Gearbox Snag turning into (minor) disaster

Old May 2nd 07, 08:57 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Graeme Cosgrove

Default Gearbox Snag turning into (minor) disaster

"preliminary" diagnosis is that the gearbox seized.5th gear is toast.
Engine mounts are damaged. "Estimate" for repairs to follow...but when
the man sucks his teeth and says "interesting" you know you need to be
sitting down when you get it.

2001 156 2.0 TS Veloce with 74K miles will be worth what? £3-4K? At
what point does it become uneconomical to repair?

Very depressing.

Old May 3rd 07, 07:33 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Wed, 02 May 2007 20:57:31 +0100, Graeme Cosgrove
> wrote:

>2001 156 2.0 TS Veloce with 74K miles will be worth what? £3-4K? At
>what point does it become uneconomical to repair?

Well, in Autotrader, trade dealers appear to be trying to get
3500-4000 UKP for them up here. This seems to follow Parkers where a
private sale is much closer to 3000 and part ex slightly less. This
would suggest that your car should be valued at about 3000 *when
repaired* and valued at 3000 less repair cost now.

>Very depressing.

Well don't look at eBay prices then - haven't checked the details but
there are a good few failing to sell at below 2000UKP.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old May 3rd 07, 11:49 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S[_2_]

"Graeme Cosgrove" > wrote in message

> At what point does it become uneconomical to repair?

About now I would say.

Or if I was in a more cynical mood, just after purchase.

Old May 3rd 07, 06:22 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Graeme Cosgrove

Thanks for the constructive comments.

Anyway...5th gear had stripped itself of teeth and the debris had jammed
the selector. So gearbox out, new gear, selector etc. Having a new
clutch fitted since it's in bits anyway. Taking the opportunity to have
some more work done as it needed a service and a new radiator.

Not cheap, but repairable and within my budget, garage suggesting about
a grand.

Old May 3rd 07, 07:10 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"Graeme Cosgrove" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the constructive comments.
>
> Anyway...5th gear had stripped itself of teeth and the debris had jammed
> the selector. So gearbox out, new gear, selector etc. Having a new
> clutch fitted since it's in bits anyway. Taking the opportunity to have
> some more work done as it needed a service and a new radiator.
>
> Not cheap, but repairable and within my budget, garage suggesting about a
> grand.

Sounds like you are doing OK at a grand.

Hope it all works out OK for you.

Old May 3rd 07, 08:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Graeme Cosgrove

Thanks...scrapping it would have been like shooting your dog.

Probably less messy but you know what I mean?

Old May 3rd 07, 09:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"Graeme Cosgrove" > wrote in message
> Thanks...scrapping it would have been like shooting your dog.
>
> Probably less messy but you know what I mean?

No mate, you've lost me.

Do you mean my dog? Or proverbially?

Old May 4th 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Graeme Cosgrove

"Metaphorically"??? I should have said "...like shooting my dog..."
only I don't have one.

Sorry if I worried you or your dog.

Old May 4th 07, 07:17 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"Graeme Cosgrove" > wrote in message
> "Metaphorically"??? I should have said "...like shooting my dog..." only
> I don't have one.
>
> Sorry if I worried you or your dog.

LOL, I wondered if I had ran into you in an exchange I had in another group
some time ago based around my dog.

Hell i'm getting paranoid.

All the best,
Rick

Old May 4th 07, 08:07 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Graeme Cosgrove

Nope, I can't remember having a previous dog related correspondence.

I have my ex-wife's cat...and I'm sure there's a "pussy" joke in there
some-where!!!

R D S wrote:
> "Graeme Cosgrove" > wrote in message
>> "Metaphorically"??? I should have said "...like shooting my dog..." only
>> I don't have one.
>>
>> Sorry if I worried you or your dog.
>>

> LOL, I wondered if I had ran into you in an exchange I had in another group
> some time ago based around my dog.
>
> Hell i'm getting paranoid.
>
> All the best,
> Rick

156 Gearbox Snag - Help? Graeme Cosgrove Alfa Romeo 9 May 3rd 07 01:42 PM
Disaster! westfaliaguy VW air cooled 7 November 13th 05 02:33 PM
Chysler Hemi; A disaster? Tigger Ford Mustang 2 December 21st 04 10:31 PM
lookink for gearbox ratios for automatic gearbox bmw 528i 1998 RS BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:26 PM