Can I Use 175/70R15 radials on 15 X 4.5 Wheel Rims?

Old January 3rd 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Can I Use 175/70R15 radials on 15 X 4.5 Wheel Rims?

Anyone use 175/70R15 radials on 15 X 4.5 Wheel Rims on their Beetle,
Type III or Type IV?

here is a quote from the link below:

For a Beetle, a Type III or a Type IV, the best inexpensive choice is
>175/70R15 radial. It was optional on some Beetles and standard on Type
>IVs, and fits well on the common 15x4.5" wheel (and OK on the narrower
>15x4 wheel).
>If you have wider wheels (such as 15x5.5), you can still use 175/70R15,
>which sits well on this rim, but you may consider getting performance
>tires (Pirelli is my choice, but they're not cheap) in either 195/60R15
>(a little low, provides better acceleration but speedo shows too high)
>or 205/60R15 (just about right height, but more expensive, and may have
>clearance problems in some models).

You should *NOT* put 60-series tires
>in a swing axle suspension car, though!

>If you have a Porsche 914, 195/60R15 is the largest "safe" size. If you
>have wheels with the right offset, 205/60R15 may work (it didn't for me).
>Again, 175/70R15 is the stock size.

>Remember that as a rule of thumb, any given tire will handle better if it
>is mounted on a wider rim. 60-series tires will handle better than 70-
>series, but at the expense of some ride comfort.

Link:
http://groups.google.com.au/group/re...851ccae19db0f3

I think I might try it on my 1973 Beetle.
I was saving up for some 15 X 5.5 rims.
I could use that money for something else.
Old January 3rd 09, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

That article was written in 1996.

I can not find 175/70R15 radials anywhere.
Old January 3rd 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> I think I might try it on my 1973 Beetle.
> I was saving up for some 15 X 5.5 rims.
> I could use that money for something else.

My Beetle mostly just sits on the drive.
The tires I have on it should last another 3 or more years.
That should give me time to save up for some new 5.5 x 15 rims or just
get some Chinese Nankang tires from acnet or cip1.

235/70r15 to 255/60r15 buick roadmaster [email protected] General 0 November 30th 06 01:44 AM
About my wheel rims johnin BMW 7 May 28th 06 03:04 AM
About my wheel rims Erhanboy BMW 5 May 14th 06 11:24 PM
About my wheel rims johnin BMW 0 May 14th 06 11:55 AM
polishing alloy wheel rims? Russ (www.e36coupe.com) BMW 0 January 16th 06 08:28 AM