Difficult starting as fuel tank gets low - 525 TDS

Old March 21st 05, 10:48 PM
nick smith

Default Difficult starting as fuel tank gets low - 525 TDS

On a 1995 525TDS, as the fuel tank level drops below about 1/2 full, and the
car is not started for a couple of days, it takes a lot of cranking to start.
With a full tank it starts immediately. Is there a "lift pump" on the tank that
lifts the fuel and sends it at (? lowish)pressure around a loop ? If so,
presumably there is a dip tube which may have a tiny leak, or poor seal,
allowing the pump to become "un-primed". There seems to be no fuel leaks
anywhere, either after standing or when running (no tell tale signs of leaking
fuel on underside of car)

Perhaps this is a typical problem on a "lift pump" of more than a few years
old, so is the remedy new seals or is it a case of a new pump assembly ?

Thanks,

Nick

Old March 22nd 05, 10:48 AM
John Burns

> On a 1995 525TDS, as the fuel tank level drops below about 1/2 full, and the
> car is not started for a couple of days, it takes a lot of cranking to start.
> With a full tank it starts immediately.

I've heard this a few times about the 525tds. There's a UK site called
something like www.bmwdiesels.co.uk, have a hunt for it.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old April 15th 05, 12:57 PM
Kev

Hi Nick,
Have you any joy diagnosing the problem?
I have a similar issue on a '98 318 tds and I've just been told I need
a new fuel pump, £85 + VAT is the price I've been quoted, so just
checking that I need it before I splash the cash.
Cheers
Kev...