"Skip Shift" elimination in 1993

Old January 24th 06, 02:39 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default "Skip Shift" elimination in 1993

I want to eliminate the 1st to 4th "Skip Shift" in my 1993 six speed. Does
anyone have experiance with this? Will it scew up anything else? Thanks

Old January 24th 06, 03:29 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Mike Cenni wrote:
> I want to eliminate the 1st to 4th "Skip Shift" in my 1993 six speed. Does
> anyone have experiance with this? Will it scew up anything else? Thanks

I have a '92 6-speed. It is trivial to do. Jack up the left side of
the car and unplug the skip-shift connector from the transmission.
The "1-4" light will still come on, but it won't affect the driveability
or anything else.

Old January 24th 06, 03:30 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

<< http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1753 >>

--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe
Old January 24th 06, 04:22 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Mike Cenni" > wrote in message
>I want to eliminate the 1st to 4th "Skip Shift" in my 1993 six speed.
>Does anyone have experiance with this? Will it scew up anything
>else? Thanks

Yes, easy change, all you need is a 2.2k-Ohm 1/2 watt 5% resistor,
Radio Shack number 271-1171, .99 cents for 5, and plug it into the
lead to your transmission, done.

Many sites on the net have picture instructions on how to install it.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old January 24th 06, 12:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Dad wrote:
> "Mike Cenni" wrote in message
>>I want to eliminate the 1st to 4th "Skip Shift" in my 1993 six speed.
>>Does anyone have experiance with this? Will it scew up anything
>>else? Thanks

> Yes, easy change, all you need is a 2.2k-Ohm 1/2 watt 5% resistor,
> Radio Shack number 271-1171, .99 cents for 5, and plug it into the
> lead to your transmission, done.

The '93 is OBD-2. He can disconnect the skip-shift without worrying
about any codes being set. It's around '95 and later that GM switched
to OBD-3 and you need the resistor.

Old January 24th 06, 03:41 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Kevin J. Phillips" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:
>> "Mike Cenni" wrote in message
>>>I want to eliminate the 1st to 4th "Skip Shift" in my 1993 six
>>>speed.
>>>Does anyone have experiance with this? Will it scew up anything
>>>else? Thanks

>> Yes, easy change, all you need is a 2.2k-Ohm 1/2 watt 5% resistor,
>> Radio Shack number 271-1171, .99 cents for 5, and plug it into the
>> lead to your transmission, done.

> The '93 is OBD-2. He can disconnect the skip-shift without worrying
> about any codes being set. It's around '95 and later that GM
> switched
> to OBD-3 and you need the resistor.

Now you're one up on me, I was under the impression there is an OBDI
and then OBDII, 1/1/1996, but the OBDIII is still in the development
stages. Some vehicles were changed over to OBDII as early as 1994,
Corvette was one of them. Ether way you need to at the very least seal
the wire contacts to prevent a corroded mess that can't be re-attached
if needed. My uninformed guess would be that the 1993 is an OBDI
system but would react as you suggest as I've never done one and would
have given the computer the resistance needed to fool it all the time.

Back in 1997 I saw allot of lip flapping about OBDIII but most were
still talking about when it would happen even in 2005. Even
http://obdiii.net/ , home of OBDI and OBDI is still under
construction. Kalifornicate is the state that is pushing for it so
they can read your vin number and your misfire codes while in traffic
and send you a citation.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old January 24th 06, 04:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:32:27 GMT, "Kevin J. Phillips" >
wrote:

>Dad wrote:
>> "Mike Cenni" wrote in message
>>>I want to eliminate the 1st to 4th "Skip Shift" in my 1993 six speed.
>>>Does anyone have experiance with this? Will it scew up anything
>>>else? Thanks

>> Yes, easy change, all you need is a 2.2k-Ohm 1/2 watt 5% resistor,
>> Radio Shack number 271-1171, .99 cents for 5, and plug it into the
>> lead to your transmission, done.

>The '93 is OBD-2. He can disconnect the skip-shift without worrying
>about any codes being set. It's around '95 and later that GM switched
>to OBD-3 and you need the resistor.

I have NO clue as to what my 95 has...OBD 1 2 or 3 who knows...
BUT I do know I unhooked my 1st to 4th shift "plug" about 2 days
after I purchased the car 10 years ago.... NO Light, NO fuss..and NO
problems with the Emission Police...

Bob G.
Old January 24th 06, 04:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Just unplug the connector at the side of the tranny.....
There are two there, if you get the wrong one the reverse lights won't work.
Just Pull one and check reverse lights. :-)
No need for a resistor. Just unplug and put some tape over the end for dirt.

Dad wrote:

>"Mike Cenni" > wrote in message
>

>>I want to eliminate the 1st to 4th "Skip Shift" in my 1993 six speed.
>>Does anyone have experiance with this? Will it scew up anything
>>else? Thanks
>>

>Yes, easy change, all you need is a 2.2k-Ohm 1/2 watt 5% resistor,
>Radio Shack number 271-1171, .99 cents for 5, and plug it into the
>lead to your transmission, done.
>
>Many sites on the net have picture instructions on how to install it.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old January 24th 06, 04:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Naaa I just yanked mine, been fine for 12 years. :-)

And it's a much more solid car than say...... a C5.

Old January 24th 06, 05:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Dad > wrote:
> Now you're one up on me, I was under the impression there is an OBDI
> and then OBDII, 1/1/1996, but the OBDIII is still in the development
> stages. Some vehicles were changed over to OBDII as early as 1994,
> Corvette was one of them. Ether way you need to at the very least seal
> the wire contacts to prevent a corroded mess that can't be re-attached
> if needed. My uninformed guess would be that the 1993 is an OBDI
> system but would react as you suggest as I've never done one and would
> have given the computer the resistance needed to fool it all the time.

Acckk. You're right, I got a bit confused there on the OBD numbers...

Rear Wheel Bearings - 1993 T&C Van [email protected] Chrysler 4 December 20th 05 06:30 AM
Does transmission from a 1990 explorer fit a 1993 explorer? djokman Ford Explorer 1 June 11th 05 05:52 AM
FS: Working 1993 Ford Explorer Limited HAMILTON, ONTARIO [email protected] Ford Explorer 0 March 8th 05 04:11 AM
1993 Dodge Colt DB Dodge 2 October 13th 04 10:19 AM
Ebay auction 1993 626 Mazda Factory Service Manual Dale Alexander General 0 March 14th 04 05:11 AM