Slow Down! Your Family is Waiting for You!!

Old January 17th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Slow Down! Your Family is Waiting for You!!

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> <snip>
>
> ****ing idiots...

That sort of stupidity is demonstrated by the authorities here in
Australia too.

<http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/downloads/tvc/heavenandhell45sec.mpg>
4MB

The ad shows a young driver driving his car on a country road having a
bit of fun. Suddenly he catches up to a truck around a bend, takes
evasive action, and collects a car coming the other way.

The ad would've had my full support if it had one of the following
messages at the end:

a: Don't drive with your eyes shut.
b: Don't travel at a speed that won't allow you to stop in the distance
you can see. ie: slow down going over the crests of hills, around
corners, etc.

SL.
Old January 17th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:21:02 +1100, Sir Lex > wrote:

>Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> ****ing idiots...
>>

>That sort of stupidity is demonstrated by the authorities here in
>Australia too.
>
><http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/downloads/tvc/heavenandhell45sec.mpg>
>4MB
>
>The ad shows a young driver driving his car on a country road having a
>bit of fun. Suddenly he catches up to a truck around a bend, takes
>evasive action, and collects a car coming the other way.
>
>The ad would've had my full support if it had one of the following
>messages at the end:
>
>a: Don't drive with your eyes shut.
>b: Don't travel at a speed that won't allow you to stop in the distance
>you can see. ie: slow down going over the crests of hills, around
>corners, etc.
>
>SL.

How about ----

Don't drive if you are too short to see out the windshield !!!

or

Dont let your pet dog drive your car
Old January 17th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
Note (of irony): The author of this message requested that it not be
archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Jan 24,
10:08 am).
> Ironically, this video is a PERFECT example of how Sloth Kills.

-----
Of course the truck is at fault, what reasonable person couldn't see
that?
-----

- gpsman

Old January 18th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:21:02 +1100, Sir Lex > wrote:
>

>>That sort of stupidity is demonstrated by the authorities here in
>>Australia too.
>>
>><http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/downloads/tvc/heavenandhell45sec.mpg>
>>4MB

> That's an exceptionally well-produced commercial. It starts out
> looking EXACTLY like a car commercial: young male driving fast down an
> empty road, shifting like Nicholas Cage in "Gone in 60 Seconds." It
> sucks you right in. Kunos to the producers.

The New South Wales RTA said that was the effect they were trying to
achieve. Many people who saw it for the first time thought it was an
advertisement for a new sports ute at first.

> That said, it's yet another sanctimonius, trumped-up scenario. On a
> wide-open, empty road with few trees, how did this guy manage to miss
> the truck up ahead on the horizon? Why was he overdriving his line of
> sight?

Exactly. The ad would had far more merit if it had shown a truck
pulling out of a side road over the crest of a hill, or around a blind
bend, as is entirely possible in the country, and the driver who was out
driving his line of sight taking evasive action and having an accident.

Most people who see the ad wonder what on earth the driver of the car
was doing to not realise there was a truck ahead, rather than getting
the important message that country roads are often not as predictable as
city roads, and that drivers need to be careful.

> Ironically, this video is a PERFECT example of how Sloth Kills. Not
> only did the guy get into that crash while swerving around a Sloth
> Trucker, but the Trucker is clearly shown simply driving away from the
> scene of the accident - as if he wasn't even involved. By the time the
> cops arrive, the Trucker will be nowhere to be found, and the
> collision will be recorded as just another "speed-related" crash.

I also wondered why the trucker didn't stop.

Here are the sequels to the ad:

<http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/downloads/tvc/social15sec.mpg>
1.5MB, showing the social consequences of having an accident via an
emergency worker giving the driver a nasty look.

<http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/downloads/tvc/criminal15sec.mpg>
1.5MB, police officer telling the driver the charges he may face. The
truck is nowhere to be seen.