Assumption of Guilt.

Old January 30th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Bernd Felsche

Default Assumption of Guilt.

"jaybird" > writes:

>Not at all. In our nation a person has every right to defend
>themselves in court.

But you need recourse to the financial resources of a State to do it.

> You should feel privileged that you can here
>rather than having no recourse as in many other countries.

And the government knows which countries so that they can ship you
there for indefinite detention.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | "If we let things terrify us,
X against HTML mail | life will not be worth living."
/ \ and postings | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.
Old January 30th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
jaybird > wrote:

>"Matthew T. Russotto" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> jaybird > wrote:

>>>It depends on what part you're referring to. Civil penalties are not the
>>>same as criminal penalties, making civil law non-criminal.

>> Right. So a $200 "civil" fine is somehow a different penalty than a
>> $200 "criminal" fine?

>Nope. Those parts are pretty much the same.

OK, so a $200 civil traffic ticket on your driving record is somehow a
different penalty than a $200 criminal traffic ticket on your driving record?
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old January 30th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Brent P > wrote:
>In article >, jaybird wrote:
>
>> Alrighty. Political views and speech are not violations of law, but not
>> mentioning your funding source apparently is.

>Until S1 becomes law.

Which part of S1 were you referring to?

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old January 30th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel

jaybird wrote:
> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>
>>jaybird wrote:

>>>The courts have been around for over 200 years. That's just the way that
>>>our system has worked. And no, my profession has had no impact on a
>>>ticket, I just don't put myself in the position to get one.
>>>

>>How is it, then, that I received a citation for driving in a LEGAL manner?
>>I'll tell you... a cop was trying to write a ticket to someone; came
>>flying up behind me trying to get me to speed, and wasn't paying attention
>>to what the speed limit actually was. He was willing to bend the truth a
>>little, as well, or at least rely on dead reckoning rather than the
>>legally required method of pacing. Now tell me how I'm supposed to avoid
>>getting a ticket when there are cops like that out there?
>>
>>Note that I'm not saying ALL cops are like that - just enough that I have
>>a healthy fear of being pulled over by any of them.
>>
>>I'd be interested to see how well traffic court was working in 1806, since
>>you imply that it's been around since then. It's really odd, since the
>>automobile wouldn't come into use until around 90 years later.

> There were no automobiles back then, nate. They didn't arrive until the
> early 1900's. Our courts, however, have been in existence as long as our
> nation has.

Yes, but TRAFFIC court, which isn't a real court at all, hasn't been
around nearly as long. Nor does it dispense justice particularly well,
although it does a fine job of raking in fine dollars. And yes, there
were automobiles in private hands as early as the 1890s.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 30th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel

jaybird wrote:
> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>
>>jaybird wrote:

om...

>>>Then I'll plea not guilty, get a court date, and come prepared to defend
>>>myself. If I can't do so comfortably, then I'll hire an attorney to
>>>represent me.
>>>

>>And isn't that just as much of a penalty as paying the ticket itself?
>>Either way, you lose.

> Not at all. In our nation a person has every right to defend themselves in
> court. You should feel privileged that you can here rather than having no
> recourse as in many other countries.

Fat lot of good it does me, however. Generally in a traffic court, a
"preponderance of evidence" is all that is required meaning that if the
cop shows up I have no chance of defending myself since there's no jury
and it's essentially my word against a police officer. That's a real
fair system there, that is. If traffic court were a real court "beyond
a reasonable doubt" would be the standard used and there would be an
actual jury of my peers hearing the case.

nate

Old January 30th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel

jaybird wrote:
> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>
>>jaybird wrote:
>>
>>>"Brent P" > wrote in message
om...

>>>Misunderstanding on your part. Speeding as it applies to my personal
>>>vehicle since police vehicles are exempt from speed restrictions in this
>>>state.
>>>

>>When responding to an emergency.

> Not in Texas.

Everywhere. Unless you want us all to think you're a hypocritical
asshole. Of course, most of us already do, so you're not going to
change a lot of minds.

Now why is it safe for *you* to speed without any lights or sirens, but
when *I* do it it's unsafe?

nate

Old January 30th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel

jaybird wrote:
> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>
>>jaybird wrote:
>>
>>>"necromancer" > wrote in
>>>message th.net...

>>>Because the citation was enough to have them cease their breach of the
>>>peace.
>>>

>>Do tickets stop people from speeding?

> I sure hope so.

Well, you're wrong, they don't do squat, unless you are going to argue
that there just aren't enough cops out there. You'd need about one cop
for every driver on the road if you'd expect to get any kind of
compliance around here. I don't think anyone actually expects drivers
to obey the speed limit, it's just a handy excuse for police to pull
over anyone they think is suspicious.

nate

Old January 30th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article > , Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
> In article >,
> Brent P > wrote:
>>In article >, jaybird wrote:
>>
>>> Alrighty. Political views and speech are not violations of law, but not
>>> mentioning your funding source apparently is.

>>Until S1 becomes law.

> Which part of S1 were you referring to?

The part where anyone (paid) who's political views reach more than 500
people has to register as a lobbiest. Some interpetations have it
applying to regular people, but to me one has to be paid to do it for it
to be applicable. I find the two equally offensive actually, because it
could function to silence political talk over the airwaves, internet, and
print media since a lot of people are paid to cover that and have
opinions.

Section is 220 as I recall.

Feel free to give your reading of it. I find it to be a convoluted
language that will probably be sorted out in the courts with the first
person with deep enough pockets to make a stand.

Old January 30th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Brent P > wrote:

>> Which part of S1 were you referring to?

>The part where anyone (paid) who's political views reach more than 500
>people has to register as a lobbiest. Some interpetations have it
>applying to regular people, but to me one has to be paid to do it for it
>to be applicable. I find the two equally offensive actually, because it
>could function to silence political talk over the airwaves, internet, and
>print media since a lot of people are paid to cover that and have
>opinions.

It appears this section did not make it into the bill as passed by the
Senate. I agree with your interpretation; it would have only applied
to people paid to spread political views. It's aimed at astroturfing,
but of course the devil is in the interpretation. For instance
because the EFF sent me a T-shirt, any political remarks I made on
Usenet could be considered (by an unreasonable stretch by a
deliberately abusive prosecutor) to be paid lobbying.
result in a fully-depreciated one.