Recall / retrofit

Old July 22nd 08, 08:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Recall / retrofit

Took my 2005 Z4 in for its inspection 1 service. As part of the service
the dealer said they were going to retrofit a relay as part of a recall.
Other info on the service instructions include:

65.13.06 LBL 469 Retrofitting Relay

I asked what this was about and was told it had something to do with the
radio. Of course they had to keep it overnight because they did not have
the relay in stock. They also told me it would take about 45 minutes to
replace because they had to remove a panel in the trunk.

I wonder how much of this is bunk. Any place I can find info on the
recall?

Old July 22nd 08, 10:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

" > wrote
> Took my 2005 Z4 in for its inspection 1 service. As part of the service
> the dealer said they were going to retrofit a relay as part of a recall.
> Other info on the service instructions include:
>
> 65.13.06 LBL 469 Retrofitting Relay
>
> I asked what this was about and was told it had something to do with the
> radio. Of course they had to keep it overnight because they did not have
> the relay in stock. They also told me it would take about 45 minutes to
> replace because they had to remove a panel in the trunk.
>
> I wonder how much of this is bunk. Any place I can find info on the
> recall?

NHTSA recalls are listed on their site. Google (if a Yahoo user knows
how to use Google) "automobile recall information".

There are no 2005 Z4 recalls there. Which means that it's not a recall,
but something more like a "customer satisfaction campaign" and you will
have to ask the service manager/advisor.

FloydR

Old July 23rd 08, 09:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Service advisor said some BMWs had a bad relay which caused the car NOT to
go into sleep mode after 18 minutes resulting in battery drain. BMW decided
to replace all relays as a precautionary measure.

I think this is bunk because the description of the service was "removed
radio and removed connector and pulled out 3 wires and installed per SIB."

acquisition...

Old July 25th 08, 12:26 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Brett Anderson - KMS

The procedure includes adding three wires to the back of the radio.

Speaking of curious minds.... Did they top off your fuel tank?

The service bulletin in question tells the dealer to give the car back with
a full tank of fuel, at BMWs expense.

Brett Anderson
KMS-Koala Motorsport

m...