Rear suspension problem

Old November 4th 05, 10:26 AM
Robin

Default Rear suspension problem

With reference to my other post about scrapping the car, here is the
problem with my rear suspension:

When driving over any bumps, the car rattles. I can describe the noise
as follows (bear with me). My father used to have a Bedford Rascal van
which he delivered wine in. To protect the floor, he put a loose sheet
of plywood on the bottom, which would clatter when you went over bumps.
My car sounds exactly the same, although I don't have a large sheet of
plywood in the back.

I've also lost confidence in the car's handling.

Old November 4th 05, 12:58 PM
John Burns

> When driving over any bumps, the car rattles. I can describe the noise
> as follows (bear with me). My father used to have a Bedford Rascal van
> which he delivered wine in. To protect the floor, he put a loose sheet
> of plywood on the bottom, which would clatter when you went over bumps.
> My car sounds exactly the same, although I don't have a large sheet of
> plywood in the back.
>
> I've also lost confidence in the car's handling.

Sounds very like subframe or trailing arm bushings.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old November 5th 05, 01:28 AM
AL

My 6er does the same think, I have pointed out the sub frame bushings.

AlF

Old November 21st 05, 07:39 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Sure it's not a loose spare wheel? If it's a 5 series the dog-bone links to
the rear axle are often over-looked.

Steve

oups.com...

Old November 21st 05, 11:23 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I dont know what model yours is....but BMW's are famous for ripping the
subframe mounts from the car. I have removed many a rear seat to reveal
broken welds and bracing where the subframe pins seat.

Old November 22nd 05, 10:38 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Mine is a 1993 E34 520i. I don't think the spare tyre would cause the
same handling problems. I'll have a look under the seat later today.

Old November 22nd 05, 12:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Robin wrote:
> Mine is a 1993 E34 520i. I don't think the spare tyre would cause the
> same handling problems. I'll have a look under the seat later today.

Ripped subframe mounts is a three series phenomenon. And it is *not* a
common one on cars that do not have 1) stiffened suspension and b) been
thrshed on the track / autocross circuits.

--
-Fred W

63 rear suspension question lib Corvette 1 October 3rd 05 03:08 AM
325is REAR SUSPENSION Mark K BMW 7 September 7th 05 11:51 PM
86 VW Rear bushings replacement problem? reepthediesel VW water cooled 0 June 15th 05 04:16 AM
Rear drain problem(?!) USAROVER Mazda 0 January 7th 05 02:16 PM
92 Grand Voyager suspension problem [email protected] Chrysler 4 December 19th 04 02:11 PM