Help w/ rough idle and poor gas mileage

Old November 19th 04, 12:40 AM
Pepito

Default Help w/ rough idle and poor gas mileage

Hello folks I am experiencing rough idle when the engine is on for 20
minutes or more, I am also noticing a really poor gas milleage.This
problem have been increasing with time. There are no computer error
codes to give me a clue of what the problem could be, anyone have any
ideas?

I got this car a year ago and I haven't checked if there is a
thermostat, the fan starts as soon as I open the ignition which means
it is connected to activate with the ignition opening. When I start the
engine cold, it takes a long time to warm and come down from around
2000 rpms to 750 rpms and I think it works way to cold to be in
Florida. Please help me fix this old pony before I junk it.

--
88' Mustang LX Convertible 2.3L

Old November 19th 04, 12:59 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Pepito opined in news:2004111819405616807%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindsp ringcom:

> Hello folks I am experiencing rough idle when the engine is on for 20
> minutes or more, I am also noticing a really poor gas milleage.This
> problem have been increasing with time. There are no computer error
> codes to give me a clue of what the problem could be, anyone have any
> ideas?
>
> I got this car a year ago and I haven't checked if there is a
> thermostat, the fan starts as soon as I open the ignition which means
> it is connected to activate with the ignition opening. When I start the
> engine cold, it takes a long time to warm and come down from around
> 2000 rpms to 750 rpms and I think it works way to cold to be in
> Florida. Please help me fix this old pony before I junk it.

Do the thermostat WITH A 192 and come back then.
Old November 19th 04, 01:29 AM
Pepito

On 2004-11-18 19:59:24 -0500, Backyard Mechanic > said:

> Pepito opined in news:2004111819405616807%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindsp ringcom:
>
>> Hello folks I am experiencing rough idle when the engine is on for 20
>> minutes or more, I am also noticing a really poor gas milleage.This
>> problem have been increasing with time. There are no computer error
>> codes to give me a clue of what the problem could be, anyone have any
>> ideas?
>>
>> I got this car a year ago and I haven't checked if there is a
>> thermostat, the fan starts as soon as I open the ignition which means
>> it is connected to activate with the ignition opening. When I start the
>> engine cold, it takes a long time to warm and come down from around
>> 2000 rpms to 750 rpms and I think it works way to cold to be in
>> Florida. Please help me fix this old pony before I junk it.
>>

> Do the thermostat WITH A 192 and come back then.

What's a 192?

Old November 19th 04, 01:51 AM
John

"Pepito" > wrote in message
news:2004111820293375249%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindsp ringcom...
> On 2004-11-18 19:59:24 -0500, Backyard Mechanic >
> said:
>
>> Pepito opined in
>> news:2004111819405616807%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindsp ringcom:
>>
>>> Hello folks I am experiencing rough idle when the engine is on for 20
>>> minutes or more, I am also noticing a really poor gas milleage.This
>>> problem have been increasing with time. There are no computer error
>>> codes to give me a clue of what the problem could be, anyone have any
>>> ideas?
>>>
>>> I got this car a year ago and I haven't checked if there is a
>>> thermostat, the fan starts as soon as I open the ignition which means it
>>> is connected to activate with the ignition opening. When I start the
>>> engine cold, it takes a long time to warm and come down from around 2000
>>> rpms to 750 rpms and I think it works way to cold to be in Florida.
>>> Please help me fix this old pony before I junk it.
>>>

>> Do the thermostat WITH A 192 and come back then.

> What's a 192?

It's a thermostat that opens at 192 degrees Fahrenheit to allow water from
the block to flow through the radiator.

--
John
ThunderSnake #59

Old November 19th 04, 01:58 AM
Backyard Mechanic

John opined

>>> Do the thermostat WITH A 192 and come back then.

>> What's a 192?
>>

> It's a thermostat that opens at 192 degrees Fahrenheit to allow water
> from the block to flow through the radiator.

Sorry...it's the designed temp for the engine I ONLY said the number to
state that there is NO advantage to going with a lower number and it is
potentailly harmful..

and on that note... if the engine has been operating that way for any length
of time, the inside is probably a mess and sludgy... check inside your
filler and on your dipstick for wipeable deposits
Old November 19th 04, 02:03 AM
Pepito

On 2004-11-18 20:51:38 -0500, "John"
> said:

> "Pepito" > wrote in message
> news:2004111820293375249%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindsp ringcom...
>> On 2004-11-18 19:59:24 -0500, Backyard Mechanic > said:
>>
>>> Pepito opined in news:2004111819405616807%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindsp ringcom:

>>> Do the thermostat WITH A 192 and come back then.

>> What's a 192?
>>

> It's a thermostat that opens at 192 degrees Fahrenheit to allow water
> from the block to flow through the radiator.

Thanks for the info J
--
88' Mustang LX Convertible 2.3L

Old November 19th 04, 02:05 AM
Pepito

On 2004-11-18 20:58:36 -0500, Backyard Mechanic > said:

> John opined

>>> What's a 192?
>>>

>> It's a thermostat that opens at 192 degrees Fahrenheit to allow water
>> from the block to flow through the radiator.
>>

> Sorry...it's the designed temp for the engine I ONLY said the number
> to state that there is NO advantage to going with a lower number and it
> is potentailly harmful..
>
> and on that note... if the engine has been operating that way for any
> length of time, the inside is probably a mess and sludgy... check
> inside your filler and on your dipstick for wipeable deposits

Could the temperature be the cause of rough idle and poor gas mileage?
--
88' Mustang LX Convertible 2.3L

Old November 19th 04, 02:11 AM
John

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> John opined

>>> What's a 192?
>>>

>> It's a thermostat that opens at 192 degrees Fahrenheit to allow water
>> from the block to flow through the radiator.
>>

> Sorry...it's the designed temp for the engine I ONLY said the number to
> state that there is NO advantage to going with a lower number and it is
> potentailly harmful..
>
> and on that note... if the engine has been operating that way for any
> length
> of time, the inside is probably a mess and sludgy... check inside your
> filler and on your dipstick for wipeable deposits

I'd like to see a show of hands of those that did or did not understood you
meant all that with "Do the thermostat WITH A 192 and come back then". It
definitely went over my head.

Old November 19th 04, 02:56 AM
JS

"John" > wrote in message
> "Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
>> John opined

>>> It's a thermostat that opens at 192 degrees Fahrenheit to allow water
>>> from the block to flow through the radiator.
>>>

>> Sorry...it's the designed temp for the engine I ONLY said the number to
>> state that there is NO advantage to going with a lower number and it is
>> potentailly harmful..
>>
>> and on that note... if the engine has been operating that way for any
>> length
>> of time, the inside is probably a mess and sludgy... check inside your
>> filler and on your dipstick for wipeable deposits

> I'd like to see a show of hands of those that did or did not understood
> you meant all that with "Do the thermostat WITH A 192 and come back then".
> It definitely went over my head.

*raises hand in the "did" column*

JS

Old November 19th 04, 03:44 AM
Mike R

In article <2004111819405616807%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindspring com>, Pepito
> wrote:

> Hello folks I am experiencing rough idle when the engine is on for 20
> minutes or more, I am also noticing a really poor gas milleage.This
> problem have been increasing with time. There are no computer error
> codes to give me a clue of what the problem could be, anyone have any
> ideas?
>
> I got this car a year ago and I haven't checked if there is a
> thermostat, the fan starts as soon as I open the ignition which means
> it is connected to activate with the ignition opening. When I start the
> engine cold, it takes a long time to warm and come down from around
> 2000 rpms to 750 rpms and I think it works way to cold to be in
> Florida. Please help me fix this old pony before I junk it.

You've got the 2.3L engine, which means the fan is governed by the CCRM
and ECM. Unless your model year is designed differently than the 93s, the
fan should operate under the following conditions:

Engine temp reaches 221 degree threshold-->fan on
Engine temp drops down to 200 degree threshold-->fan off

A/C on with lack of air flow due to vehicle speed; 43mph or lower-->fan
on, and at 48mph-->fan off.

Note: All above operations are with the ignition switch to run position only.

If the fan starts instantly with a cold engine for instance, you may have
a defective CCRM, ECM, ECM receiving false inputs or possibly the previous
owner has modified the fan operation. I would first suspect the CCRM
(constant control relay module). All of this might explain the engine
having difficulties warming up, hence poor fuel economy among other
things. Again, the fan is NOT suppose to constantly operate when the
ignition is in the run position. This is the impression I'm getting from
your post.

If the t-stat has been removed by the previous owner, you can check for
max coolant flow after starting a cold engine. If replacement is needed,
install a 192 degree t-stat like B/M already mentioned...HTH

--
Mike
93 Cobra