Citizen Issues Parking Ticket to Cop

Old May 3rd 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
Douglas W. \Popeye\ Frederick

Default Citizen Issues Parking Ticket to Cop

"JerryD(upstateNY)" > wrote in message
> The original 944 was widely regarded as one of the best handling street
> cars ever made for quite a long time after its introduction. It's still
> pretty respectable even today. But the point that i was trying to make
> could have been made with any number of other cars that are far more
> common - there's lots of cars out there with better handling than a cop
> car.<<<<<<<<<
>
> The reason many cars don't handle well in turns is the steering geometry
> the "powers that be" have decided is best for the average motorist.
> They decided a car would be best if just didn't turn when trying to make a
> sharp corner at high speed.
> Better that if the rearend of the car came around.
> The steering is set up so the top of the right front wheel leans OUT when
> turing left and the left front wheel leans OUT when turning right.
> This make the tire fold under the wheel and loose it's grip.

FYI, suspensions are set up for tire wear and fuel economy, just as
important to the average driver as handling.

The disparity in camber is for road crown.

If the alignment was identical from side to side, it would always pull
significantly to the right.

A skilled, armed man lives on a plane of security and contentment
different from that of others. The man who cannot cut it, envies,
fears and sometimes hates the man who can. -Cooper

Popeye/ www.finalprotectivefire.com

Old May 3rd 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
Brent P[_1_]

On 2008-05-02, Harry K > wrote:
> On May 1, 8:26*pm, Brent P > wrote:
>> On 2008-05-02, Harry K > wrote:
>>
>> > Actually, I should have limited that statement to 'freeway/highway'.
>> > Of course they won't handle race course (roadrace) condistions all
>> > that well.

>> You've never driven an American full size sedan have you? Imagine you
>> put your sofa on a chasis with 4 wheels. Imagine that this chasis
>> isolated you from as much input from the road as possible. This is the
>> sort of car that most police cruisers in the US have come from in the
>> last 50 years or so. Sure, the police version was a little better than
>> the public version of the same model car, however the public has a far
>> wider choice of vehicles, most of which are superior to a living room on
>> wheels with stiffer springs, a thicker sway bar, and an oil cooler.

> Now say you have equipped it with heavy duty performance suspension,
> bit engine, coolers, etc...sound like a squad car yet? Your 'choice'
> is out there but very few people buy them.

Huh? yeah the vast majority of such cars are sold into police and taxi
service....

> I will stick by my 95% figure for all cars on the highway. Damn few
> of them are either 'performance' models or sports cars and even the
> ones that are are driven by people who have no clue as to the vehicle
> capability.

The torqueless wonder car handled better than a crown vic. Police
cruisers are slightly better if at all than the model they started
as. That's it. Since that model is usually so far behind the curve as it
is, there is no way in hell a police cruiser is better than more than
cars that haven't been properly maintained or are decades old. The crown
vic chasis represents the engineering of 1979 itself!

Old May 3rd 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
Alan Baker

In article >,
"JerryD\(upstateNY\)" > wrote:

> The original 944 was widely regarded as one of the best handling street
> cars ever made for quite a long time after its introduction. It's still
> pretty respectable even today. But the point that i was trying to make
> could have been made with any number of other cars that are far more
> common - there's lots of cars out there with better handling than a cop
> car.<<<<<<<<<
>
> The reason many cars don't handle well in turns is the steering geometry the
> "powers that be" have decided is best for the average motorist.
> They decided a car would be best if just didn't turn when trying to make a
> sharp corner at high speed.
> Better that if the rearend of the car came around.
> The steering is set up so the top of the right front wheel leans OUT when
> turing left and the left front wheel leans OUT when turning right.
> This make the tire fold under the wheel and loose it's grip.

Ummmm...

No.

The reason cars are "set up" so that the wheels lean outward in turns is
that to set them up otherwise leads to suspensions that also cause
drastic movement in the roll centres and/or very high roll centres such
as on the Chevy Corvair which lead to suspension "jacking" and tuck
under at the limit.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old May 3rd 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
N8N > wrote:

>i'm sure that the 944 in my driveway can outperform even a brand new
>Police Interceptor in every way save for acceleration.

And collision survivability.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old May 3rd 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Brent P > wrote:
>On 2008-05-01, Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick > wrote:
>
>Those changes are extremely minor and are more for DURABILITY, not
>handling. Although I do think police SUVs actually get a handling
>package. But anyway, it's still a big-assed sedan or SUV and
>handles as such, my mustang will run circles around it and my mustang
>isn't even close to world class handling.

I think the Crown Vics do get an anti-roll bar for handling. And
tougher shocks and springs, though I suspect that's largely for
durability (e.g. when running over and/or into curbs).
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old May 3rd 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Brent P > wrote:
>On 2008-05-01, Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick > wrote:
>
>Yes, that quote confirms exactly what I wrote, police vehicles have
>things like oil coolers to handle the abuses cops put them through but
>nothing special for highway driving.

That's because highway driving -- even at 75mph -- is so far inside the
performance envelope of ANY modern car that nothing special is needed
for it. The only even close to modern cars (note cars, not
trucks/SUVs) for which that hasn't been true are the 3-cylinder
econoboxes like the old Hyundai Excel. And they weren't _unsafe_ at
high speeds, they were simply barely able to reach them.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old May 3rd 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
SheBlewHimDidYouBlowHim

good, when a goddamn pile of **** pig breaks the law, his/her penalty should
be 100 times of a normal person

DEATH TO PIGS, KILL THEM ALL

Old May 3rd 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
SheBlewHimDidYouBlowHim

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >, Felix Dzherzhinsky
> wrote:
>>"Unfortunately for Officer Stensgaard, Bryant had recently passed the
>>Oregon bar exam, and decided to pursue the matter further."
>>
>>There's the heart of the matter; a newly minted lawyer looking to make a
>>name for himself. Not a citizen concerned about a violation of the law.

> If he isn't doing this on principle it is the wrong way to make a name
> for one's self. If where he lives is anything like Chicago &
> C(r)ook county, IL (and other places nation wide) He's going to have to
> move and never set foot in that town again regardless of the outcome.
> He's going to find himself pulled over ALOT. \

THEN THERE'S GOING TO BE A LOT OF DEAD COPS

DEATH TO PIGS, KILL THEM ALL

THE ONLY GOOD COP IS A DEAD COP