156 start problems ?!

Old December 6th 04, 06:45 PM
Catman

Canonian wrote:

> Well gents, the only possible thing that might had happened (but I am not
> totaly sure about that), is that prior to the described malfunctioning, I
> started the car to drive it 8 meters further (in front of my garagbox into
> my garagebox), and stopped it. So, a short (~6s) run of the engine was
> executed prior to the described mal functioning, a few hours later. The
> sparkplugs, btw, are brand new (changed 10 months ago, regular service
> issue at 100.000km).

dingdingdingdingding

You interuppted the cold start cycle. The engine system will not like that
(neither will your catalytic converter)

If the problem has not ocurred before, and not since, then this is probably
the only issue you have. Just don't do it again

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old December 6th 04, 07:27 PM
Ivan

"Catman" > wrote in message
> dingdingdingdingding
>
> You interuppted the cold start cycle. The engine system will not like
> that
> (neither will your catalytic converter)

That sounds like exactly the problem... Both my ex 156 V6 and the 33 16v
both exhibited this problem... oddly the 16v TS's never did?...... Strange
how the problem only occured with "pure" Alfa engines, not their Fiat
modified ones??.... Not a problem with a Diesel though...but that's Fiat too
:-))

--
Ivan.

Alfa GT
Ex 156 2.5 V6 Veloce
Ex 156 Selespeed (RIP 22 May 03)
Ex 145 QV
Ex 33 16v QV
Ex 33 QV series 1

Old December 6th 04, 09:42 PM
John Chapman

"Canonian" > wrote in message
> Well gents, the only possible thing that might have happened (but I am not
> sure about that), is that prior to the described malfunctioning, I
> started the car to drive it 8 meters further (in front of my garage box

into
> my garage box), and stopped it. So, a short (~6s) run of the engine was
> executed prior to the described mal functioning, a few hours later.

Last year I serviced my wife's Saxo and to check that everything was OK with
the plugs that I had replaced as part of the service before she used it the
next morning I started and stopped the engine twice just for a few seconds.
All went well. Car spent the night in the garage but would not start the
next morning. I assumed some electrical fault so summoned Green Flag who
also could not start it. Car was taken to local Citroen garage where the
service manager immediately knew what to do. He floored the accelerator and
in a welter of blue smoke the car then started.
He explained that what I had done was to flood the engine in the short tests
of the engine and that in modern cars the connections are so airtight that
there is no chance of the system drying out overnight so once flooded it
stayed flooded.
Now I never start the engine for anything less than a minute and have not
encountered the problem again. Have since spoken to various AA and RAC men
who confirm this is a regular fault on modern engines especially on BMWs.

Hope this helps
John Chapman

Old December 6th 04, 11:39 PM
Antti

"Catman" > wrote in message
> Canonian wrote:
>
>> Well gents, the only possible thing that might had happened (but I am not
>> totaly sure about that), is that prior to the described malfunctioning, I
>> started the car to drive it 8 meters further (in front of my garagbox
>> into
>> my garagebox), and stopped it. So, a short (~6s) run of the engine was
>> executed prior to the described mal functioning, a few hours later. The
>> sparkplugs, btw, are brand new (changed 10 months ago, regular service
>> issue at 100.000km).

> dingdingdingdingding
>
> You interuppted the cold start cycle. The engine system will not like
> that
> (neither will your catalytic converter)
>
> If the problem has not ocurred before, and not since, then this is
> probably
> the only issue you have. Just don't do it again

I have had this same thing once and solution was just full throttle and long
start. Car was
moved very short distance earlier. So if you start your car let the engine
run for a while before turning it
off.

Antti
156V6

Old December 7th 04, 08:03 AM
Ian Riches

Canonian ) wrote...

<starting problem due to car being moved short distance snipped>

> ??? Is starting the engine with full throttle still the best way to overcome
> this problem,
>
> or does a start with no throttle resolve the problem as well ???

This has happenned to my wife's Nissan Micra. The recovery driver
took out the fuel pump fuse, span the engine over for a while,
replaced the fuse and all was well.

Ian
--
Ian Riches
Bedford, UK
Old December 8th 04, 08:57 AM
Canonian

Ok, all clear, all thanks voor reply.

B.

"Ian Riches" > schreef in bericht
t...

'83 Spider won't start wf Alfa Romeo 4 November 15th 04 06:28 PM
Alfa GT - Alfatex quality control problems? Grahame Alfa Romeo 6 August 13th 04 08:28 PM
156 2.0TS hot start problem edster Alfa Romeo 3 August 8th 04 12:26 PM
156 problems filling up the petrol? fmt Alfa Romeo 28 July 16th 04 07:48 AM
Nord ignition problems Gordon Alfa Romeo 18 June 18th 04 02:16 PM