Audi TT = 4wheeler.. question...

Old May 25th 06, 03:52 PM posted to alt.auto.audi,alt.autos.audi

Default Audi TT = 4wheeler.. question...

I'm thinking of buying a used quatro TT on ebay to turn into an offroader.
don't ask why..

Anyone have any drawings of the suspension and drive train? I already
searched google images for all things audi, vw, audi tt, beetle, etc. Found
some cutaway drawings, but those aren't always real clear.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-ab...y-1024x768.jpg

http://www.khulsey.com/audi.html

I'd like to drop the suspension mountpoints for the wishbone an inch or
two - possible? and add an additional couple inches to the springs.
Finally, planetary drives on the wheels to reduce the stress on the drive
shafts back to normal.

Sorry if I've offended anyone with the image of tearing apart such a
beautiful baby.

THanks,

Old May 25th 06, 06:25 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

J,
Wow, how much Nomex are you wearing????
If you've ever seen a TT up really close, like under the hood/in the
suspension, you must realize that you're talking about trying to fit an
elephant through a keyhole. Things are really crammed in there, and add all
the electronics, and suspension gear that was made for going fairly fast _on
road_...which is quite different than even crawling off-road, you might be
making something of a big, jacked up paperweight. Sure, you could jack it
up to the height of Gravedigger if you've got Dennis Anderson's bank
account, if money's no object, but the TT is no basis for an off-road
vehicle of any kind - it's made from all sorts of stuff to lighten it's
weight (even though it's pretty heavy). I'm not going to try to dissuade
you from doing the project simply because it's an Audi...heck:
http://forums.audiworld.com/v8/msgs/82281.phtml
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ - lowered, not jacked up.
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old May 26th 06, 12:26 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Steve Sears" > wrote in message
.. .
> J,
> Wow, how much Nomex are you wearing????
> If you've ever seen a TT up really close, like under the hood/in the
> suspension, you must realize that you're talking about trying to fit an
> elephant through a keyhole. Things are really crammed in there, and add
> all the electronics, and suspension gear that was made for going fairly
> fast _on road_...which is quite different than even crawling off-road, you
> might be making something of a big, jacked up paperweight. Sure, you
> could jack it up to the height of Gravedigger if you've got Dennis
> Anderson's bank account, if money's no object, but the TT is no basis for
> an off-road vehicle of any kind - it's made from all sorts of stuff to
> lighten it's weight (even though it's pretty heavy). I'm not going to try
> to dissuade you from doing the project simply because it's an Audi...heck:
> http://forums.audiworld.com/v8/msgs/82281.phtml
> Cheers!
> Steve Sears
> 1987 Audi 5kTQ - lowered, not jacked up.
> 1980 Audi 5k
> 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
> (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

I have in the back of my mind the knowledge that this is thoroughly goofy.
No, I haven't seen the insides up-close - that's why I wanted the
drawings... In order to really get an idea, I'd have to get a junked one and
take it apart...

My thought was that the independent drive shafts and some beefed up
wishbones would prevent the big ugly platform look like the one in the link
you sent. Like the Humvee, it would be a T-Vee. I can see that steering
would be a problem... but since you point it out, I can also see the
leverage of a large tire yanking the frame in half... Sounds like I'd have
to start from scratch. Really, the looks and the drivetrain are interesting
for the project - the rest is just in the way. I'd have to cut the
wheelwells wider anyways.

Thanks
-JB

Old May 27th 06, 05:03 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

In article >,
"J" <nospamplease> wrote:

> I'd like to drop the suspension mountpoints for the wishbone an inch or
> two - possible? and add an additional couple inches to the springs.
> Finally, planetary drives on the wheels to reduce the stress on the drive
> shafts back to normal.

Looks like a lot of work to me...

> Sorry if I've offended anyone with the image of tearing apart such a
> beautiful baby.

Hey no problem. It might be easier to just put the body on top of a
toyota truck frame.

--
Bob R. Kenyon
Beautiful Downtown San Jose, CA

OEM Audi parts catalogs for sale Joe Audi 1 February 27th 06 03:17 PM
Oil change on 1996 Audi A6 - V6 2.6 litre engine (UK) Mark Audi 20 December 18th 05 03:28 PM
For Sale: 2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport Premium, very low kms, warranty, private sale in TORONTO George Mihaescu Audi 1 September 17th 05 07:14 PM
Audi Pictures R. de Jong Audi 0 September 14th 05 09:04 AM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM