Noisy lifters

Old November 12th 04, 08:51 PM
Roger

Default Noisy lifters

98 Plymouth Voyager has noisy lifters, oil level is ok. Any
suggestions out there? Rog
Old November 12th 04, 09:07 PM
maxpower

the oil level is ok now, what about the past history of oil changes?, How
many miles are on this?
m...

Old November 12th 04, 09:07 PM
maxpower

the oil level is ok now, what about the past history of oil changes?, How
many miles are on this?
m...

Old November 12th 04, 09:40 PM
Bob Shuman

Is this a 3.0L Mitsubishi engine? If so, do the lifters quiet down after
start up and the vehicle gets a chance to warm up?

If so, I've seen marked improvement in a 130K mile 3000GT with that same
dual cam engine using Mobil One 10W30 synthetic when compared to regular old
10W30 oil. YMMV.

Bob

m...

Old November 12th 04, 09:40 PM
Bob Shuman

Is this a 3.0L Mitsubishi engine? If so, do the lifters quiet down after
start up and the vehicle gets a chance to warm up?

If so, I've seen marked improvement in a 130K mile 3000GT with that same
dual cam engine using Mobil One 10W30 synthetic when compared to regular old
10W30 oil. YMMV.

Bob

m...

Old November 12th 04, 09:51 PM
partsmore

miles, what grade and oil are you using?
oil filter
--
ever treated engine with Seafoam?

Old November 12th 04, 11:39 PM
James C. Reeves

My 97 GC with the 3.3 V6 had that problem at ~25K miles. The lifters were
replaced under warranty.

The cause in my case was my short 4-mile commute. In the winter time the oil
would form sludge from excessive water in the oil (water being a byproduct of
combustion). Since my commute was so short, the oil didn't get hot enough to
allow for the water evaporation to occur. The resulting sludge clogged the oil
passages to the lifters and they became starved for lubrication and eventually
started to stick.

Since I had the lifters replaced, I change the oil ever 3 months or less in the
winter months, even if I've only traveled 2000 miles or less. And, I use
synthetic oil (Mobil-1 or Castrol Syntec...whichever I can get). I also try
and get her out on longer runs more often, when I can. I haven't had even a
hint of the sludge problem since.

Not sure what you can do once the lifters start sticking though, except replace
them. Perhaps some others here have some ideas.

m...

Old November 12th 04, 11:39 PM
James C. Reeves

[...]

m...

Old November 13th 04, 03:52 AM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:39:53 -0500, "James C. Reeves"
> wrote:

>My 97 GC with the 3.3 V6 had that problem at ~25K miles. The lifters were
>replaced under warranty.
>
>The cause in my case was my short 4-mile commute. In the winter time the oil
>would form sludge from excessive water in the oil (water being a byproduct of
>combustion). Since my commute was so short, the oil didn't get hot enough to
>allow for the water evaporation to occur. The resulting sludge clogged the oil
>passages to the lifters and they became starved for lubrication and eventually
>started to stick.
>
>Since I had the lifters replaced, I change the oil ever 3 months or less in the
>winter months, even if I've only traveled 2000 miles or less. And, I use
>synthetic oil (Mobil-1 or Castrol Syntec...whichever I can get). I also try
>and get her out on longer runs more often, when I can. I haven't had even a
>hint of the sludge problem since.
>
>Not sure what you can do once the lifters start sticking though, except replace
>them. Perhaps some others here have some ideas.
>

>"Roger" > wrote in message
om...
>| 98 Plymouth Voyager has noisy lifters, oil level is ok. Any
>| suggestions out there? Rog

A good engine flush, followed by adding Lucas oil stabilizer or
Bardahl2 will often clean them up and get them quiet.
A quart of Dexron ATF in the crankcase for a 50 mile run just before
the change is a gentle, yet often effective flush.
The 3 month max oil change limit is the key to preventing the problem
in the first place, and synthetic oil tends to be more stable than
dyno oil - but keep in mind it STILL needs to be changed every 3
months in short trip winter conditions - so I believe it is a waste of
money.

Noisy in cold weather for short time Graham Audi 11 December 8th 04 04:03 PM
Noisy in cold weather for short time Graham BMW 11 December 8th 04 04:03 PM
Hmmmm, noisy...... Catman Alfa Romeo 0 December 2nd 04 09:24 PM
2000 Dodge Neon (Ticking, Noisy starting engine) Ken Dodge 14 April 23rd 04 04:06 PM