1999 Odyssey transmission

Old June 10th 06, 08:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1999 Odyssey transmission

I have a 1999 Odyssey which we bought new. It now has 109K miles. My son has
been driving it, and reported that the transmission sometimes slips. I took
it to the dealer and they said they got the transmission to slip, the codes
reported by the transmission indicated a failing clutch, and that the
transmission would need to be replaced. They said my car was beyond the
warranty (which I believe ends at 100K miles for my car) and the replacement
would cost $2700. So now for my questions:

Does this sound like the symptoms of the transmission failure for which the
warranty was extended?

How does the failure typically progress from here? Should I expect a sudden
catestrophic failure which would leave me stranded, or do they generally
degrade gradually while maintaining some ability to get home?

What are the odds that the problem stays at about it's current level (which
is not a big deal) rather than progressing?

Has anyone had success with fluid changes or flushing (or for that matter
anything other than a complete replacement)?

Are there cheaper alternatives than the dealer for transmission replacement,
and if so, with which national brands (if any) have people had success?

Thanks in advance,

Frank Kerfoot
Honda has had problems with the eaerlyer year odyssey"s
transmission. in canada i remember there was a recall on them

and Honda even extended there transmission warranty
they are "Faulty its a Fact" Frank" Honda knows that cant be to hard

for them to admit it especially when its listed right on there computer. and not
to mention all the service bulletins from ALLDATA on there as well. Frank i would

gather up my maintanance service records and get honda to acknowledge the
fact that they indeed have a faulty transmission on hand and that its only FAIRE that
they fix there faulty problem at there cost.

--
johnin

View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-422620.html

Send from http://www.carstalk.net