reliability of cars used cars in BMW 523,528 bracket

Old February 8th 05, 03:01 AM
levyte357

Default reliability of cars used cars in BMW 523,528 bracket

I "was" thinking of acquring a used BMW 523/528 SE of around 7 years old,
approx 100K miles.
This was becasue I have seen many of these in UK for around £5,000. But may
now be looking at a similiar Lexus GS300, Saab 9-5 2.3T or Audi A6 2.6.

I have in the past had a 7 yeard old 535SEi (Full Serivce History)/ 730 SEi
(part service history), and overall reliability was very dissapointing.
Engine's were OK, but many other "expensive" parts required replacing., e.g
Switchable gbox on 7'series (Ouch), front psngr window coming off rails,
headlight circuit blew, central locking malfunction, over heating, petrol
guage faulty. Basically the only enjoyment I got out of these two cars was
the road presence (when they were'nt in the garage).

Many people recommended to me to only buy BMW new, or get a used japanese
car, (Lexus, Toyota et al).

I am a "BMW guy" at heart, but my mechanic says a £5000 BMW 5 series would
be a downgrade in reliability compared to my current 11 year old Rover 620
SLI
(with Honda engine, worth about £300, which I havent spent anything on for a
year).

I find this very worrying....

Comments anyone...?

Drving faster, in my experience does not make a significant change in mileage... Cory Dunkle Driving 118 February 4th 05 03:00 PM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 05:27 PM
Vintage Cars Get Hot with Makeovers Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 2 December 5th 04 04:13 AM
European Cars Least Reliable Richard Schulman VW water cooled 3 November 11th 04 09:41 AM
FS: 1991 "Classic Cars" (Of The World) Cards with Box J.R. Sinclair General 0 May 27th 04 07:31 AM