86 accord/motor oil in air filter pan

Old December 21st 05, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 86 accord/motor oil in air filter pan

My 86 honda accord DX is getting motor oil in the air filter pan. It seems
to be leaking oil from the thermostatic air cleaner valve motor next to the
air filter housing. What could be causing this?

Old December 21st 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

alscubapal wrote:
> My 86 honda accord DX is getting motor oil in the air filter pan. It seems
> to be leaking oil from the thermostatic air cleaner valve motor next to the
> air filter housing. What could be causing this?

Replace your PCV valve. It's probably clogged leading to blowback from
the engine manifold.

dan
Old December 21st 05, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Worn compression rings that allow exhaust gasses into the crankcase,
causing an increase in pressure which forces an oily mist into your air
cleaner.

Old December 21st 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"alscubapal" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> My 86 honda accord DX is getting motor oil in the air filter pan. It
> seems to be leaking oil from the thermostatic air cleaner valve motor
> next to the air filter housing. What could be causing this?

That's the crankcase breather pumping oil into your air cleaner.

Check PCV system. If the valve is not plugged, then the engine is
generating excessive blowby.

As Misterbeets says, your case is most likely worn compression rings (at
that age).

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 22nd 05, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Thank you very much. I have been trying to locate the pcv valve. I cannot
find it. Do I need to remove the air cleaner housing?

Old December 22nd 05, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"alscubapal" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> Thank you very much. I have been trying to locate the pcv valve. I
> cannot find it. Do I need to remove the air cleaner housing?

If your car is carbureted, it's right in the top of your valve cover, with
a hose going to the intake.

If it's fuel-injected, it's in a web of metal between the runners of the
intake manifold and may be very difficult to get at.
An example of another hard one is my '91 Integra:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/pcv-r...x.html#replace

I think yours is a metal tube-shape, not the plastic "L"-shape many other
cars have.

Old December 22nd 05, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

DX is carbed. The PCV is roughly top center, in a small upside-down
u-shaped hose. It's tough to remove, and it would be wise to replace
the old hose, to make refitting easier.

The hose on the VC only lets air into the crankcase, so the PCV can let
it out.

Old December 22nd 05, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

www.slhonda.com has a drawing. Go to its parts section, put
in your car info. It should be under "engine," then
"Breather... "

"alscubapal" > wrote

Old January 2nd 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I have just purchased a 86 accord (150k miles) that has been sitting for
about a year. It gets a vibration when I am at a stop and have have the
gear in drive, if I shift to neutral the vibration goes away. It idles
at
750rpm in drive and about 1000rpm in neutral. What could be causing this
vibration?