Auto trans Check fluid on C-5

Old October 21st 09, 12:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
kickstart

Default Auto trans Check fluid on C-5

Well I hate to sound dumb, butt ............
I looked in the owners manual and it says take it to the dealer.
Does anyone know or have a page from a manual that shows how to check
and add auto trans fluid on a C-5 ??
Thanks

danny
Old October 21st 09, 01:18 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"kickstart" > wrote in message
> Well I hate to sound dumb, butt ............
> I looked in the owners manual and it says take it to the dealer.
> Does anyone know or have a page from a manual that shows how to
> check
> and add auto trans fluid on a C-5 ??
> Thanks
>
> danny

On the drivers side of the transmission there is a plug clearly
labeled FILL on the casting beside it, fluid is to be level with the
bottom of that hole. Be aware that some of those plugs had a
temperature wire connection to it depending on what options your C5
has. Male hex if there is a wire, female if not. Toque to 20 FT/LB.

Drain plug is further back and lower but is also clearly marked DRAIN.

While you're under there check the spring plate bolts, I think they
are 15 M/M, some have come loose on the C5.

Old October 21st 09, 02:39 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "kickstart" > wrote in message
>> Well I hate to sound dumb, butt ............
>> I looked in the owners manual and it says take it to the dealer.
>> Does anyone know or have a page from a manual that shows how to
>> check
>> and add auto trans fluid on a C-5 ??
>> Thanks
>>
>> danny

> On the drivers side of the transmission there is a plug clearly
> labeled FILL on the casting beside it, fluid is to be level with the
> bottom of that hole. Be aware that some of those plugs had a
> temperature wire connection to it depending on what options your C5
> has. Male hex if there is a wire, female if not. Toque to 20 FT/LB.
>
> Drain plug is further back and lower but is also clearly marked
> DRAIN.
>
> While you're under there check the spring plate bolts, I think they
> are 15 M/M, some have come loose on the C5.

Well speaking of a dumb butt, I just noticed that you wanted
information for the automatic.

Some still applies except the transmission has to be hot and run
through the gears before you remove the drain plug on the side of the
pan with the engine running. Drain plug means there can be hot fluid
exit when you remove the plug. CAREFUL! Fluid should be level with the
bottom of the plug hole.

Why they call it a drain plug I have no idea because the next
paragraph it says "To drain the transmission remove the pan."

Sorry for the confusion on my part, good luck.