Conventional oil hard to find?

Old March 24th 21, 04:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
mike[_36_]

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

On 24-03-2021 06:18 > wrote:

>>Do those other stores match Costco sale prices?

> Rural King kicks their ass.

I don't know of "Rural King" but google does.
https://www.ruralkingsupply.com/prod...at3=102&page=2

Rural King seems like a fantastic place for variety.

They even have 55 gallon containers of the stuff!
https://www.ruralkingsupply.com/item.php?id=10885

I don't see prices though so it's hard to compare with Costco's $2.50/qt.

BTW, notice this guy (who clearly knows motor oil) shakes the container!
https://youtu.be/l9il_piyuT8?t=546
Old March 24th 21, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

mike wrote:
> On 23-03-2021 21:24 Paul in Houston TX > wrote:
>
>> I don't go to Costco.

> Where do you get full synthetic oil at API SP quality for ~$2.50/quart?

I get mine at Walmart for ~$3.10 per qt.
Nearest Walmart is 0.5 miles and Costco 4 miles away.
I'm not really concerned about saving $3.00 once a year. Plus I make a
list and get other things while at Walmart that they don't have at
Costco. I get the oil filters at an auto parts. There are 5 auto parts
within 1 mile.

Old March 24th 21, 11:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
mike[_36_]

On 24-03-2021 02:03 Paul in Houston TX > wrote:

>> Where do you get full synthetic oil at API SP quality for ~$2.50/quart?

> I get mine at Walmart for ~$3.10 per qt.

Thanks for answering that as I also tried Walmart but found, like you did,
that the prices are higher than at Costco (even before Costco sales).

> I get the oil filters at an auto parts.

Nice thing about Auto Parts Stores is they have a choice of brands.
Wix (aka Napa Gold) seems to fare well when people cut them open.

At Walmart the Fram always fares poorly (cardboard tops & bottoms).

The Mobil 1, K&N and even the low cost SuperTech store brand come out
differentially depending greatly on the point of view of the reviewer.

At parts stores the Bosch (aka Purolater, Boss) come out ok with the AC
Delco being not much lower in build quality (lots of these are made by the
same outfits as can be seen by the exact construction in the tear downs).

As with oil, with frequent oil changes the filter paper itself matters less.
Even so I try to find 20 micron (not 30 micron) 99% efficiency filters.
It's harder to find coil overpressure springs than plastic (or none at all).
Usually orange anti-drainback valves are silicone (versus nitrile black).

What do you look for?
Old March 24th 21, 01:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
mike[_36_]

On 24-03-2021 07:40 trader_4 > wrote:

> $2 a qt? I buy Mobil one there and it's nowhere near that cheap, even when
> on sale. As I recall it's more like $25 for six, $4+ a qt.

The normal price of the Kirkland 5W30 API SP synthetic is $2.50/quart
($25/10 quarts) although this lookup just now shows it at $30/10 quarts.
https://www.costco.com/motor-oil.html

The Mobil 1 is $42/10 quarts which is appreciably more for essentially the
same spec (Kirkland is blended in Omaha Nebraska by Warren Distribution).
Old March 24th 21, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
rbowman

On 03/24/2021 05:14 AM, mike wrote:
> Nice thing about Auto Parts Stores is they have a choice of brands.
> Wix (aka Napa Gold) seems to fare well when people cut them open.

I use either one. It's hard to explain without a picture but the Wix
base plate is punched and threaded from the outside, while some are from
the inside. The former are easier to get started. With the Toyota I'm
reaching down from the top and screwing the filter on blind.

Old March 24th 21, 02:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Lurndal

mike > writes:
>On 24-03-2021 07:40 trader_4 > wrote:
>
>> $2 a qt? I buy Mobil one there and it's nowhere near that cheap, even when
>> on sale. As I recall it's more like $25 for six, $4+ a qt.

>The normal price of the Kirkland 5W30 API SP synthetic is $2.50/quart
>($25/10 quarts) although this lookup just now shows it at $30/10 quarts.
>https://www.costco.com/motor-oil.html

Note that costco on-line prices are often much higher
than in-store prices.

Old March 24th 21, 08:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tekkieİ

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 09:41:47 +0530, mike posted for all of us to digest...

> On 24-03-2021 06:18 > wrote:
>
> >>Do those other stores match Costco sale prices?

> > Rural King kicks their ass.

> I don't know of "Rural King" but google does.
> https://www.ruralkingsupply.com/prod...at3=102&page=2
>
> Rural King seems like a fantastic place for variety.
>
> They even have 55 gallon containers of the stuff!
> https://www.ruralkingsupply.com/item.php?id=10885
>
> I don't see prices though so it's hard to compare with Costco's $2.50/qt.
>
> BTW, notice this guy (who clearly knows motor oil) shakes the container!
> https://youtu.be/l9il_piyuT8?t=546

Hey Arlen, have you tried Dollar General? They have cheap dino juice.

--
Tekkie
Old March 24th 21, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Tekkieİ

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 07:43:27 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

> On 03/24/2021 05:14 AM, mike wrote:
> > Nice thing about Auto Parts Stores is they have a choice of brands.
> > Wix (aka Napa Gold) seems to fare well when people cut them open.

> I use either one. It's hard to explain without a picture but the Wix
> base plate is punched and threaded from the outside, while some are from
> the inside. The former are easier to get started. With the Toyota I'm
> reaching down from the top and screwing the filter on blind.

I bought my Toy filters from the dealer by the case for a great price and
included the crush washer in them.

--
Tekkie
Old March 24th 21, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Tekkieİ

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 09:30:13 +0530, mike posted for all of us to digest...

> On 22-03-2021 17:32 Bubba Smollett > wrote:
>
> > If it meets the required API spec, it's good enough for me.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B07C5FF8RG

> According to this video all three of these oils are the same
> (and all three are definitely made by the same manufacturer)
> https://youtu.be/l9il_piyuT8?t=668
>
> Amazon Basics
> Supertech
> Kirkland fully synthetic
>
> They're all the same oil made by Warren Distribution in Omaha Nebraska.
>
> Not only does it meet the API SP specification but it also meets
> Dexos 1 Generation 2 approval (which I'm not yet sure what that is).

Thank you Arlen, why don't you inform us what this spec details?

--
Tekkie
Old March 25th 21, 05:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
mike[_36_]

On 25-03-2021 13:08 > wrote:

> Once it gets in the bottle it is the same as far as API is concerned.

I agree with you that oil is a commodity which people obsess about.
Mostly because advertisers want to give people something to obsess about.

Every brand is different but those differences won't matter much to us.

What matters mostly is how often we change it (IMHO).
Which itself matters mostly based on our weather & driving patterns (IMHO).

And even that is subject to a lot of personal opinion (IMHO).
Everyone makes their own assessment of what to use & when to change (IMHO).

(My personal opinion is twice a year for dino & once a year for synth).
(My personal opinion is a filter change roughly about once a year.)

For me the motor oil buying choice is simple.
1. Price (about $1.50/qt for good dino juice, about twice that for synth)
2. Quality (any API that meets or exceeds the spec in the owners manual)
3. Viscosity (any SAE range that meets the spec in the owners manual)

In practice you'd have to go out of your way to find an oil that doesn't
meet the spec in the owners manual so it eventually boils down to price.

Price changes over time but currently it's $2.50/qt for Costco fully
synthetic (API SP, SAE 5W30, Dexos 1 gen 2) in sets of two five quart jugs.

It's harder to find a spec for oil filters but like oil it matters less when
you change often (defined by me as being about yearly which is ~12K miles).

I've seen many oil filter teardowns so I avoid Fram and STP oil filters and
I know that only a few manufacturers likely make most oil filters anyways
and I do know that the Napa Gold (also Wix) are usually the best in those
teardowns and that the Purloators at Toyota turn out to be reasonably good
too (as do the AC Delcos).

The Walmart K&N, SuperTech, Mobil 1 and Fram often come out differentially
as do the Bosch at times.

Mostly I look for 30um at 99% or even 20 micron if I can find it but not all
boxes say and there's no spec that I know of for oil filters like there is
for oil that help compare them (they're all good enough for my cars except
maybe Fram).

If you know of a spec that's printed on all oil filter boxes for comparison
sake like there is for oil that would be helpful for sure.