Noisy lifters

Old November 16th 05, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Noisy lifters

Hi,

I have a 95 XJ, 4.0L I6 with 297,000 on the vehicle and supposedly
only 40,000 or so on the (rebuilt) engine (I wasn't given any
paperwork to back this up).

It has good oil pressure (No less than 20 psi at idle when hot, 40 psi
when cold till warmed up and 40 - 80 psi under load ...?) and the oil
is fairly new, clean and at the proper level.

There is noticeable lifter noise (Compared to my Toyota pickup's 2.4L
I4) regardless of engine temp (This is while stopped, idling, with
hood up - too much road noise to hear while driving <g>.).

So, should I have my mechanic look into this, or are these engines
just noisy?

TIA

Old November 16th 05, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

noneyabusiness did pass the time by typing:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 95 XJ, 4.0L I6 with 297,000 on the vehicle and supposedly
> only 40,000 or so on the (rebuilt) engine (I wasn't given any
> paperwork to back this up).
>
> It has good oil pressure (No less than 20 psi at idle when hot, 40 psi
> when cold till warmed up and 40 - 80 psi under load ...?) and the oil
> is fairly new, clean and at the proper level.

The max (before bypass) is 70psi, time to clean the connector on the
oil pressure sender. It's down by the oil filter.

> There is noticeable lifter noise (Compared to my Toyota pickup's 2.4L
> I4) regardless of engine temp (This is while stopped, idling, with
> hood up - too much road noise to hear while driving <g>.).
>
> So, should I have my mechanic look into this, or are these engines
> just noisy?

Even when new the I6 is noisy. But sometimes lifter noise is actually a
tiny crack in the exhaust header. You will know this because it tends to get
quiet as the engine warms up.

Sure you arn't listening to the injectors?

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old November 16th 05, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

As another reply stated these engines seem to be noisy almost by design.
Piston slap is the biggie. If it sounds like a diesel at idle it's piston
slap and RESTORE will quiet it down.

JoBo

Old November 16th 05, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:27:37 -0600, "DougW"
> wrote:

>noneyabusiness did pass the time by typing:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a 95 XJ, 4.0L I6 with 297,000 on the vehicle and supposedly
>> only 40,000 or so on the (rebuilt) engine (I wasn't given any
>> paperwork to back this up).
>>
>> It has good oil pressure (No less than 20 psi at idle when hot, 40 psi
>> when cold till warmed up and 40 - 80 psi under load ...?) and the oil
>> is fairly new, clean and at the proper level.

>The max (before bypass) is 70psi, time to clean the connector on the
>oil pressure sender. It's down by the oil filter.
>
>> There is noticeable lifter noise (Compared to my Toyota pickup's 2.4L
>> I4) regardless of engine temp (This is while stopped, idling, with
>> hood up - too much road noise to hear while driving <g>.).
>>
>> So, should I have my mechanic look into this, or are these engines
>> just noisy?

>Even when new the I6 is noisy. But sometimes lifter noise is actually a
>tiny crack in the exhaust header. You will know this because it tends to get
>quiet as the engine warms up.
>
>Sure you arn't listening to the injectors?

Dunno... sounds like lifters to me, but I'm not a trained mechanic ;-)
ACTUALLY, I think I should have stated it sounds like it needs a valve
adjustment (klackety klack), but maybe it's the same thing.

All I can say is that it sounds kinda like my Toyota did when the oil
level was getting low.

A friend with a 98 TJ also said to be aware of potential header
problems, so I'll keep an eye on it but the sound seems to remain
regardless of engine temp.
Old November 16th 05, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Got a manual trans? When you're idling in neutral, press the clutch
pedal to the floor and see if your klackety stops klacking.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old November 17th 05, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Try RISLONE, it worked for my 90 XJ........John

Old November 17th 05, 07:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:16:18 GMT, Steve >
wrote:

>Got a manual trans? When you're idling in neutral, press the clutch
>pedal to the floor and see if your klackety stops klacking.

Nope, 4sp auto.

>Steve
>http://xjeep.dyndns.org
>
>noneyabusiness wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:27:37 -0600, "DougW"
>> > wrote:

[snip]

Can I "service" a noisy fuel pump? Christoph Bollig Audi 9 March 24th 05 03:01 PM
Valve Lifters Al Mazda 0 February 8th 05 02:38 AM
Engle W100 and compatible Lifters Joao Eliseu VW air cooled 1 January 25th 05 01:45 AM
Noisy lifters Roger Chrysler 22 November 21st 04 05:44 AM