how does the map get into the radio?

Old July 11th 18, 07:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default how does the map get into the radio?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
> wrote:

>In article >, NONONOmisc07
says...

>> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
>>
>> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
>> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.
>>

>Get the radio without it.
>
>I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
>have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
>transfer them with a USB drive to the car.
>
>As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
>free.

Paper maps are FREE at any DMV. Thats all I need!!!!

Old July 11th 18, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

On 7/11/2018 12:32 PM, Frank wrote:

> Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200
> to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4.Â* Garmin maps may be updated as
> much as four times a year.Â* It is not just road changes but new business
> openings and business addresses changing.

Its a real money make for them. Most cars are $100 to $200. My car has
3 years included or I'd not bother.
Old July 12th 18, 12:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Frank

On 7/11/2018 5:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/11/2018 12:32 PM, Frank wrote:
>

>> Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200
>> to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4.Â* Garmin maps may be updated
>> as much as four times a year.Â* It is not just road changes but new
>> business openings and business addresses changing.

> Its a real money make for them.Â* Most cars are $100 to $200.Â* My car has
> 3 years included or I'd not bother.

I had recalled ads in car magazine for dealers that dealers could make a
large profit off accessories.

Googled it up and found this recent article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenr.../#21a63e5e1e6f

Also recall years ago when I bought Chevy's where my brother was the
service manager. Warranties did not last long, if there was one, and my
car developed a cracked block and needed a new engine. My brother could
not reduce the labor cost but bought the engine himself for the shop to
install. He saved me the %100 part markup that the dealer would have
charged.
Old July 12th 18, 01:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 13:28:50 -0500,
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
> wrote:
>
>>In article >, NONONOmisc07
says...

>>> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
>>>
>>> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
>>> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.
>>>

>>Get the radio without it.
>>
>>I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
>>have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
>>transfer them with a USB drive to the car.
>>
>>As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
>>free.
>>

>Paper maps are FREE at any DMV. Thats all I need!!!!

I mostly agree with you. That's what ended up working on my Sunday
drive the other day.

Before I drove to Florida, I went to tourism [state name] for
each of the states I was driving through, and they each sent me a map.
I think the search word was tourism. Allow 30 or 45 days.

Plus if you are on an interstate, and it's 9-6 Sunday - Saturday, there
is usually a plaza soon after entering a state where you can stop and
get a state map. Though in a few states, everything is on display
except the map, which you have to ask for.
Old July 12th 18, 03:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

On 7/11/2018 8:40 PM, micky wrote:

>> Paper maps are FREE at any DMV. Thats all I need!!!!

> I mostly agree with you. That's what ended up working on my Sunday
> drive the other day.
>
> Before I drove to Florida, I went to tourism [state name] for
> each of the states I was driving through, and they each sent me a map.
> I think the search word was tourism. Allow 30 or 45 days.

I've driven across the country a few times and parts of Europe with
paper maps. I still like to look at them for the overall view.

That said. navigation in a car is a very useful tool. Pick a state and
a major city and I'll take you to it with no map, just a basic knowledge
of geography and road signs.

So. we are traveling and think it is about time to call it a day. On my
navigation I can search for hotels. I can choose "along route" and it
brings them up by distance. I can choose on and press a button to call
ahead to see if they have a room. If yes, I push another button and the
car will guide me to it. I have a Head Up Display so it even shows me
the next turn on the windshield and the distance down to 10 feet.

Do I need it? No, I've done well for decades. It is though, a great
tool along the way to find food, fuel, lodging. As I said, I can get
you to Cleveland or Fargo, but the navigation will take me right to 666
Park Street. Its a tool I'm willing to pay for.
Old July 12th 18, 04:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

On 07/11/2018 08:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Do I need it? No, I've done well for decades. It is though, a great
> tool along the way to find food, fuel, lodging. As I said, I can get
> you to Cleveland or Fargo, but the navigation will take me right to 666
> Park Street. Its a tool I'm willing to pay for.

That's what I find valuable. As far as large scale navigation goes, I
drove OTR in the '90s and like the song says I've been everywhere.
However calling up the motels and grocery stores in Fargo saves time.

That's where the updates come in too. I hadn't updated mine in a long
time and last fall it guided me to a Basha's in Tucson that was gone.
Old July 12th 18, 07:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 6:15:26 PM UTC-10, micky wrote:
> In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does
> it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?
>
> What if you want to install the next year's version?
>
> My current 2005 toyota has a map on DVD, and it's not got all the roads,
> even the ones that existed then. A repacement DVD is 90+ dollars!
> but mine is good. OTOH, one for 2011 is only $20, but I'm guessing it
> won't work right??? And I don't know if it has many more roads or not.
> Maybe it only has more recent stores.
>
> And I don't see anything newer than 2011, so I figure they don't use
> DVDs anymore. ??
>
> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
>
> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

I'm surprised that they still make standalone GPS units. I use an app on my phone - Waze. The app gives real time updates on road/traffic conditions, estimated time of arrival, presence of road hazards, including police. In the future, all cars will be sending data back and forth to each other.

At any given time, your car will know what every other car near you is going to do. We won't have to worry about driving defensively. Road traffic will act as a single huge living organism.
Old July 12th 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

On 07/11/2018 10:18 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

>> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
>>
>> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
>> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.
>>

> Get the radio without it.
>
> I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
> have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
> transfer them with a USB drive to the car.
>
> As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
> free.

WE still have our Garmin with lifetime updates, but we gave up using it:
Before a longish trip about five years ago, I updated the maps, with the
result that it was telling us things like "keep left" where there was no
intersection or ramp, and was showing us driving in the middle of a
cornfield when we were in fact on the highway.

Maybe a further update would solve the problem, but the Sygic app on the
phone is much better, with a heads-up display mode and lane assist.

Perce
Old July 12th 18, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 23:44:00 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 > wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 6:15:26 PM UTC-10, micky wrote:
>> In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does
>> it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?
>>
>> What if you want to install the next year's version?
>>
>> My current 2005 toyota has a map on DVD, and it's not got all the roads,
>> even the ones that existed then. A repacement DVD is 90+ dollars!
>> but mine is good. OTOH, one for 2011 is only $20, but I'm guessing it
>> won't work right??? And I don't know if it has many more roads or not.
>> Maybe it only has more recent stores.
>>
>> And I don't see anything newer than 2011, so I figure they don't use
>> DVDs anymore. ??
>>
>> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
>>
>> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
>> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

>I'm surprised that they still make standalone GPS units. I use an app on my phone - Waze. The app gives real time updates on road/traffic conditions, estimated time of arrival, presence of road hazards, including police. In the future, all cars will be sending data back and forth to each other.

Some people (me for one) don't pay for a monthly cell phone plan. If I did, I would make
use of such an app.
Old July 12th 18, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:31:34 -0400, "Percival P.
Cassidy" > wrote:

>On 07/11/2018 10:18 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
>
>>> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
>>>
>>> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
>>> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.
>>>

>> Get the radio without it.
>>
>> I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
>> have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
>> transfer them with a USB drive to the car.
>>
>> As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
>> free.

>WE still have our Garmin with lifetime updates, but we gave up using it:
>Before a longish trip about five years ago, I updated the maps, with the
>result that it was telling us things like "keep left" where there was no
>intersection or ramp,

I think you were taking those words as traffic instructions, when they
were actually political. Garmin was taken over by a commie pink
consortium.

and was showing us driving in the middle of a
>cornfield when we were in fact on the highway.

And by the anti-farm lobby.

>Maybe a further update would solve the problem, but the Sygic app on the
>phone is much better, with a heads-up display mode and lane assist.

They have 10 apps. The first one just gave me directions to Bratislava.
Which one do you use?