Cheap, reliable used Civic? Finding cheap/reliable Civic to last 3 years?

Old April 7th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Cheap, reliable used Civic? Finding cheap/reliable Civic to last3 years?

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article . com>,
> wrote:
>
>> If it's reliable and not going to need any repairs, it's not
>> in your price range.

> Not true.
>
> I have a 94 Civic DX 4 door automatic w/air and 58K miles that we're
> selling for $3K.

if its clean, its going to sell immediately. might wanna ask a lil bit more?
Old April 7th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

AZ Nomad wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:24:36 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty > wrote:
>

>> In article . com>,
>> wrote:

>>> If it's reliable and not going to need any repairs, it's not
>>> in your price range.

>> Not true.

>> I have a 94 Civic DX 4 door automatic w/air and 58K miles that we're
>> selling for $3K.

> A 12 year old car w/ 58K miles? Sounds like it got an odometer replacement.

ive got a 98 civic hatch with 52k miles. i rarely drive it aside from
rainy days, vacation trips or big shopping trips. my commuter is a
2-wheeler.
Old April 7th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >,
> SoCalMike > wrote:
>
> > > I have a 94 Civic DX 4 door automatic w/air and 58K miles that we're
> > > selling for $3K.
> > >

> > if its clean, its going to sell immediately. might wanna ask a lil bit more?

> Maybe. I'll give it a try.
>
> So far, it's available to family members. This weekend I'll take
> pictures and put it on craigslist. I'll probably ask $3500 initially,
> and take $3K.
>
> We do want to move it, though.
>
> I guess the $3500 is legitimate because last March we did $1200 worth of
> maintenance on it--timing belt et al., brakes, and a couple of other
> things. Tires are good, too--so it's ready to roll for someone for at
> least 3 years.

How 'bout offering to the OP? ;-) Your car is *exactly* what I was
looking for a year ago. Sounds like a gem. Can't keep it?

Old April 8th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Well as the saying goes, "Save some GAS ride a MOTORCYCLE!" For $5,999
you can buy a brand new Yamaha Cruiser VROD. You won't have to worry
about costly repairs or rising gas prices. Texas has ideal weather for
motorcycles. What part of Texas are you going to? San Antonio and
Houston Weather are perfect 90% of the time for riding a motorcycle.

The only time I wouldn't ride is during the 2 bad weeks out of the
winter time when it's sleeting outside with frosties.

Texas major cities have such a good mass trasit system anyway that if
you only had a motorcycle, you can easily ride METRO at a nominal price
on thse few days out of the year when it's icy outside.

East-

Old April 8th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well as the saying goes, "Save some GAS ride a MOTORCYCLE!" For $5,999
> you can buy a brand new Yamaha Cruiser VROD. You won't have to worry

A VROD is a helluva lot more than $6k, and it ain't made by Yamaha.

Did you mean a V-Star Classic?

Old April 8th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to be moving to Texas for work and will be buying my first
> car there. I plan to stay there for about 3 years. The company is
> supplying a rental car for the first month, during which time i will
> have to find my own car.
>
> I'm looking for a cheap used car. I've been checking out Honda Civic's
> and Toyota Camrys on Yahoo autos and houstoncarfinder.com, and the
> cheapest prices i've been able to find come in at about $7000.
>
> My question: I would like to get a car for $2000-$4000, that will last
> me 2-3 years of driving in the city, and one which I won't have to fix
> often.
>
> Is it totally impossible to get a car in this price range at all? Why
> can't I find any cars in this price range on the internet? Will it be
> easier to find a car in this price range by looking through the local
> papers when i get there?
>
> Is it unreasonable to expect not to have to repair it often if i want
> it for only a few years and how much would repairs typically run?
>
> If I want a car for only a few years, and want to pay as little for it
> as possible, yet want it to be reliable what's the best way to go?
>
> Thank you.

Buy a 100k mile warrantied $9K (Some dealers offer free gas for the
first year) Kia and enjoy your stay in Texas.

BTW, what part of Texas will you be in?

JT