Cheap, reliable used Civic? Finding cheap/reliable Civic to last 3 years?

Old April 8th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Cheap, reliable used Civic? Finding cheap/reliable Civic to last 3years?

wrote:

> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> > In article >,
> > AZ Nomad > wrote:
> >
> > > A 12 year old car w/ 58K miles? Sounds like it got an odometer replacement.

> > Nope. One owner--my mother.

> That'd be the used-car buyer's dream car. Kinda like a "barn-find".
> You'd get a lot more for that up here in Chicago.

Or on ebay...

JT
Old April 8th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote:

> In article >,
> SoCalMike > wrote:
>
> > > I have a 94 Civic DX 4 door automatic w/air and 58K miles that we're
> > > selling for $3K.
> > >

> > if its clean, its going to sell immediately. might wanna ask a lil bit more?

> Maybe. I'll give it a try.
>
> So far, it's available to family members. This weekend I'll take
> pictures and put it on craigslist. I'll probably ask $3500 initially,
> and take $3K.
>
> We do want to move it, though.
>
> I guess the $3500 is legitimate because last March we did $1200 worth of
> maintenance on it--timing belt et al., brakes, and a couple of other
> things. Tires are good, too--so it's ready to roll for someone for at
> least 3 years.

One consideration is where the car resides... Rust belt, southwest US,
etc. A '94 Civic from New England would be worth considerably less than
one from Arizona for the same mileage car.

JT
Old April 8th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Seth wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Well as the saying goes, "Save some GAS ride a MOTORCYCLE!" For $5,999
> > you can buy a brand new Yamaha Cruiser VROD. You won't have to worry

> A VROD is a helluva lot more than $6k, and it ain't made by Yamaha.
>
> Did you mean a V-Star Classic?

Oh yes, my error. I did mean to say V-Star Classic. I love that bike
and I would love to purchase one when I'm ready. I want the one that's
metallic read and silver.

The only fault I find with it is the rear brake drum. As an option can
I get a rear disc installed?

East-

Old April 8th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Seth wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Well as the saying goes, "Save some GAS ride a MOTORCYCLE!" For $5,999
>> > you can buy a brand new Yamaha Cruiser VROD. You won't have to worry

>> A VROD is a helluva lot more than $6k, and it ain't made by Yamaha.
>>
>> Did you mean a V-Star Classic?

> Oh yes, my error. I did mean to say V-Star Classic. I love that bike
> and I would love to purchase one when I'm ready. I want the one that's
> metallic read and silver.
>
> The only fault I find with it is the rear brake drum. As an option can
> I get a rear disc installed?

Don't know much about it. I'm a Beemer guy myself. K1200RSA.

Old April 8th 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> Don't know much about it. I'm a Beemer guy myself. K1200RSA.

Seth, what is the new R Bike going to be like? Will it still utilize
an air cooled horizontally opposed boxer type engine in some trim
levels?

I'm the type that would like a bike for different occasions. In my
Bike collection I want a BMW, Yamaha, Honda and possibly a Harley. I
say possibly because I'm not so thrilled about the high maintainance
costs, high initial costs, and the high theft rate of the Harleys.
Worse than the rest of the Brands.

The Yamaha will be a cruiser. The Honda a Sport or a Standard. The
BMW a Sport Touring. The Harley, a Cruiser or a Roadster.

The problem with Honda is the only Standard they offer happens to have
a drum brake front and back. A front disc brake would have to be
swapped off of a Rebel. It is an interchangeable part.

East-

Old April 8th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 7 Apr 2006 08:09:32 -0700, wrote:

>Just about exactly a year ago, I was looking for the exact same thing
>you are. I bought a 92 Civic EX loaded with 126k for $2600. but knew
>there were some repairs to make. Engine, trans, AC, and body were all
>decent, but I spent over $1k in the past year on suspension, brakes,
>tires, etc. You usually get what you pay for.

Which in your case is not too bad. A new Civic would have cost you
$1000 in interest alone. Depreciation and higher insurance would be at
least $2000 more. Total out of pocket expenses might have been $4,600
plus insurance plus your down payment. And, except for the down
payment, you can pretty well count on getting the same thing next
year. About the time you get it paid off (or maybe before), you can
expect to buy... brakes and tires.

Your used Civic cost less than $100 in interest (money you could have
earned on the cash I assume you paid for the car.) You saved on
insurance and your car may be now worth more than you paid for it
because it has new tires and brakes. Your out of pocket expenses were
$1100 plus (lower) insurance and your initial $2600. Next year you
could easily get away for a couple hundred dollars or it could cost
you a couple thousand. It can't get close to that $4,600 you would
have paid if you had bought new. Even if the car burns to the ground
tomorrow, it won't have cost you as much as a new car would have.

Both cars incur fuel and maintenance expenses which are about the same
over the long haul. So will repairs if you keep the new car long
enough. One will give you the joys of new car ownership. The other
is likely to be vexing at times but can still be a joy to own. If you
drive both cars into the ground, cost, joy and vexation will tend to
equalize.

Some people are so prissy or status conscious or whatever that they
have to buy a new car every two or three years. I don't know if you
get what you pay for, but I do know you pay a lot for that.

Old April 8th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:21:12 GMT, AZ Nomad >
wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:24:36 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty > wrote:
>

>>In article . com>,
>> wrote:

>>> If it's reliable and not going to need any repairs, it's not
>>> in your price range.

>>Not true.

>>I have a 94 Civic DX 4 door automatic w/air and 58K miles that we're
>>selling for $3K.

>A 12 year old car w/ 58K miles? Sounds like it got an odometer replacement.

I expect to have a 16 year old Civic with 29K for sale soon. It is my
mother's car and she is giving up driving. The odometer has not been
replaced or tampered, etc.

Any idea what this might be worth?

Old April 8th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 7 Apr 2006 09:48:34 -0700, wrote:

wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm going to be moving to Texas for work and will be buying my first
>> car there. I plan to stay there for about 3 years. The company is
>> supplying a rental car for the first month, during which time i will
>> have to find my own car.
>>

>I had pretty good luck with the following when buying used cars for my
>kids. I made repeated visits to new car dealerships and got to know the
>used car sales managers. I kept going back (weekly), asking about cars
>traded-in since my last visit. I was able to find high mile trade-ins,
>single owner vehicles at low prices. Most dealers do not sell these
>cars to individuals, instead they get rid of them via wholesalers. You
>have to beat the wholesaler to the dealership (pretty easy since the
>wholesaler generally visits the dealerships on a fixed schedule). But
>I'll admit this took more than one month. I was able to buy two Accords
>at prices close to the trade-in values listed at Edmunds. Don't neglect
>to negotiate any required service work at the time of purchase.
>
>Or, as suggested, lease. For example about $3K down and $219/month puts
>you into an Acura RSX. If you arrange for a lease like this before you
>arrive in Texas your employer may be willing to give you the cash
>equivalent of a month's rental car.

Personally, I would pick the new Civic Si over the RSX (and I have
been driving Integras for 20 years now). In fact, this is the first
new Honda that would tempt me to trade in my '94 GS-R. Maybe in a
couple years.

I think the OP is a young person just starting out his(?) first real
job. Understandably, he doesn't have a lot of savings and he may very
likely have a lot of school debt. I think he is wisely buying less
car than he could conceivably afford. He also

I think he could very easily find a car in the $3 - 5K range that
would serve him well for three years. If he sets aside $100 a month
for repairs, I would bet he would actually have a small nest egg by
the time he sells the car for $2 - 3K.

So what kind of engineer are you, shiftcontrol8?

Old April 8th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Don't know much about it. I'm a Beemer guy myself. K1200RSA.

> Seth, what is the new R Bike going to be like? Will it still utilize
> an air cooled horizontally opposed boxer type engine in some trim
> levels?

Which "R" bike? They have many. I may eventuallt get an R1200R, but more
likely a K1200S or K1200R first.

> I'm the type that would like a bike for different occasions. In my
> Bike collection I want a BMW, Yamaha, Honda and possibly a Harley. I
> say possibly because I'm not so thrilled about the high maintainance
> costs, high initial costs, and the high theft rate of the Harleys.
> Worse than the rest of the Brands.

Well, no cruiser in my immediate future. I find that riding position to be
uncomfortable and bad for my back.

Old April 8th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Gordon McGrew wrote:
> I expect to have a 16 year old Civic with 29K for sale soon. It is my
> mother's car and she is giving up driving. The odometer has not been
> replaced or tampered, etc.
>
> Any idea what this might be worth?

a 1990? what body style and trim level? garaged? paint still shiny, etc?

if it happpened to be an Si hatch, id give ya $5000 for it