shift Improver kit in my 89 back around 91, it did the
> > same thing except the hard shifts stopped suddenly after a really hard
> > shift making a left turn across traffic. I had stepped into it a

little,
> > it shifted really hard, breaking the tires loose for a moment, then it
> > shifted smoother for the next 100k miles.
> >
> > Arlie

> Yeah, I was hoping this was "normal" for a shift kit. I was having fun,
> launching at WOT to get that satisfying shift, then it stopped doing it...
> Oh, well.

Well if that's normal my shift kit isn't. If I don't let up on the go pedal
the tires will chirp on the 1-2 shift. I've had the shift kit installed for
4 years and it's never changed. I went back to a 3:73 diff from the 4:10's
with the difference being that I don't light up the tires like I used to do.
What shift kit did you have installed? Mine was a Transgo HD2 Reprogramming
kit.