B4 vr6 woes

Old December 21st 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
starburst

Default B4 vr6 woes

Hi Drivers -

The Serpentine belt on my B4 Passat VR6 (AAA engine) broke the other
day, causing me to lose power steering and alternator. I coaxed the car
on battery down the road a quarter mile to the next parking lot where
the engine finally died. The battery was completely dead. I pushed the
car into a space and went off to get parts.

I went out today and put in a new serpentine belt and a tensioner (the
old one caused the belt to shred) and jumped the car to start it. It
took a little revving on the other car to get the motor to finally turn,
but once it did the engine started right up. Only problem is that once I
take my foot off of the gas the engine dies. Did this several times,
always with the same result. I was freezing and had to get home, so I
left it again.

I'm gonna go back tomorrow and try to puzzle it out, but does this sound
familiar to any of you? The engine was working perfectly before the belt
crapped out. Could the dead battery account for the problem?

Any ideas for me to think about?

TIA - Chris
Old December 21st 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 20:19:15 -0500, starburst > wrote:

>Hi Drivers -
>
>The Serpentine belt on my B4 Passat VR6 (AAA engine) broke the other
>day, causing me to lose power steering and alternator. I coaxed the car
>on battery down the road a quarter mile to the next parking lot where
>the engine finally died. The battery was completely dead. I pushed the
>car into a space and went off to get parts.
>
>I went out today and put in a new serpentine belt and a tensioner (the
>old one caused the belt to shred) and jumped the car to start it. It
>took a little revving on the other car to get the motor to finally turn,
>but once it did the engine started right up. Only problem is that once I
>take my foot off of the gas the engine dies. Did this several times,
>always with the same result. I was freezing and had to get home, so I
>left it again.
>
>I'm gonna go back tomorrow and try to puzzle it out, but does this sound
>familiar to any of you? The engine was working perfectly before the belt
>crapped out. Could the dead battery account for the problem?
>
>Any ideas for me to think about?
>
>TIA - Chris

Yes, the dead battery could be at fault now , and likely.

Old December 22nd 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes recharge battery and test it since it needs to be in good shape.
Then when you turn the ign on, see if you hear the throttle body making
noise for just under a minute.
Not sure if your '94 needs to have the throttle body aligned.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html

Now start the engine and see what happens.

Old December 22nd 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_2_]

check to see if the belt damaged any of the vacuum lines or pipe going to
the MAF. I don't think that year needs the adaptation done.

Old December 23rd 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
starburst

starburst wrote:
> Hi Drivers -
>

> I'm gonna go back tomorrow and try to puzzle it out, but does this sound
> familiar to any of you? The engine was working perfectly before the belt
> crapped out. Could the dead battery account for the problem?

Thanks to all - it was the battery. Went back with a spare, popped it in
and drove away a minute later. Whew. No throttle adaptation was
necessary, though I had to clear the codes after the misses as the
battery went dead. This engine actually came out of a 98 Jetta, still
AAA - If you all recall I siezed one of the cams in this passat last
winter and spent several months of weekends to R&R with a newer engine
from a local boneyard. Only annoying problem was that the cam position
sensor was different on the newer engine, so I had to replace the upper
timing chain cover with the old one and use the old wiring harness. It's
been a terrific swap, btw, hasn't lost a drop of oil in 8 months. Pretty
cool.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Chris
Old December 23rd 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

thanks for the update!

glad it was an easy fix!

Happy Holidays to all!

SL2 woes. meloyellowjr Saturn 5 March 5th 07 06:56 PM
SL2 woes. meloyellowjr Saturn 1 February 19th 07 11:37 PM
SL2 woes. meloyellowjr Saturn 0 February 19th 07 08:37 PM
AOD woes Howard Nelson Ford Mustang 4 July 21st 06 04:01 AM
Oil Pan Woes Fred Garvin Jeep 5 July 31st 05 01:20 PM