Winter Storage Questions

Old August 27th 09, 11:02 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
J R

Default Winter Storage Questions

Living in Maine, my vette will be in storage in an unheated garage for
the winter months. Should I drain the gas tank or just use an additive &
frequently start it up? Also, I planned on covering it with a Coverking
Satin Stretch cover. Does anybody know just how good this cover is at
dust protection? The reviews I've read are all favorable, but, few
mention dust. Thanks.

Old August 28th 09, 01:24 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

Mine was in storage in NH for 5 years.

I started it once every 6 months - battery charger needed.
I changed 10 gallons of the gas out once a year.

Surround it with open containers of the evil green "mouse food" - it saved
mine.

-W

Old August 29th 09, 01:15 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 27, 5:02*pm, (J R) wrote:
> Living in Maine, my vette will be in storage in an unheated garage for
> the winter months. Should I drain the gas tank or just use an additive &
> frequently start it up? Also, I planned on covering it with a Coverking
> Satin Stretch cover. Does anybody know just how good this cover is at
> dust protection? The reviews I've read are all favorable, but, few
> mention dust. Thanks.

Just add Sta-bil to the gas tank then run it for a few minutes to be
sure it gets into the fuel line and carb/injectors . Dont just start
it up occassionally, but, take it for a spin and get it up to
operating temp. That is very important.
Old August 30th 09, 01:40 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

How long are your winters? If 3 mos or so of frozen roads, I would just
disconnect the battery and let it sit.

Starting the engine without fully warming it up may not be the best.
Storage over winter is not really that long. You might ask your dealer but
I bet they say to not worry about it either.

Vito

Old August 30th 09, 06:37 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

More like 4-5 months if he waits for the spring rains to wash all the salt
off the roads.

-W

Old August 30th 09, 12:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
J R

I would probably put it away in oct.-nov., depending on the weather, &
definately wait for the salt to be washed awawy from the roads, probably
late april.

Thank for the replies.

Old August 31st 09, 02:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Steve Cox

I store my vette in a converted old chicken barn in New Hampshire with
many other vettes for about 6 months. It's been OK with Sta-bil in
the gas and the battery disconnected. Be sure to have plenty of mouse
traps and poison around or you will have mice taking up home building
in your engine and interior. They can do a lot of damage to
upholstery. Some people even put a wad of paper in the tail pipes or
a plastic bag over them to keep mice out.
Old October 15th 09, 03:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
jim

"Steve Cox" > wrote in message
>I store my vette in a converted old chicken barn in New Hampshire with
> many other vettes for about 6 months. It's been OK with Sta-bil in
> the gas and the battery disconnected. Be sure to have plenty of mouse
> traps and poison around or you will have mice taking up home building
> in your engine and interior. They can do a lot of damage to
> upholstery. Some people even put a wad of paper in the tail pipes or
> a plastic bag over them to keep mice out.

I'm told mice will eat through paper and plastic...take a ball of aluminum
foil and stuff the tailpipe with that instead. I have, however, been very
lucky with mice. I store my 1977 vette in my shop in the backyard ..I have
mouse traps set, but haven't caught a mouse in the 13 years I have owned the
place ... I use a gas stabilizer and pull the battery out. I keep the Vette
covered but have the windows left ajar a bit to prevent any stale smells to
occur. I start the car whenever I get a warmer than usual day which works
out to once every month or so... jim