Starting problem with E36 325 (1993)

Old November 2nd 05, 09:13 AM
Andy

Default Starting problem with E36 325 (1993)

Hi,

Has anyone had an intermittent starting problem with the above?
What seems to happen is: when it doesn't start immediately when the key
is turned - from then on it is in the wrong 'mode' (perhaps from a fuel
injection point of view?).
It will start if I just hold it turning over for around 5 - 10 mins and
when it catches, keep the starter motor turning for another 10 seconds
or so.
This only happens about once a month - but is pretty annoying. All
other times it starts straight away.
Thanks.
Old November 2nd 05, 05:00 PM
Stanley Beamish

I've had similar problems. According to the AA guy who came out to me when
it first happened, it's a common problem with some beemers (and some other
car types). Also happens if start then immediately and stop engine from
cold. Won't (easily) restart. Now have to ban wife from moving car off
drive and stopping the engine when she wants access to the garage. If she
drives it around for a bit then it's OK.

Old November 4th 05, 08:42 PM
william Ako

I get a similar problem with a 95 323i. If I put the key in the ignition
and dont start it straight away it wont start. I have to take the key out
of the ignition ang wait about 3 - 5 seconds and then try again. If I cannot
hear the fuel pump in the back it wont start. I suspect the immobilizer but
I am not 100% sure. let me know if you find a fix