Spain Gets Smart - Cuts Highway Speed Limit to 50 mph, City to 25 mph

Old August 1st 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking,rec.sport.golf
Larrybud

Default Spain Gets Smart - Cuts Highway Speed Limit to 50 mph, City to 25 mph

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" >
wrote in .70:

> BAH > wrote in
> :
>

>> Um ... how about the many years of lives wasted by driving 50
>> on highways designed for 75?

> Hey stupid. What makes you think highways are designed for 75 or
> for any particular speed??

Because of the radius of the turns, and the long exit and entrance
ramps.

Old August 1st 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
BAH

On 01 Aug 2008 15:03:10 GMT, Larrybud > wrote:

>"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" >
>wrote in .70:
>
>> Save gas,money, and thousands of lives a year. What's to argue?
>>

>Why don't we just make it 25mph on all roads?

Yup, same logic applies. Fewer fatalities, much less gas used.

Better-tuned cars, properly inflated tires, and high quality plugs do
MUCH more to reduce consumption than limiting the speed to 55 could
ever do.

Old August 1st 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking,rec.sport.golf
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Larrybud > wrote in
. 245.20:

> "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" >
> wrote in .70:
>

>> Hey stupid. What makes you think highways are designed for 75 or
>> for any particular speed??

> Because of the radius of the turns, and the long exit and entrance
> ramps.

Long ramps??? HAHAHAHA. That's a laugh. The ones i see are way too short
and that causes huge problems. Mergers don't have enough space to reach the
speed limit. One more reason speed limits should be lowered.

Old August 1st 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking,rec.sport.golf
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Larrybud > wrote in
. 245.20:

> "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" >
> wrote in .70:
>
>> Save gas,money, and thousands of lives a year. What's to argue?
>>

> Why don't we just make it 25mph on all roads?

50 would work just fine if it was strictly enforced and if highway
criminals were punished with severe penalties. Next question.

Old August 1st 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking,rec.sport.golf
BAH

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:04:07 -0500, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
MURDERERS" > wrote:

>Larrybud > wrote in
.245.20:

>> "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" >
>> wrote in .70:
>>
>>> Save gas,money, and thousands of lives a year. What's to argue?
>>>

>> Why don't we just make it 25mph on all roads?
>>

>50 would work just fine if it was strictly enforced and if highway
>criminals were punished with severe penalties. Next question.

We live in a Democrcay. If the VAST majority of people break the
speed limit, then which is wrong? The people, or the speed limit?

Old August 1st 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking,rec.sport.golf
BAH

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:01:59 -0500, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
MURDERERS" > wrote:

>> Because of the radius of the turns, and the long exit and entrance
>> ramps.

>Long ramps??? HAHAHAHA. That's a laugh. The ones i see are way too short
>and that causes huge problems. Mergers don't have enough space to reach the
>speed limit. One more reason speed limits should be lowered.

That's only because of people like you who haven't figured out what
that pedal on the right is used for.

Old August 1st 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Greg Goss

Larrybud > wrote:

>"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" >
>wrote in .70:
>
>> BAH > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> Um ... how about the many years of lives wasted by driving 50
>>> on highways designed for 75?

>> Hey stupid. What makes you think highways are designed for 75 or
>> for any particular speed??

>Because of the radius of the turns, and the long exit and entrance
>ramps.

The long on-ramps are for the future 150 MPG cars.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Old August 1st 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking,rec.sport.golf
Greg Goss

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote:

>Larrybud > wrote in
.245.20:

>> "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" >
>> wrote in .70:
>>

>>> Hey stupid. What makes you think highways are designed for 75 or
>>> for any particular speed??

>> Because of the radius of the turns, and the long exit and entrance
>> ramps.

>Long ramps??? HAHAHAHA. That's a laugh. The ones i see are way too short
>and that causes huge problems. Mergers don't have enough space to reach the
>speed limit. One more reason speed limits should be lowered.

I guess it depends where you drive. My current car has 65 HP (with
the electric booster running) and my last car had about 65 HP without
any hybrid stuff. Either one had no problem with merging onto
freeways everywhere except for one on-ramp in Vancouver that has since
been redesigned. Even for that one, I preferred the "before" picture.
If I have no problem merging with 65 horses, then anything newer than
a sixties VW should have no problem.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Old August 1st 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking,rec.sport.golf
Greg Goss

BAH > wrote:

>On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:04:07 -0500, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
>MURDERERS" > wrote:
>
>>Larrybud > wrote in
3.245.20:

>>> Why don't we just make it 25mph on all roads?
>>>

>>50 would work just fine if it was strictly enforced and if highway
>>criminals were punished with severe penalties. Next question.

>We live in a Democrcay. If the VAST majority of people break the
>speed limit, then which is wrong? The people, or the speed limit?

Shrug. If you don't want to regulate the speed to control gas
consumption, then let the market do it. Do you complain about gas
prices at $4 or $5? How about when it goes to $10?
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27
Old August 1st 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking,rec.sport.golf
DaveB[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 11:45:50 -0600, Greg Goss > wrote:

>BAH > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:04:07 -0500, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
>>MURDERERS" > wrote:
>>
>>>Larrybud > wrote in
53.245.20:

>>>50 would work just fine if it was strictly enforced and if highway
>>>criminals were punished with severe penalties. Next question.

>>We live in a Democrcay. If the VAST majority of people break the
>>speed limit, then which is wrong? The people, or the speed limit?

>Shrug. If you don't want to regulate the speed to control gas
>consumption, then let the market do it. Do you complain about gas
>prices at $4 or $5? How about when it goes to $10?
>--
>Tomorrow is today already.
>Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

They should do it by income.