Car turning over but not starting, or stalling as soon as starting

Old August 22nd 05, 06:06 PM
Ed

Default Car turning over but not starting, or stalling as soon as starting

I have a problem where my 91 accord lx either turns over but does not
start, or starts and stall within 2 seconds. After starting and
stalling it has trouble starting again. Once it gets going it is fine,
and sometimes it starts ok. It does not seem to be connected to heat,
etc. It has happened with the car warned up, and the car cold.

I took out the spark plug once and was able to get spark against the
value cover bolt from 1/4 inch away.
I have sprayed starting fluid in the air intake and started with gas
pedal down all the way and that has worked a couple times
I replaced the spark plug and that was enough to get it going once.

There is plenty of gas.
I replaced the whole distributor(excpet ignition coil) and replaced the
ignitor(oem) about 4 months ago(and adjusted the timing). The checked
the resistence on the ignition coil then and it looked ok. Replaced
fuel filter(aftermarket) 6 months ago. The checked the resistence on
the
I tested the resistence of the spark plug wires and they are well
within spec.
When I took about the spark plugs, I think 2 of them had oil on the
inside.
The dealer checked my injectors a couple months ago.
The check engine light is not on when started. I checked the codes
and the the check engine light did not flash but the sport light did.
I thought it was the check engine light the flashes??? the sport light
flashed 1, 2, 7, 8 which does not seem to make a lot of sense.

Any ideas?

Old August 22nd 05, 06:36 PM
Frank Boettcher

On 22 Aug 2005 10:06:45 -0700, "Ed" > wrote:

>I have a problem where my 91 accord lx either turns over but does not
>start, or starts and stall within 2 seconds. After starting and
>stalling it has trouble starting again. Once it gets going it is fine,
>and sometimes it starts ok. It does not seem to be connected to heat,
>etc. It has happened with the car warned up, and the car cold.
>

>I took out the spark plug once and was able to get spark against the
>value cover bolt from 1/4 inch away.
>I have sprayed starting fluid in the air intake and started with gas
>pedal down all the way and that has worked a couple times
>I replaced the spark plug and that was enough to get it going once.
>
>There is plenty of gas.
>I replaced the whole distributor(excpet ignition coil) and replaced the
>ignitor(oem) about 4 months ago(and adjusted the timing). The checked
>the resistence on the ignition coil then and it looked ok. Replaced
>fuel filter(aftermarket) 6 months ago. The checked the resistence on
>the
>I tested the resistence of the spark plug wires and they are well
>within spec.
>When I took about the spark plugs, I think 2 of them had oil on the
>inside.
>The dealer checked my injectors a couple months ago.
>The check engine light is not on when started. I checked the codes
>and the the check engine light did not flash but the sport light did.
>I thought it was the check engine light the flashes??? the sport light
>flashed 1, 2, 7, 8 which does not seem to make a lot of sense.
>
>Any ideas?

Is your ignition switch original? Just for kicks when it does the
stalling two seconds after you start it, hold the switch a little
toward the start position (in other words don't let it spring all the
way back to the run position). See if it keeps running. If so, your
switch is failing and you won't get a code on it.

Has your main relay been changed/reworked?
Old August 22nd 05, 08:14 PM
TeGGeR®

"Ed" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I have a problem where my 91 accord lx either turns over but does not
> start, or starts and stall within 2 seconds. After starting and
> stalling it has trouble starting again. Once it gets going it is fine,
> and sometimes it starts ok. It does not seem to be connected to heat,
> etc. It has happened with the car warned up, and the car cold.

Probably your EFI Main Relay. Very common.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...html#mainrelay

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 1st 05, 01:33 AM
Ed

I replaced the main relay and this is still happening.
I think the ignition switch is origional.

After it is happening starting and keeping the switch turned longer
does not make it start.
This time it happened after just running the car for a couple minutes,
then turning it off for 5 minutes.

Any other ideas???

Old September 1st 05, 04:53 AM
B Squareman

"Ed" > wrote in message ps.com...

> I replaced the main relay and this is still happening.
> I think the ignition switch is origional.

> After it is happening starting and keeping the switch turned longer
> does not make it start.
> This time it happened after just running the car for a couple minutes,
> then turning it off for 5 minutes.

Flooding from sticky injectors? I've tested 4 Accord injectors using
45-psi fuel on a test bench. One injector will not close after shutdown.
This could stumble the car right after startup and possibly flood
it. There are simple procedures to de-flood.

Old September 1st 05, 02:33 PM
'Curly Q. Links'

Ed wrote:

> I replaced the main relay and this is still happening.
> I think the ignition switch is origional.
>
> After it is happening starting and keeping the switch turned longer
> does not make it start.
> This time it happened after just running the car for a couple minutes,
> then turning it off for 5 minutes.
>
> Any other ideas???

-------------------------------

Ignition switch is your next item to swap. Honda recalled several
million a couple years ago. The techs can swap those suckers with one
screwdriver behind their backs. Do it yourself, or haggle them for a
lower labour rate. . . .

Since you say is sometimes happens only sitting a few minutes, it's not
a leaking injector. That shows up after sitting all weekend, or at least
over night. The cure for that, (flooded engine) as Burt mentioned, is in
the manual. Hold the pedal to the floor and crank for up to fifteen
seconds. I works.

'Curly'
Old December 11th 05, 09:12 PM
huppy34 huppy34 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
[...]

You might check to see if the inline fuel filter is clogged up,this will stop enough fuel to keep the engine from getting fuel to run properly!

Huppy34